“A disappointing experience”

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
Ranked #55 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Booked a weekend package here including golf. I thought the price was reasonable and it included breakfast. The rooms were large, nicely appointed, and comfortable. No problems there. In general, the staff was friendly and accommodating.

We thought the golf courses were nicely designed, a lot of challenge on the 2 Fazio courses and a more relaxing time on the wide open Crenshaw track. The course conditions, however, were very poor. I honestly can't recommend this resort as a golf destination which has such poor concept of course conditions.

One thing I noticed was that you get completely "nickel and dimed" to death here. It starts with the $25 valet, then there's the bottles of water in your room for sale for $9 each. To top it all off, our "free" replay round of golf ended up costing $54.13/person ($216.52) for "cart fees" I have never in my life seen anything like this. And I've played a lot of golf

Room Tip: Resort is big, so a room near the elevator can be a much shorter walk
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

We apologize to this past guest for an unsatisfactory experience and appreciate the constructive feedback. While much of the guest feedback we receive is overwhelmingly positive, it is our goal to ensure all guest expectations are exceeded; this information will help us do just that moving forward.

I invite this guest to contact me directly at james.walsh@bartoncreek.com for further discussion.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We spent two days here hoping for some golf, spa relaxation & good food. Since only one of us golfs, we didn't book a golf "package". That meant I was charged $272 for a round of golf on a poorly-maintained Fazio "Canyons" course. My cart ran out of charge before 18 holes; bunkers all washed-out & not raked. Very disappointing. I was told by an employee that the course would soon be shut down for renovations. Maybe that explains things.

We tried a meal upon arrival and found that they add a mandatory tip to the already ludicrous prices. The food & service were both indifferent, perhaps predictably? We dined elsewhere after the experience.

The room was extremely spacious and attractive, but didn't work on many levels:

Why provide a big, room without a comfortable chair to sit in? Why site the TV so it can't be viewed from the only seat provided?
The NCAA finals were on and I was pleased to see a nice HDTV...then I find that they don't provide a digital signal to the TV so the picture is lousy. Why buy a good TV to display a poor signal? (Am I the only person who is annoyed by this?)
The A/C was drafty and cannot be adjusted to avoid the bed. We had to turn it off to avoid a stiff neck.
The mattress had one of those puffy "mattress toppers" to make it feel luxurious. This meant the good quality sheets were no longer able to properly fit the mattress.

The best-staffed and hardest working employees were found at valet parking. $25/day to park your car within 50 yards of the entrance. They could have used some of these guys to maintain the golf course.

I would not recommend this property.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have nice wraparound balconies that afford attractive views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Reviewed April 6, 2013

A wonderful getaway to Texas Hill Country. Mrs & I made our anniversary getaway at this resort, and it was a wonderful experience. Awesome place if you are out for some R&R. Play golf or tennis if you like, or if you don't mind a little drive drive, the lake is not too far away. About 15 minutes from Downtown Austin for some weekend partying. But please be VERY VERY careful driving back to the resort late at night, since you are BOUND to run into a Deer almost EVERY time you come back late. Fortunately for us, the 2 nights we came back late, the 2 deer that we saw, were already quite visible from a distance so didn't have any serious repercussions.

Also if you like how the sky looks during sunrise and sunset, do check out the balcony on the 9th floor...it's a little stinky, but you get an eyeful of scenic beauty.

I would rate this place excellent but there are some minor things that, for me & my pregnant Mrs were quite major.
(1) Valet parking is about $25 per day, which is ridiculous, given that we are in Texas not California. The free guest parking is towards the back of the resort & is a good 10 minute slight uphill walk to the resort entrance which, for a pregnant lady (and her husband), is a good hike. No ride back to the resort, just walk.
(2) Once inside, the walk to the elevators is another 5 minutes from the front desk. It wouldn't have been so bad, had we not hiked up there from the parking lot.
(3) DO NOT eat at the resort. Food is expensive and has not taste. We had dinner, and though the service, ambiance, and the food presentation was great, it cost us $114. That also included a $15 charge for an anniversary chocolate truffle, that we did not order or ask for & thought it was so thoughtful of them to give us a complimentary anniversary dessert...until the bill came of-course. Absolutely ridiculous. After that we had all our breakfast/lunches/dinners outside of the resort. The surrounding areas have some excellent food places, less than half the price of what you pay at the resort.

