“Another try at the W”

W Austin
Ranked #19 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had the chance to get back to the W Austin for a weekend trip with my fiance in September. We had a Spectacular Room on the 16th floor and it was very beautiful, modern and had a great view of downtown. The mattresses, sheets and the pillows at the W are seriously amazing. I am not even ashamed to admit that I took photos of all the tags and labels so I can recreate the bed in my home, that is how much I loved the bed!!
The bathroom still has the lighting and layout issues I reviewed about after my last stay (Last time I was here on a trip with my mom so two women getting ready was very cramped) but since this time I was with my fiance it worked out well...He didnt need any counterspace for any of his manly items so I was able to use all the space for my girly stuff. Also the issue about the open clear shower door isnt a problem when you are staying as a couple. I do still think they need better lighting for getting ready in the mirrors but all in all the room worked very well for us. We also loved the one cup coffee maker with the coffees and chai teas. A very nice treat in the morning.
The only hiccups during the trip were two small things: The first one is the free Acura service. It is advertised that they can take you anywhere within a 15 min radius free from the hotel. Last trip my mom and I were never able to make use of the service and it was not for lack of trying and we ending up joking that we didnt even think it existed...this trip we also tried to use the service on a rainy day and were told by a slightly crabby lady that the car service was not running due to the rain. It was just so funny because the joke continued about the service not actually existing and we got quite a chuckle out of it. That being said the very next day we were finally able to make use of the service and it was a great experience! The vehicle was very nice and the driver was friendly. Another small complaint is that the Sunday morning that we were leaving we got a wakeup call at 6am...neither myself nor my fiance ordered one which was a bit irritating but we had an alarm set for 7am so it wasnt too much of a big deal...just would have been nice to get that extra hour of sleep. All in all our stay at the W was very pleasant and it is a very nice hotel in a city that I have grown to love so much. I cant wait to get back to Austin!

1  Thank Flipflopyyc
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Hello and thank you for your return visit to the W Austin. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations including our bed along with the coffee maker. My sincerest apologies about the mistaken wake-up call and that the Acura car service wasn't able to provide drop-off services due to the weather. I greatly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the W Austin again soon!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

The hotel is an easy walk to 6th Street which was a definite plus for our stay. The hotel staff are friendly and efficient. The lobby area was very lively on Friday and Saturday night. The beds are ridiculously comfortable. We enjoyed our stay and will be back to the W the next time we are in Austin.

1  Thank Adam A

Hello,
Thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you again for the review, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

This is a hip hotel.

Modern, hip, cool... Everything. The W is a representation of the Austin scene rolled into a hotel... with a businessman's cost added to the price.

As usual with all higher end Starwoods hotels, the Austin W is done perfectly. You will notice the small details that the W offers throughout-- dramatic art, large flowering plants, the use of color mixed in with the white, black and gray motif, retro-modern designed rooms, gaudy (yet perfectly placed) lighting fixtures and chandeliers, and the use of mood lighting at night.

You are close to 6th street and the warehouse district, but you are also walking distance to the river and parks. The bar is great at night, but Austin is best seen outside of your hotel-- go and catch some live music and have a Kobe beef burger.

Did I mention the W in Austin is hip-- even the skinny-jeans bartender serving extremely overpriced cocktails has a beard and plaid shirt on. Hip, cool...

The rooms were very large and all had great views of the city. Some have balconies. Beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was large and well lit. The rooms are of very modern design. The location is top notch and the staff was amazing. I went to the pool and thought I was in L.A.

I give this hotel very high marks and yes, you do get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the parks and see if you can get a balcony
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kinzCO

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and got to experience more of Austin like the vibrant Sixth Street entertainment district. Thanks again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I'm staying at the W for four nights whilst at a conference and have been very impressed. The staff have been extremely helpful adding to the great impression created by the hotel design. The ground floor bar / lounge has a great atmosphere and is obviously a popular hangout locally. The room I had was extremely spacious and comfortable with all the facilities you would expect from a hotel like this. The gym is probably oner of the best I've come across in a hotel and I could quite easily train in there on a regular basis and not get fed up. A great stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed at the W in Austin for a conference and even with a conference discount the room was fairly expensive. Upon arrival the valet crew was very professional, nice and quick. The check in went smooth and the gentlemen helping me was very courteous and explained how to get logged on to the wifi.

The room was modern and had some nice design elements. It had high ceilings but was not much roomier than a regular hotel. It was comfortable and the view out of my window of the downtown was nice.

They were able to store my bag while I was at the last day of the conference so I wouldn't have to tow it around with me the whole time. Their conference area was nice and the buffet food prepared by the hotel was excellent! Very professional looking and a lot of healthier options.

A nice stay overall but pricey.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Nice atmosphere, beautiful rooms, great meeting space, very friendly helpful staff. Very well located in the city to reach restaurants and places on 6th street easily. My group will go again for our 2014 conference!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tagungsveranstalter
Reviewed September 13, 2013

One of the best W hotels I've stayed at over the years. It is located downtown with great proximity to 6th street. The service was excellent and the fitness center was great. I would be happy working out on a regular basis at the fitness center there. The pool area was great and wish I had more time to enjoy it.

My only criticisms are the lobby was a little too dark and smallish compared to other W hotels. Also, the bathrooms were clean, but the shower was a little old and could be updated.

I'll certainly stay here next time I'm in Austin.