“Not Impressed”

GreenLeadersGold level
McKinney, Texas
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the W for a business reward trip. First, the good. The rooms have a charging station with a cord for every type of device, which was great. Also, the gym is the best I've been to at a hotel. It has everything one needs for a complete workout.

Unfortunately, though, we encountered multiple issues with reservations, the staff and the room itself. We had decided to stay an extra night after the conference to spend another day exploring Austin. When we reserved the room we were guaranteed a group rate. At checkout they tried to charge us $300 more than the guaranteed rate. Derrick, the manager, was extremely condescending and would not even listen when we tried to talk to him about the situation. The hotel had already messed up our initial reservation (it wasn't just us, it was multiple people they did this too with the company) and offered us two free drinks (the hotel that is....not Derrick) for all the troubles, which was nice. When we went to check in, they tried to make us change rooms to two queens rather than the king we reserved because they were starting to run low. Rather than asking us if it would be okay, they told us that we would be changing and it wasn't until we insisted on our original reservation room type that they agreed. The rooms themselves were not well maintained. We had a problem with gnats in our bed! And the beds were not made up well and the sheets kept coming undone with the mattress being exposed each night. Plus, the lighting was very dark which made getting ready in the bathroom an annoyance. Some friends of ours had to change rooms because of a strong vomit odor in their room too.

I even listened to a woman at the spa desk completely ignore a customer and talk rudely to her once she gave her the time of day. Sine when did staying at a modern and upscale hotel mean the staff should be cold, condescending and too good for the guests? We have stayed multiple times at Lost Pines and also at Barton Creek. I would highly recommend both of those hotels, but we will never return to a W again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mamaofthreechickies
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review of the W Austin. My apologies for the reservation frustration you experienced and the negative encounters you had with our team. We strive for superior customer service experiences for all guests, so would very much welcome the opportunity to learn more about your visit so that I may address the issues with my team. Should you be open to discussing your stay further, I would welcome the feedback. I can be reached at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633.
Drew McQuade

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
chicago
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Great health club! Great Location! Rooms are okay.... No drawers, just three little baskets and a bit cramped. Why would the minibar food take up so much space on top of the table when it is clearly needed for people to use. I was also surprised that there was a charge for the Internet -- With what the price of the room is.

WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hello, and thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the W Austin. I appreciate the feedback regarding the in-room drawers. Additionally, I did want to let you know that we offer complimentary internet services in our public Living Room space that we invite you to enjoy on your next visit. Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Los Angeles
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The W Austin will not disappoint if you are after a hip hotel with all the bells and whistles that go along with the W brand including spa, pool, drinks with a hefty price tag and a see and be seen scene. I was there for a girl's weekend and this hotel worked a treat.

Tidy rooms with lovely decor, though not enough space to unpack if you have a lot of shoes or make up. Better hope you like your travelling companion as privacy is an issue with the open bathroom. Add to that too many mini-bar items cluttering up the counter, making the tidy room feel almost a bit too small for the price. Other downers were the shocking upcharges for having food delivered poolside. Keep an eye on that if you decide to dine when they aren't serving the pool menu. Also, it's 2013 - charging for in-room internet? Really W? One might say that a true luxury hotel would include this in the price.

That being said, it's quiet at night for a city with such a party atmosphere and I cannot fault the service. Everything and everyone was attentive and quick. I loved the gym, especially the fully stocked yoga room. The Acura partnership is clever. I would stay there again without question, as its location was perfect - 20 minutes to SoCo, 10 to Rainey Street. Great for a couple of nights in a fantastic city.

Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I live in Austin, but we decided to spend our 10 year wedding anniversary at the W downtown. When we arrived, it turned out that my husband (who said he was taking care of everything) in fact hadn't made a reservation! Sheena Gendron, in the Welcome Office quickly went to work to find us a room on an (almost) sold out Saturday night! She got us checked in, in a flash and we went up to our room. It was beautiful- a high floor, overlooking the beautiful Austin skyline! After getting settled, we went for dinner and came back to a lovely hand-written note from Ms. Gendron, thanking us for spending our anniversary at the W. It also included complementary drink tickets to SIPS and 2 complementary in-room breakfast-in beds! My company books the W a lot and we have had our holiday parties there for the last couple of years, but I’ve never stayed as a leisure guest. I must say, I will definitely be back! The atmosphere was great, the staff was very welcoming and accommodating, the food was fantastic! The W has thought of everything you need to make your stay away from home special. One of my favorite “little things” in the room was the cell phone charging station next to the beds, they have a charger for every phone you could ever imagine! My husband and I have decided that we will definitely go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Hello Sacha, thank you for your review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your anniversary stay and that Sheena was able to make your stay even more memorable. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to the W Austin again soon.

Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed for a girls weekend and would definitely return again. Everyone was so nice and very helpful during our stay. Rooms were clean and the decor was modern and sleek. Great place to recharge or enjoy all that Austin has to offer. Wonderful location, we walked everywhere! The Acura service was a nice treat anytime we went somewhere that was too far to walk. Gym was great and loved the fresh water and green apples available all over the hotel!

Room Tip: Stayed in a spectacular room. It was decent in size for three close friends and very clean.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you had a nice stay during your girls trip and were able to take advantage of the many amenities we offer, such as the Acura drop-off service. My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back again soon!

Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel oozes a cool factor in excess of all others but get ready to pay. With the hipster background music, red and silver walls, white leather couches and exposed concrete pillars, it has the feel of an "Oceans 11" set. The rooms, although very small, are clean, comfortable and contemporary. Love the heavenly beds!! The bar is really neat with sleek furnishings and an entire floor to ceiling wall of old record cases. Hands down, the gym is the biggest and best of any hotel I have ever seen. Too bad the spa did not have a dry sauna, and the steam one wasn't working. The Concierge was really helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Request a room with a river view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NewportPam
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and found our SWEAT (gym) facilities to be the best in the City! Our apologies that the steam shower was not working, but invite you back to visit again soon.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I came here for a girls' weekend in early April and had a fabulous experience. The staff was extremely professional, friendly, and accommodating. The hotel is new and gorgeous, and we loved the hip room decor. W has heard everyone loud and clear on the bathroom privacy issue; there was a card by our sink that said something like, "Close but not that close? Dial 0 to have a W.C. privacy curtain installed." Granted, you can't get to the restroom when someone's in the shower, but that curtain solved our issue.

The hotel is in a perfect location... We walked to the Capitol, the Driskill, Bess Bistro, and even back to the hotel the day we went shopping on South Congress. Love the $5 happy hour in the lounge as well. The rooms are pricey, yes, but I'd stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay, and am glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of the many amenities we offer, like our daily S.I.P. (Social Interactive Playtime). Thank you again for the review, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!