Overall the place was great, and service staff was awesome, everyone from the front desk to the bell boys and the staff at the ridiculously expensive resort restaurant. Definitely my recommendation for a relaxing getaway from the hectic world.

Room Tip: Choose a balcony room on the 6th floor or above. Pretty much all the rooms on higher floors open out...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

We apologize to this past guest for the misunderstanding regarding the complimentary anniversary chocolate truffle. At the time of the meal our server caught the mistake and the desert was credited back to the guest. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. While much of the guest feedback we receive is overwhelmingly positive, it is our goal to ensure all guest expectations are exceeded; this information will help us do just that moving forward.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

The resort claims they have safe booking. This is not true at all. I was charged 5000.00 to my credit card that was not my bill. I didn't sleep for 3 days and had to fight with them for three days in order for them to remove the charges.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

I'd like to personally apologize for the misunderstanding that transpired. As I understand it, we had an issue collecting payment and the situation has since been resolved. We can assure all guests that we practice safe and secure billing practices.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

One of the best stays ever... Everything was right... most comfortable room, friendliest and helpful staff, food that was out of this world. No complaints. Something to do on the property if one chose to 'stay in' ... spa, golf, nature trails, tennis. Driving to other locations - downtown, the zoo, closest mall..whatever... was easy enough as long as you paid attention to the GPS.. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Every room from what I could tell was a 'good' room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thanks so much for providing such a glowing review about your stay. We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed our on site activities and Texas-style cuisine. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

The staff was friendly and genuine from the front desk to the gift shops. Although my visit was a business meeting, I enjoyed the ammenities during the personal time. I have never had a better buffet anywhere. Each meal had a good selection and the food was delicious!

Room Tip: All the rooms were good!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback! We're happy you were able to enjoy our resort amenities. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and i stayed at this place for our Anniversary. The property is beautiful, it boasts itself as one of the top golf resorts. With 3 courses on site and one a 20min drive I would say they have a lot to offer for golfers.

One bad side to this is golf is expensive, I paid $100 for twilight. One thing I did not appreciate was that they did not tell me course was beinh aerrated and it had many holes, most of the time they should discount for this but they did not.

I also booked a spa appointment while there for a 30 min facial. On the brochure on their website it says the 30min facial is $65, when I got there it was $95 and they said their prices werent updated and they would not honor the $65 price. For $95 the lady rushed through the appointment and kept the lights on the whole time in the room, it was not relaxing at all. I also felt put off that she asked me how much i was paying for the facial. She also criticized my skin while doing the facial saying things like ew your skin is dry and wow u have alot of blackheads. Another thing I did not like about the spa is its very cramped. The check in is on the main floor to get to lockers you go down a floor and if you want to wait in a "tranquil" sitting room you have to go down yet another floor in your robe to an area right by the gym with men and women all working out. I personally do not want to travel so much in my short spa robe.

The check in is at 4p which feels late to me, especially if you wana golf. I would like to check in get settled then go golf. I booked a king room and it was beautiful, very large and spacious with a very comfy bed. We didnt get to experience the restaurants, outdoor pool or putt putt offered. At $200/night off season with $100 golf and $100 spa, things can get pricey!!! If i found a deal I would come back.

• Stayed: March 2013
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for celebrating your anniversary at Barton Creek and for taking the time to share your experience during your stay. As you can imagine, guest feedback is extremely important to us. We also appreciate you pointing out that we have a lot to offer golfers - we couldn't agree more! In regards to your spa visit, our three-story facility incorporates both a spa and fitness center, and while many guests enjoy the amenities we offer on all three floors, we certainly don't want any guests to feel uncomfortable. I'd like to invite you to reach out directly to our spa director Mark Amoriello at mark.amoriello@bartoncreek.com to discuss your experience in further detail. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Hotel Granduca Austin
#8 of 201 in Austin
The Driskill
#29 of 201 in Austin
South Austin
Omni Austin at South Park
Hyatt Regency Austin
#15 of 201 in Austin

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!