“Slickly modern but so very comfy!”
Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #18 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Texas
“Slickly modern but so very comfy!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Myself and two other educators stayed here in February for a tech conference. The room was plenty big enough for one of us to blow up an air mattress to sleep on. She put this in the very large entry way to the room. She missed out though because the beds are the most comfortable I have slept on in many years in a hotel. Woke up every day feeling refreshed and my body had no aches. The hotel is very quiet. I never heard any road or interior noise.

The bathroom was open which was a surprise for us, but the staff quickly fixed that by hanging up a rod and curtain. The shower was very nice, no tub, but didn't miss that at all. The W has the best line of toiletries. They smell wonderful and are top notch stuff. The towels are fluffy and a generous size, which is hard to find these days.

The rooms and the hotel itself are very beautiful. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We took advantage of the free Acura car service when I needed to quickly return to the conference center. Driver was very friendly and patient as I ran in to get something.

It is right in the middle of shops, restaurants etc. A few blocks from the conference center and 6th street. Would love to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here, and were able to enjoy many of our amenities like the Acura car service we provide. Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Drew McQuade

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013

If I could give this place ten starts, admittedly on the strength of only a one night stay, I would! The best of W style and Texas/Southern hospitality.

After a few days in San Antonio and some dubious behavior on the part of another Starwood property, it was amazing to come here and get the royal treatment from all the folks at the W Austin. Best hotel stay I've had in over six months, and that's a lot of nights.

I arrived to a bit of a zoo, as the place was clearing out at the back end of SxSW, lots of people still milling about and the entryway and valet visibly overwhelmed. No problem, thinks I, totally understand the deal. Apology received and car handed off I head into the hotel to check in, and the room is not quite ready yet - in the thirty minutes it took 'em to get keys in my hand I had two drink coupons for the bar and a free breakfast for the car and check in wait. An apology would have been perfectly good, but not for these guys.

Having settled into the room, I was met in the lobby by my friends, who came in with kids in tow to have a drink with me and visit, at least until the kids got restless and mom would take them home. You'd think this would go down like the proverbial Led Zep in a W, yet the waitress was just wonderful with the kids and with us, nothing too much trouble, just perfect attitude and service. I was frankly amazed, I was expecting her to freak at us, instead I got probably the nicest service I have had ever when out with kids. By now I'm thinking this place is pretty special. After mom and kids took off, and I went out with my friend for a trip around town, we came back for last drinks and again the bartender was great, tired from the exertions of Austin's busiest two weeks, but also friendly, chatty, helpful.

After an excellent breakfast of Migas (what else?), I'm checking out, feeling pretty thrilled with the experience of the place, but wouldn't you know it? they go the extra mile. I'm about to leave the building, realize I forgot the bottle of water I'd left in the fridge to chill and take with me in the car on my drive out, the GM type hanging by the door notices my minimal distress and asks what I forgot. Just a bottle of water, says I. He runs by the front desk, grabs a bottle and hands it to me. Not the cheap freebie I had in the room, but the Fuji bottle :D

Keep in mind all these people are coming off the busiest two weeks of the year. Like I said, ten stars.

Room Tip: Can't imagine a bad room in this place.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our team was able to make your stay even more memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We've stayed at the W in Austin a couple times recently and the location is fantastic, especially if you're going to a show at the ACL Live venue next door. We only live 45 minutes away, but hate to ruin a great night (like seeing Bob at ACL LIve) by having to drive home. Instead finish it off at the W.

Plenty off fun restaurants in walking distance, and on-site Trace is worth a try for small plates and nice wines by the glass. Entire street level is a great "nightclub" beginning late-ish with a very, very stylish younger (20-30) crowd. Most seem to not be guests of the hotel so the party does not seem to expand into the other floors, elevators, etc.

Room Tip: Some rooms face Town Lake (aka Ladybird Lake) which is nice but not really a big deal.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your visit and time at Trace and ACL-LIVE. Since you don't live far, we hope to see you back again soon!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I recently stayed at the W Austin back to back weekends, and both weekends I was extremely impressed with the service. My room each time was great and the whole W experience was incredible. The living room style bar was great each night and I found my local colleagues wanting to meet there versus an outside bar (try the cucumber jalapeno drink). The first night I was there my girlfriend and I were headed out and I ordered her a glass of wine while she was getting ready. After about 20 minutes I called to check the status as we were close to leaving and the staff apologized and offered to send a bottle instead of a glass and did so. Unnecessary as 20 minutes by no means was too long but such a nice gesture. The second time I was there I left my Amex at Trace (the restaurant) and didn't notice until I was home. I called and spoke with Andrea and offered her my FedEx account number to send the card back and sure enough the next day I had my card and as an additional token she included a nice W Austin Keychain. Again not necessary as it was my fault not theirs but I found that at every step the staff was eager to ensure my stay was memorable in the best way possible.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manhattan Beach, California, United States
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have stayed at W hotels elsewhere, as well as having stayed at other high-end hotels in Austin, and I had a great experience at The W for the six days that I stayed here.
- Noe was helpful upon arrival, and several times when called and spoke to the "Whatever/ Whenever" team they were really responsive and flexible.
- I also had a great massage one afternoon with Vinh at the Away Spa, and I highly recommend that. He artfully mixed stretching, tissue work, and classical massage.
- The gym is amazing, and I wanted to do Pilates classes, and they have a pilates trainer on site sometimes, as well as a great pilates studio near by

A few things that are good to know:
- When it gets busy at the door with an event going on at the hotel, you just need show them your room key and you can zip on by
- Most the rooms "all rooms except for the suites" do not have bath tubs, which can be hard if you want to take a soke, or you have small kids who are too young to shower themselves. Also they don't have a hot tub at the pool or the spa, which makes the missing bath tubs more evident
- The parking is outrageously expensive, and there really are no other covered options around, so plan accordingly, most of the time if you are doing your business in downtown Austin, if would be more cost effective to just take taxis (or the Acrua with the Acura partnership) and walk around downtown, and avoid the parking cost at the W
- The clocks in the rooms are hard to reset, so be prepaired if you are there during daylight savings time change like I was

Room Tip: Anything above the 8th floor has a pretty good view, and facing the river is a nice plus.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Elizabeth B
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I just stayed for 1 week at the W Austin and loved it! Everything about the property was great -- the gym is fully stocked w/ free weights (important to me); staff was very attentive and friendly and the bar was fun! I really recommend it.

1 Thank Phil D
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have stayed in multiple hotels in Austin and find the W Hotel the absolute best location and staff.
The concierge & front desk staff and the restaurant staff in particular are excellent. The staff in general are friendly and professional. The lounges & bars in the hotel are great as well.
The rooms are comfortable and stylish. The W is located truly in the heart of Austin and you can walk to almost any place of importance.
I highly recommend!

Room Tip: Book in advance, very popular hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am thrilled to hear that my team made your stay even more memorable, and thank you for the praise. We look forward to welcoming you to Austin again soon!