“Nice hotel, beautiful views, big bedrooms, great food...”

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
Ranked #55 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed April 12, 2009

We had a great time and hotel operations are very smooth. Not one single problem. Location and view are great. Kids LOVED the mini golf course. Best place to stay in Austin.
Just stay away from the manicure/pedicure services - they are not good and a rip-off ($130 for basically just a leg scrub, poor nail filing and poor polish covering job - it looks like I tried to do it myself).

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank PhantomOP_2013
Write a ReviewReviews (2,165)

Reviewed April 7, 2009

The resort is on the opposite side of town from downtown. The shuttle picked me up from the airport and it took about 30-40min (little traffic) to get from the airport to the resort. The shuttle leaves the resort on an hourly basis, so rides back to the airport are easy.

Both rooms I received were very comfortable with 2 full size beds. I say both rooms because I had to switch out of my first room due to construction noise, but the front desk happily accommodated my request. Again both rooms had large flat screen tv's. The bathroom is set up with a regular bathtub (not garden size) and an extra sink outside the actual bath room. Amenities in the bathroom were "custom made" for Barton Creek -- though they used to have the Bath and Body line here. The resort provides two robes per room.

Fitness center is very well equipped as it serves as the gym for country club members. There are 8 treadmills and 8 ellipticals plus a 2 full sets of free weights and also weight machines. There is a large aerobics room. When I looked at the class schedule, it seemed that most of the classes were yoga/pilates and spinning.

Spa is very high quality, clean and relaxing. The nail services I received are very good.

Room Service did not start until 6:30am which is a little late compared to most of hotels where I stay. Small pot of coffee is $6, 2 pieces of toast: $4, Two eggs anystyle (including potatoes, bacon/sausage, and toast): $14. I'd say food is above average for room service.

The bar downstairs, Barton's, is lively and open. There is a pool table and shuffleboard and plenty of space for a large party. There is a small patio outside where the men gathered and smoked cigars.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 6, 2009

Too many hidden costs. The resort charged $25. a day to park car outside. My clean car was returned covered in dust and bird droppings. A charge of $59. per day for housekeeping. Numerous charges, you are unaware of until check-out. I was not the only one complaining at check-out. My package deal turned out to be more expensive, than a regular booking.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2009

My husband and i really didn't know what to expect when we tacked on a weekend at Barton Creek in Austin after a business trip to San Antonio.
Drive was easy and from the minute we arrived everything was perfect. Rooms are large,clean and soft goods were new. Ate in their 2812 restaurant,good food,efficient service,played the foothills and Crenshaw courses. Had been warned in the pro-shop might be crowded. Never waited and finished both rounds in under 4hrs.
They have a lovely spa and I cannot wait to get back and spend more time there.
Barton Creek is not just a Texas destination. We are from Connecticut and Jet Blue is a breeze out of New York.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ctjp
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I've honestly avoided the Barton Creek Resort for many years because of reviews here and personal friends saying it was long overdue for a renovation. Plus I really like the Hotel San Jose & Four Seasons and find staying in town to be more convenient for access to restaurants, music, and morning kayaking. But when I heard they had completed various renovations throughout the hotel and found a great spa package deal, I decided to give it a shot for the night. Some pros and cons below...

Pros: Beautiful setting. Incredible views from my 9th floor room. Golf courses looked really spectacular. Gorgeous grounds (pool, landscaping, nature trail). Massage with Carmen was one of the best I've ever had. Extensive fitness facilities. Reservations agent's service was top-notch. Easy self-parking for those who'd rather not deal with valet. Spa package was a great value.

Cons: Renovated room was nice, but didn't have a balcony and was not as nice as I'd expect at the standard rates. Bed linens were on the rough side. Minor room issues that should've been previously addressed, like a shower valve handle that was falling off and telephone buttons that were not programmed already to reach any department directly. The big focus on groups/conventions takes away from the overall feel of a 'luxury resort'. A bit of a trek into town for those not wanting to spend most of their time at the resort. Too much nickel-and-diming with a steep 'resort fee' and $10-15/day internet access, which I think is really tacky in 2009.

Would I try it again? Heck, I'd nearly drive from Dallas just for Carmen's massage! I would consider an overnight visit again if the price was right and I wasn't looking to spend much time in town. At $400/night for just a room, I'd definitely pass. At my $300/night package rate including an hour massage, breakfast, and resort fee, it was a deal.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank lagunadallas
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We were in Austin over Christmas and needed two rooms for my husband, daughter, mother-in-law and I mainly to sleep in as we spent most of our time at my brother and sister-in-law's home. I mainly focused on accommodations in the Bee Cave area and when the BCS&R came up on the map, I almost assumed that the rates would be outlandish. I was pleasantly surprised when I visited the hotel site and managed to get $115/day AAA rates (along with the daily resort fee of about$11). It actually worked out to be less than had we stayed at a brand new hotel on FM 620. I should tell you that we weren't concerned with meals and did not frequent any of the restaurants on site. (There is a stocked mini-fridge in each room, but of course you know not to eat or drink anything out of it unless you are really desperate. Be sure and get a key for it when you check in, as they do encourage you to use the fridge for your own items while leaving their pricey stuff on top of the unit so the maid can see you haven't used anything.)

Our rooms were in the spa building (I was told the renovation was in the main building, but note that all buildings are connected). Spa building views are nothing to write home about, and most don't have balconies (they are tiny w/o chairs anyhow). Our's was on the first floor and had a small balcony, but it was very close to the huge A/C units, which got pretty noisy when the windows were open (I love fresh air.) I only used the balcony to check the temperature! (other room for the gals on the 2nd floor was a bit better noise-wise) These rooms are close to the spa, pool, workout areas, nature trail, etc. We saw many robed people wandering about in our complex, so I'm sure they appreciated the short walk. As advertised, each room appeared to be 425 sf. While they obviously hadn't been newly renovated (no plasma tv for example), they were tastefully decorated with very comfortable beds (duvet with washable cover). I slept like a log all 3 nights, which is rather unsual for me when sleeping at a hotel.

My husband didn't have time to golf other than to hit balls. He got a cart and balls as part of the resort fee and was pleased. (Maybe next time he'll have time for a round.) We didn't have a chance to use the spa building amenities, but I did allow my niece and her husband to use them, and they were impressed. The short nature trail area is quite restful and not to be missed.

BCS&R was really bumping while we were there, so we were impressed with our speedy check-in and check-out and the consistency of the maid service (note that housekeeping gratuities are included in the resort fee) especially considering we were there over Christmas.

At what point would I not feel we got lots of bang for our buck? That is the question! I recently checked the hotel website, and our $115 deal now appears to be $150! For $150, I'm sure my expectations would be greater.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank janea54
Reviewed December 21, 2008

Me and the missus stayed here for two nights in December 2008. Very nice property. Big, clean, comfortable room. Very nice on site restaurants (also quite pricey). Do not play golf and we did not use the swimming pools, but everything we saw looked first rate. I might choose something closer to downtown on my next stay in Austin, but this resort had nothing wrong with it.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank travelingman59
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Hotel Granduca Austin
#8 of 202 in Austin
The Driskill
#29 of 202 in Austin
W Austin
#20 of 202 in Austin
South Austin
Omni Austin at South Park

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!