“Master Mixologist Found at the W-Austin!”
Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #18 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is my second stay at the W-Austin in the last month. The accomodations are fine, and the staff is courteous and helpful, but the one thing that the W has that no other hotel, bar, or restaurant in Austin has, is master mixologist Joyce Garrision. I'm an avid foodie, and have traveled all over the world sampling great food and drink (yes, Austin rates very high), so I can say with a fair amount of confidence and experience that the W has a gem in Joyce. Any 22-something underweight hack with a goutee and tats can perform simple tasks like adding two-parts this with 1 part that, and mash in some green stuff with that muddler thingy... "here ya go, you wanna put that on your room?" In stark contrast, JG is not only invested in the craft of mixology, she's channeling some sort of mixology-host energy that transforms a drink at the bar into a really fun time - plus you get a great drink! Think of a polite and well-behaived Charlie Sheen with drink-making skills (take your time). OK maybe not, but you get the point. In my first stay, I happened to belly up to the bar when Joyce was "inventing" a new drink for some local contest here in Austin [I later found out that she won the event]. The theme was "Africa", so she was researching and experimenting with flavor profiles for various Afrian fruits, teas, etc. I think I tasted about 5-6 of her "...eh, this is missing something..." or "...no, this flavor is drowning out that one ..." trial drinks before I had to retire. But what a blast, and I got a free schooling in everything Rum - believe me, she knows her stuff. Michelin stars are the most sought after award for excellence in the culinary world, and oddly enough the rating system (from 0 to 3 start) is simple and effective: 1 star basically means "good for the category", 2 stars is excellent, and "worth a detour", 3 stars is exceptional, and "worth a special journey". Not sure how that translates into mixology ratings, but I can say that given the choice, I will choose to stay at the W-Austin every time. Not just because the W is a pretty cool place to stay, but because I might get a chance to have a drink and a laugh with a world-class mixologist.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kevin S
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thank you for your review of the W Austin. I'm thrilled to hear that you got to spend some time with our libationist, Joyce. As you mentioned, the cocktail, named the R&R, did indeed win the competition later that night and has been a welcome addition on our summer cocktail menu. I appreciate your feedback and we look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Warm Regards,
Drew McQuade

There are newer reviews for W Austin

Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

We walked in the front door to be greeted by 1 of many inebriated guests wanting a hug. That's the scene though. Young, drinking, going out, loud music- that's why you come here. The crowd is late 20's, most people look out of college kinda thing. Not a place for romance or a quaint couples getaway but that's the vibe. Cool but very small rooms, great location. Overall the hotel is not as nice as we like but if you want a scene - this is probably it.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 28, 2012

People get on me about the W, since it can be viewed as hipster and fru fru, especially compared with Starwoods other Luxury Brands. I can't disagree more. The sleek W, comfortable living areas and great workspaces makes this W a productivity heaven. If the goal is to get someone motivated about staying on the road and working, consider upping your policies to include the W. Happiness makes us all better. This one is loaded with plenty of W "talent" to make your stay that much better and with some Texas charm to boot. I'd stay again and again.

Room Tip: Love the south views of Town Lake
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We arrived very late due to a flight cancellation and the front desk greeted us with smiles and an upgraded room. Everything about this hotel is sheer perfection. Whatever whenever policy sure pleased us. The ambiance is warm, inviting, cool, serene, magical. I was travelling with my 20 year old son and younger daughter. Eventhough the crowd tends to be young. I did not feel out of place. I found the hotel a refreshing change to the typical hotel experience. The location is great, right near 6th street. We walked to Whole foods. If you don't want to walk they have a house car to drive you within a certain radius. We will return to this hidden gem.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room, higher floor. Views are great.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights with my wife while I was on business. Check-in was quick. Was upgraded as I'm SPG Gold, so ended up with a nice size room with a view of the river.

This is clearly the most cutting edge/hip hotel in Austin. You can walk in some of the interior spaces (hallway to spa, gym) and feel like you are in West Hollywood. Lots of folks at the bar/restaurant having a good time. On top of this, you have some great restaurants right out the front door.

The gym is fantastic. I did not see a benchpress or squat rack, but barring the need for those exercises, everything is pretty much on hand.

The rooms are also great; beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are large. I like the bliss spa toiletry products we used while there.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you for your review of your stay at the W Austin. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and were able to enjoy our amenities, like the in-room BLISS products. I also appreciate your feedback regarding the bench press and squat rack in our SWEAT facilities. We appreciate the info, as we're always needing feedback and suggestions as to how we can improve our facilities. Thank you again for your review, we look forward to seeing you back in Austin soon.

Warm Regards,
Drew McQuade

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I live in Austin, but we stayed at the W for a bachelorette party in June. We booked an area near the pool which was packed by 11am. The hotel definitely has a party scene by the pool, which was fun, but i's not a very big area so it gets very crowded. We were a little disappointed to find people in the area we booked, but they were asked to leave right away. We were also disappointed because we tried to book the biggest cabana by the pool and were told it was already booked. However, no one showed up the whole day. We were pleased with the service though.

The rooms at the W are small, but very nice. The decor is beautiful and modern and we were very happy with our room. However, I do feel that the hotel is a bit overpriced-- $800 for a tiny one bedroom suite?? But you're paying for the name, location and service. The hotel is pretty awesome and we were happy with our stay, we just felt that it was a bit expensive.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

A group of girls stayed here MDW. It was definitely a little more of a party scene (bachelor/bachelorette parties) - which was fine with us! The service was great - everyone was so nice and accommodating - especially Brandon! We had an issue with our first room which was taken care of quickly and with an apology gift. The lobby and rooms were very modern and sleek - cool vibe. The pool got very crowded and you couldn't usually get a chair but it was fun. (The cabanas were all in the shade so that didn't seem worth it to us) The drinks at the pool and at the club are expensive - more so than other places in downtown Austin. Definitely more of an upscale hotel with the furnishings and service - location was right in downtown Austin, but you would need a cab or bike taxi (all plentiful) to get to the bars. Overall a great experience and we will be looking for W's in other cities!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends