“Disappointingly cheap food”

Gloria's Latin Cuisine
Ranked #100 of 3,689 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish, Central American, Salvadoran, South American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Gloria's Latin Cuisine is the best place in Austin for Latin food. From our Salvadorian and Mexican favorites, to our award winning margaritas and black bean dip, there's plenty for all palettes.
San Francisco, California
“Disappointingly cheap food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I've eaten at the Austin location at the Domain four times now. Judging from the menu and the restaurant interior, one might hope to experience fine TexMex dining, but what actually gets served is somewhat dressed-up cheap food.

First impressions were not good.

The servers are friendly, but make sure the hostess doesn't make any dumb blunders like putting you next to a boisterous party of 14 in an otherwise empty dining room. When I suggested it would not be a pleasant dining experience to have to deal with the noisy party throughout my meal, she became irritated and gave off an attitude that I was asking for something unreasonable. Seriously...if there is a big open dining room with many seating options, please don't seat an arriving guest right next to the drunk loud after-work dinner party.

My first clue that the food is dressed-up cheap is when the bland out-of-a bag chips arrive with the black bean mush dip. Bland bland bland. Any Latino food restaurant that is serious about good food serves fresh (and hot) well salted tortilla chips. Gloria's serves factory made chips instead of kitchen made chips. If I were their CEO this is the first thing I would change.

The entrees have colorful descriptions on the menu, suggesting they've put a lot of thought into their ingredients and kitchen execution. This is not the case. I gave them four chances to impress me but each time the meals fell flat.

I will not be returning.

• Visited March 2013

Austin, Texas
“Very good "Latin Cuisine"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Haven't had a bad meal or service there. Not surprised of the mixed reviews as it is a huge restaurant and always crowded so I'm sure they've dropped the ball with service once or twice. I prefer Chuy's for my Tex-Mex fix as it's more Latin American - plaintains, black beans, etc.

Love the expensive Seafood Soup. I've had other dishes on various trips - brisket tacos, shrimp fajitas, Carne Asada, Churrasco Tipico.

• Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great If You're Nearby”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We ate here because we were staying at The Westin and wanted somewhere within walking distance. This was a great choice, no wild kids on a Saturday night at 7.30 like a lot of other places in The Domain shopping centre. The food was delicious and presented in a modern and contemporary way - Mexican and Salvadorian. Wonderful service. A contagiously festive atmosphere. Seemed exceedingly popular!

Austin, Texas
“Lunch with a Crowd”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

My office went here for lunch before a meeting. They were pretty busy and I was concerned that we wouldn't get out in time. Service was very prompt and we got out in plenty of time. We were greeted with chips, salsa and black bean dip. I ordered the Ceviche Tostadas fearing that it wouldn't be enough. Wrong! Out came 2 crispy tostadas covered in tangy orange roughy, scallop & shrimp ceviche. YUM! I ordered a side of guacamole and it was a perfect lite lunch. I left feeling satisfied and not "weighted down". I'll be back with my hubby!

• Visited February 2013
Georgetown, Texas
“Good Mexican/Latin Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was a surprise in a good way. We were expecting run of the mill food, but instead received adequate portions of great food. The Tropical Salad with grilled Salmon and honey vinegarette dressing, fruit, and mixed greens was the best I have tasted in a long time. The service was good.

• Visited January 2013