“Great location - cool hotel”
Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #20 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

This W is pretty consistent with other Ws - cool scene, decent/nice rooms, trendy. I thought the location was excellent for downtown nightlife and university activities. Being across the street from town lake/a 5+ mile running trail is a big plus as well. Staff was engaging and helpful - rooms/halls are starting to look a little run down but I wouldn't ding the hotel for that yet. Overall I'd stay here again over any of the other options in the area.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I've stayed at W properties from coast to coast. This one is one of their newest properties and is definitely built to impress. The W Austin has a great vibe. It's hard not to notice the moment you pull up. The staff is friendly, courteous and professional. You'll find the hotel centrally located and in just a few minutes you can take a cab just about anywhere you'd want to go. Many of the upper level rooms offer great scenic views. There's also a spa and the pool area is very swanky. Until recently the rooms rates were generally more than $400.00 per night. Due to the fact that they've dropped quite a bit I decided to give the W Austin a try. Based on my experience I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank tomleath
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you for your review of the W Austin. I am so pleased to hear that you decided to stay with us, and that you had an enjoyable stay. Additionally, I see that you're a Texas resident, so for any future visits, we do have a Texas resident rate package that includes rates up to 20% off. It's our way to welcome fellow Texans to explore Austin! We look forward to seeing you back soon, and thank you again for the review.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Its a nice place, but not worth the money. The pool is small and there is no hot tub. What? Pool side service cost $4 + 22% tip + $18 for a drink. I'm from New York and I was even a little shocked. The rooms are starting to look a bit worn, clearly from the heavy partying they have endured over there 2 years of existence. I just dont get it. The staff are thoughtful and accomodating. So that was a plus.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TexasTalk

Thank you for your review of the W Austin. We value your feedback and have shared your WET Deck comments with our beverage and food teams. We work with our teams in continually refreshing our rooms so that they are presented in pristine shape, so if you are open to chatting more, I would very much like to learn more about what room you stayed in, so that we may review its condition. I can be reached at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633. I am glad to hear that our team was helpful, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Austin soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just back from two nights at the W Austin. Hip, fun, cozy, friendly, and chic hotel.
Checked in right after the 3:00 check in time, asked to be upgraded, and we were already upgraded! What a great beginning! We were in a Corner Suite on 15th floor - fabulous!!!

Things We Loved about W Austin-
-Friendliest Staff at a hotel I have ever encountered - top notch staff.
-Fantastic location - you can walk to all the shops, markets, bars and restaurants in downtown Austin.
-Hip and cozy vibe to the hotel. Modern and chic.
-Great room service - fast and delicious.
-Best bar in a hotel ever. Best cheese tray in a bar ever. Can't wait to go back!
-Excellent hot water - fast!
-Great towels.
-Great tv channels - I never see Bravo and Lifetime at hotels, and being those are my favorite channels, I was thrilled.
-Beautiful views.
-Well appointed/decorated suite.
-Valets are fantastic. Friendly and very efficient.
-Fast elevators.
-Awesome bath products.
-Two robes in the closet.
-Fruit infused water in the lobby.
-One of the best work out facilities anywhere - great equipment and spectacular views.

Minor details I didn't like:
-IPod player in bedroom was broken.
-Dirty, stained throw blanket. Super comfy blanket, just soiled.
-Our bed was too soft. I ended up sleeping on the couch after waking up with a sore back and neck. Usually that doesn't bother me, so this bed must have been extra soft.
-No outdoor green space.

The weather was rainy so we were unable to use the pool, which looked fabulous.

Overall, this is a GREAT hotel - the staff and its vibe make it my number one choice in Austin. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Skip housekeeping and receive 500 extra Starwood points.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the W Austin. I enjoyed reading your review and hearing about your trip's highlights and pictures. I am glad that you enjoyed our Living Room area and have passed along your 'best cheese tray' accolades to our Executive Chef. Additionally, thank you for bringing the broken iPod dock and blanket situation to our attention, as that is something I am addressing with my team. We look forward to having you back in Austin soon.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The W in Austin is hip and fun, with a great location near everything. Next door to Austin City Limits and the Municipal Center, it's easy to get anywhere you want to go. The rooms mostly have Lady Bird Lake or city views, both of which have their charm.

The rooms are a cut above most standard hotels, with luxurious towels and bed linens, modern amenities like Sonoro clock radio/docking stations, and sleek furnishings. Each room is different, and some spaces are laid out in such a way that the space isn't utilized fully, when there could be more closet space and less wasted space. And rooms with two beds at times feel cramped. But they are still quite nice.

The staff is very customer-service oriented, and appears almost magically when you have a need. They are some of the best I've encountered. Almost felt like a Four Seasons.

The Living Room Lounge is ultra-chic, and a great place to get a cocktail most nights. But be forewarned: the Lounge and the Records Room attract the "pretty people" on weekend nights, so if the hip-hop crowd is not your scene (complete with maximum bling and minimum skin coverage), venture out into the city. And if it IS your scene - you'll be in heaven.

I would also add that if you're here for a conference, you'll be pleasantly surprised. It has some of the best conference center/group dining I've experienced in a long time. Good food, well-prepared and presented. That's hard to do with hundreds of people.

Room Tip: Get a king bed room if you can; the layout is generally better.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review of the W Austin. Hearing feedback from conference attendees is so valuable, and I appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I am glad to hear that you experienced super customer service, and that our culinary team was able to delight you. Thank you again for your review, we look forward to seeing you in Austin soon!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have gone to the W a couple of times for shows in the record room. The atmosphere is cozy and hip, the bartenders especially friendly and quick to wait on you. Moe, my bartender was fast and remembered my drink throughout the evening. I returned to the W over a month later and Moe remembered my drink! Again, he was friendly and efficient. Top notch place for a fun night out!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have been travelling to Austin for 15 years. It is the first time i see a more modern and chic hotel there. Rooms are very well decorated. You have all details. All Bliss products which are awesome. The only negative comment is that the service in general takes time. 25 minutes to get the car and 50 minutes for in dining breakfast. If that changes it will be a great, new business must stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business