“Clean Hotel, Helpful Staff, Great Location, Small Pool”
Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #18 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The title says it all really.

The room: Modern - I was staying with a bunch of friends, so the clear shower door in full view from the entranceway was a little ... uncomfortable

Staff: Helpful and friendly with a seemingly endless supply of bandaids for us girls in heels. I like their check-in/check-out process; it was easy and casual.

Location: Well, if you don't want to rent a car in Austin, this is where you should stay. Walking distance or a short cab ride to anything downtown you want to visit. We walked mostly everywhere and did much of our nights out in the Warehouse District - go to Six Lounge for a cheap table service.

Pool: We spent our daytimes here; it's interesting how such a large hotel has SUCH a small pool! Also, the drinks were extravagantly pricey (the bartenders were very cool though). And the security at the door doesn't let you bring in your own alcohol. Early in the morning, hotel guests come out and reserve layout chairs for themselves. If you get out there late, you're not getting a seat. Pool was pretty but cramped. Our bachelorette party was surrounded by at least 3 bachelor parties.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for W Austin

Reviewed April 16, 2013

When in Austin I typically stay at The W so I have grown accustomed to their excellent service. This last trip was no different except for an amazing concierge - Nicole Fairres. My trip was quite scattered with me having to arrive at certain venues at certain very specific times. The events were such that I could not be late for them. With that knowledge, Nicole promptly established a schedule and arranged for and facilitated all mu necessary transportation! The venues were as diverse as a book signing, a 6 AM race north of The W as well as several other appointments. I cannot say enough about her and her A+ service. Thanks Nicole!

Room Tip: Ask for a Southern facing room for an amazing view of Town Lake!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Charles R
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am thrilled to hear that Nicole was able to make your stay more memorable and help with travel arrangements. We appreciate the positive feedback, and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm Regards,
Drew McQuade

Reviewed April 10, 2013

great location, excellent hotel and rooms, even better pool...I went for a bachelor party and had an incredible time. When we departed, we left items in our rooms and they were prompt to not only return them to us free of shipping but alert us that someone's medication was left behind because they knew it was important. Cannot wait til next I stay

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Not having traveled much to Austin, I wasn't sure which hotel to stay in for a downtown conference I was attending. I went back and forth between a few options, and settled on the W based on reviews. I am VERY picky about hotels. The W was a great experience for a few reasons. The rooms, while not large, are modern, attractive, and extremely comfortable. The shower is great, but the lighting in the bathroom and the sink counter size could be larger (for those of us putting on makeup and doing our hair). They had a charging station next to the bed with IPhone connectors, etc., which was a very helpful touch. But what was most exceptional about my time at the W was the customer service. The entire staff was friendly and helpful. When I had a question about whether internet was included in my room because I thought I was getting it on my phone, I was told no, but then the operator called me back to say it would be comped for my stay (that never happens!). The housekeeper was thoughtful enough to leave a toothbrush and toothpaste even though I hadn't requested it (they noticed an almost empty tube on the sink). They had cars available at the front to take you, for free, wherever you needed to go within a five-mile radius. And at the end of my stay, a hotel manager, Christopher, helped me with my bags when I was leaving. All in all I was impressed by a dedication to customer service that you unfortunately don't often see anywhere these days. But the W, at least the one in Austin, has clearly learned what it means to put the customer first.

Room Tip: I was given a "water view" or something like that, which basically looked onto some roofto...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2013

CAVEAT: If you don't like a 'club' atmosphere, this ain't your property. Unlike many hotels, the bar here is a major attraction and gets PACKED. Totally worth it, too. LOVE the library, the DJ spinning, the fireplace, the people, heck you could have a weekend without even leaving the hotel (but you wouldn't want to).

Location is walking distance from most of Austin's fabled night-life spots, and what's not walkable is a short pedi-cab ride away. The hotel DOES get noisy with late-night revelry; as someone who got shut down, security DOES take complaints seriously and will tell guests/you to quiet down in room celebrations after about 2 AM on the weekends. We complied, not sure what happens on second or third offenses.

Other than that? Standard rooms are a bit on the small side but perfectly comfortable. This hotel is batting .100 for me as a Platinum with upgrades, however. I've always been put in a corner suite and those rooms rock. My time in the standard rooms has only been as a visitor.

Check-in lines can be long, there's no predicting when the rushes will be, and the lobby is small and gets crowded. Best to have one of your group head into the bar, get you a drink, and come wait with you in line. Or just drag your luggage into the bar, everyone get drinks, and draw straws to see which poor SOB has to wait in line.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators. This hotel has more traffic than average coming and going an...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a great hotel in a great city. Cool setting, friendly, friendly service team and great location. Having stayed at many W Hotels I am always disappointed by the room size. Well not here in Austin. Huge room, comfy bed and wonderful bathroom too. The lobby and common spaces were fantastic as is expected from the W. The roof top pool was scene on Saturday afternoon and if your 25-35 it's the spot to be in and be seen -- bikini and all. The spa was delightful, amazing steam shower and the concierge was truly delightful. Helpful and friendly and truly interested in our trip. Best of the all the Acura car service is the best deal in town -- FREE! Allin all, can't wait to g et back to Austin and the W

Room Tip: get a room on a high floor facing the river!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RedShoesM
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our WET Deck and AWAY Spa were able to make your stay even more memorable. Thank you again for joining us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Warm Regards,
Drew McQuade

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here during trip to Austin for events around campus with our son. The hotel is very modern, with primarily red, gray, black decor. Check in took about 2 minutes. There really isn't a lobby, or much of anywhere besides the bar or the pool, to just sit or to wait for someone. The elevators provide security b/c you cannot access a guest floor without a room key. Our King room was small; if my husband was working at the desk, I could not walk between him and the bed. Bed was extremely comfortable though, with lots of soft pillows. The bellman had to show us where the closet was--it was built into a corner. We had to keep our suitcases by the door--there was NO other space. Bathroom was quite large, with a separate shower (no tub), an enclosed toilet room, and lighted makeup mirror. The hairdryer was tiny--with no "cool" button so bring your own b/c the Austin humidity requires a good hair dryer. Robes in the room, but no coffee pot and the coffee downstairs was not good. You will want to go out for coffee. There was a charging station by the bed--that was handy for cell phones, so you don't have to bring your own chargers. Valet was a problem every time we called for our car. They never got the message--this happened 4 times and so I'd make sure you are getting that part right if you need your car in a hurry. The gym is great--equipment could not have been better. The area is large, lots of windows, a large class room for stretching, etc. Excellent cardio equipment with individual TVs, and every kind of exercise equipment to give you a workout that rivals your home gym, I'm certain. It's open 24/7. The pool area was mobbed--nearly impossible to find a chair or any other real estate to sit on during a sunny afternoon. We went to the bar on Friday night about 11 pm--I think they called it a "meat market" in my day. The hotel clearly caters to a young crowd--I think the average age of guests was about 28. It's a fun place to stay--glad we tried it. I would probably choose a more traditional hotel for my next Austin trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family