“Best Hotel in Austin”

Ranked #18 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Kyle, Texas
“Best Hotel in Austin”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is the best hotel in Austin. There are a couple other hotels which come close, but this one is classy and very hip which sets it apart.

I was lucky enough to stay in a corner suite. My bathtub had a view of the skyline and my living room and bedroom had a lake view. The bathtub is open to the living room, so this suite is only good for couples. It was an amazing suite, I highly recommend it.

The staff is incredible. It was a special occasion (first night without the new baby) and they gave my husband and I champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and a onesie for the little one. It was so unexpected and kind of them.

The "Living Room" bar is the hippest bar in Austin. Austin is very laid back but everyone dresses to the nines at this bar. The cocktails are not cheap, but you are paying for quality and for the atmosphere.

The location is A+. 2nd street has a lot of great restaurants and is a safe area of downtown. Check out the nearby Violet Crown Cinema for a unique movie experience. Taverna across the street has great Italian food and is famous for their Sunday brunch. ($1 mimosas and bellinis!)

This is a great hotel for out of town guests (especially those looking to impress) or for locals to enjoying a "staycation".

PS - this review was way overdue, but better late than never!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bobcatsports

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the W for a business trip for two nights. Overall the location was fantastic and located in the heart of downtown. There were a ton of great dining and nightlife options. The service was nice. The hotel is modern, on the verge of being cheesy. The rooms are small but did the job.

The service was good overall. You got what you expect for the price, but not a penny more.

SPG perks are nice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Inder22
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The best W staff in the US. My husband and I had a fantastic time here and will definitely be back.

Dinner at their Trace restaurant was good and their staff was so personable and accommodating.

Their bar staff was perfect and fun especially Joyce.

The rooms were clean and updated. We look forward to visiting again. Do yourself a favor and stay here!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This hotel is definitely the best to stay at in Austin. The style and decor of the hotel and the rooms there are very modern and hip but at the same time comfortable and not "stiff" feeling. The food was excellent. I am a definite food snob and the food was just amazing. I highly recommend this hotel if you want to stay at a nice hotel in the city of Austin.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brittany K
Dallas
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This Hotel has exceeded my expectations and will be a clear choice for any future stays in Austin. I was in town for a convention and the location of the W is a short walk to the convention center. The amenities were all first class from the gym, men's locker room, the guest rooms, and the downstairs lounge/bar. There was a fantastic band playing on the Monday night of my stay which was a pleasant surprise. I was always greeted with a warm friendly greeting from the time I walked in the door and a couple more times on the way to the elevator EVERY time I entered the building. Also, the valet service "wheels" was always prompt and friendly. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, upon arriving back in Dallas I realized I left my credit card at the downstairs bar/lounge. When I called they kindly asked me to send a copy of my DL and a letter requesting my property back. I received an immediate response indicating my card was in the FedEx on its way back to me. This is the type of "above and beyond" service that will have me staying at the W everytime in Austin and wherever else they are available!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 3, 2013

As someone who spends >100 nights/year in a hotel and has stayed in 6 different W hotels in the last year, I have a good benchmark for what to expect, both positive and negative. Further, as someone who has stayed at this hotel for three week so far, I believe I have a good point of reference. Based on my experience, this hotel is an extreme outlier, and not a good one. The staff from top to bottom are arrogant, snide, and believe they are above their customers. But rather than a poor review, here are a few actual situation (which amazingly are not exhaustive):

1. Valet
I've used 10 times. At 8am on a weekday, it has taken them more than 30 minutes to retrieve my car twice, at no time has it taken less than 15 minutes, and once there was trash left in the car (a bottle).

2. Management
The bill has cutsey language that is unfortunately vague. For example, valet is called "wheels". After having trouble claiming that as a charge, I called to have the bill adjusted to say "valet parking" instead of "wheels". The first time I was laughed at at the phone was hung up after I was called "crazy". The second time I was yelled at then was given the dial tone. Emails to general manager resulted in what appeared to be derogatory response from two separate people, including a manager, before the bill was adjusted.

3. The Bar
I ordered a Tom Collins and was brought a drink with tequila and salt. I told the waitress that she brought the wrong drink, and she insisted I didn't know what went into a Tom Collins.

Other aspects of the hotel:

- Location: very good location a block from the river. Easy access to downtown, the capital, and SoCo.
- Rooms: good size, very nice, traditional W furniture and style
- Room service: limited options, but there are plenty of options nearby to eat outside
- Restaurant: good ambiance but the food was very disappointing (2 meals, one was chef's choice)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank BooTheGroundhog
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I appreciate your candid feedback and regret that you did not enjoy your stay and that we did not measure up to the caliber of some of our sister properties. While I know you’ve spoken with my team regarding specific issues you encountered during your stay, I would very much welcome the opportunity to talk to you so that I too can ensure your concerns are addressed. Should you be open to discussing your stay further, I can be reached at 512-542-3633 or drew.mcquade@whotels.com.

Thank you again for your feedback, I look forward to connecting with you.

Warm Regards,
Drew McQuade
Denton, Texas
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed this past weekend at the W in Austin and had such a wonderful experience we did not want to leave our room. The staff was great but there was a young lady who was such a great help in letting us know what to do around town. Andrea in Risk knows her town...we ran into her in the lobby and asked her to point us in the direction of a couple of good places and she did just that!!! Thank you Andrea...the rest of the staff was also very attentive and very professional and made us feel very welcomed...they all went out of their way so that we could have a pleasant stay...We will defenitely be going back!!!

Room Tip: Corner suites are the best...great views!!!