“Absolutely Disappointing”

GreenLeadersGold level
Round Rock, Texas
“Absolutely Disappointing”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a staycation last weekend, and it was a complete bust. We arrived at 2 PM (check-in is at 3 PM) and were informed that our room was not yet ready but that we would be contacted via phone when it was. Based on that information, we expected to wait, at most, 30 minutes. We were left waiting until 3:20 PM. We noticed that other people trying to check-in were having problems, as well, so we went to the front desk to see about our room status. The person we spoke to told us that there were limited numbers of deck rooms, and that housekeeping had not had enough time to finish cleaning any of them, because guests had been checking out late. We couldn't believe that their excuse was that guests had been checking out late. Obviously they need stricter rules on guest check-out times. Regardless, after being offered 2 free drinks at their bar by the manager (which we accepted indifferently), they found a room for us. After settling in, we noticed stains everywhere: yellow ones in the blue carpet under the bed and black ones all along the curtains. The bathrobes had seen better days, but they were appreciated. It took us a while to realize that the master switch needs to be on for any electrical switch or outlet to work in the room. The shower is nothing special considering what you'd expect at that price level. The deck was great, though a little awkward since you could totally see/hear your neighbors when they were out on their decks. You could see down to the pool from the deck, and it seemed like it was hosting a Spring Break party or something since there was hardly any free space in or out of the pool, but we had heard that the hotel is lively on the weekends. Needless to say, it discouraged us from going down to enjoy the pool ourselves. We called, twice, for utensils to cut/eat the cake we had brought and never received them. We were awoken at least twice by extremely raucous guests in the hallways, each instance lasting at least 15 minutes. We had reservations at Trace for brunch the next morning but decided to cancel and check-out early as our experience was so thoroughly spoiled, we couldn't stand to stay another minute. This was my first W hotel experience, and I'm afraid it will likely be my last.

Room Tip: The decks off the Spectacular Deck Rooms are actually really great, especially room 604's which...
1 Thank catcat373
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review of the W Austin. My sincerest apologies that your staycation did not meet your satisfaction and we didn't leave you with a memorable guest experience. Cleanliness issues and in-room amenities are something we pride ourselves on, so I would very much like to learn more about your stay so that I may address your specific concerns with my team. Should you be open to discussing your stay further, I can be reached at 512-542-3633 or drew.mcquade@whotels.com. Thank you again for your feedback, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Drew McQuade

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I had a great stay at the W Hotel in Austin. The hotel was clean and conveniently located. If you need assistance with local attractions see Nicole. The pool gets crowded, so be prepared. The hotel was was very active and a lot of fun. The hotel is located in a great area of Austin. We will be back

• Stayed July 2013
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Richard was so very thoughtful, friendly and conscientious. We came in daily to see our family staying at the W and he remembered us each time, offering water, asking how my young children had enjoyed going swimming, etc. A great staff member!

Green Features: Offers to recycle all over the property, including the pool where many were using glass and plastic and cans.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lindsey T
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Hello Lindsey,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your experience visiting the W Austin. I am thrilled to hear that Richard made such a positive impression.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

california
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was lucky to stay at this hotel just a couple of weeks after grand openning. I think Janet Jackson was playing next door at the Austin Limits. Everything about this hotel is just awesome including the rooms..very trendy. The location is perfect. Plenty of great restaurants to walk to (safe area).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Very convenient and up to W standards in every way. Be warned, there is no self parking and valet is $31 a night! The pool was literally packed with people drinking and visiting. I didn't see anyone getting out to use the bathroom so that is kinda yucky. But for all the partying going on there during the day the hotel was surprisingly quite during the night.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at the W Austin over the July 4th weekend with my wife and two dogs.

Having stayed at numerous W Hotels all over the world it seemed logical to pick the W Austin particularly given the favorable pet policy – it also had some good write ups online.

We made a smart decision – unequivocally, this is the best W I have stayed in and despite the fact that nothing about our stay was cheap I can’t fault the experience – with two exceptions.

The rooms, pool area, gym, reception etc are all very typical of the Ws. Very smart, modern, functional and very homely (there is something about Ws that you makes you feel instantly at ease the moment you walk in) – the primary difference with this particular hotel however was the staff; from the valet to the check-in staff, concierges and bell boys this place has got it right. I can’t fault anything about any interaction (phone, email + face-to-face) with any of the staff throughout the whole stay.

If there is a niggle it would be the cost of room service and the fact you have to pay for in-room wi-fi.

Room Service: 2 normal breakfast Omelets, 1 extra sausage, 1 orange juice, 1 tea = $74 (inc 15% tip) – come on! $74! ! That’s crazy in any currency.

In room wi-fi: I stayed for 3 nights, my total bill was c$1950. Why, having spent all that money should I then have to pay for in-room wi-fi. I can’t think of many hotel groups that make you pay for in-room wi-fi anymore, it is a very dated way of generating increased revenues and I think give the fact that the Ws target a typically younger, professional demographic the least it should do is allow said demographic the ability to freely use the internet! I appreciate this sounds ridiculous but I would rather they increased the room rates by the cost of in room wi-fi ($15 per day I think). It isn’t the money I have an issue with, it is the principal of paying c$400 per night for a room to then pay $15 for wi-fi.

To summarise, if you are looking for a very relaxing, smart and 100% stress free hotel experience in Austin (particularly if you have pets with you) you should absolutely stay at the W – just don’t order room service and know in advance that you will have to pay for in room wi-fi. If you can handle those two things this is an amazing place to stay.

1 Thank Petrina v
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Hello Petrina,

Thank you for being our guest at W Austin. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that you had positive interactions with our talent throughout the property. I apologize for the frustration that you experienced with the cost of Wi-Fi and In Room Dining. For any future stays, please keep in mind that we do offer many packages that include Wi-Fi and daily breakfast for two in the rate. My team and I value your feedback immensely, and I appreciate the time that you took to share your experience. We hope to welcome you and your two dogs back soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The W Austin excels at both the big things and the little things. The public spaces, including the pool and exercise room, are a pleasure : lovely and minimalist but nonetheless luxurious in feel. Service was friendly, the room fresh, and the beds divine. The "over the hills and far away" spa treatment was exceptional. Our room was very quiet, indicating to me that even the bones of the building were well designed and built. My only nit to pick is the excessively cool air conditioning, which, in fairness, seems to be a bit of a plague throughout the city. Given the W's overt commitment to being green, however, the energy waste from excessive air conditioning seems hypocritical. Altogether, I strongly recommend the W and I'd like to return someday.

Room Tip: Look for room specials and remember, if applicable, to use your AAA number for good rates. Book as...
Green Features: There are many good practices, but the excessive air conditioning in public areas is a little disappointing.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your review of the W Austin. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and that you were able to take advantage of our outlets, including the Away Spa treatment. I apologize for the air conditioning issues, and I appreciate you sharing this feedback with us. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.