“Needs a little TLC”

Ranked #47 of 199 Hotels in Austin
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Needs a little TLC”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Recently spent a few days at the Barton Creek Resort and Spa. While the overall experience was pleasant, it seems like the resort could use some updates to keep it as a top notch destination. The hallways, elevators and rooms could use a facelift. The health club is outstanding for those who want to maintain their routines while on the road. Played a round of golf on the Canyons Course. It was a good challenge, but make sure you give yourself plenty of time before your tee time as the course is about 2 miles from the resort and they need to shuttle you over to the course.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm glad you were able to experience the Canyons golf course and enjoyed our fitness center. We continuously strive to make improvements to the property and have just begun renovations to our suites. Look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed February 4, 2013

drove to austin from san antonio for a much needed retreat, and made reservations that morning before i departed. the resort reservation person was unbelievably helpful, and offered me a scenic room in the towers (i would definitely recommend) at a bit of savings. i booked a golf package, and the cost of this excellent room w view and the Fazio golfing was had at significant savings. included was a most excellent breakfast in the restaurant. upon arrival, the valet staff was prompt, courteous, friendly and totally welcoming. i knew at that instant that this was going to be a great experience. same attitude with the reception personnel. this is a resort that really stresses warm personal service, and i don't think this is forced. the people i had contact with seemed to just have receptive, helpful personalities. this is the kind of resort i LOVE visiting, as the total resort experience is important to me. the property itself is probably 25 years old, originally low rise, with an 8-9 story tower added. i stayed in the tower, wanting a view of the environs. room was definitely well appointed, clean neat and tastefully upscale. i had breakfast in the restaurant...excellent. my real purpose was golf, and brother the Fazio courses were the perfect solution for my needs. this was perhaps the best little mini vacation i've had in a while. i will definitely return with my family and with my golfing buddies!

Room Tip: higher tower rooms for best hill country view. unfortunately, the balconies were small, with no fur...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
We are thrilled to hear about your positive experience with us! Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback that I will surely share with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Cordova, Tennessee
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Was on business trip that had event at this resort. I guess if you came to play golf this would be outstanding but it was not for me.
First issue, stayed in house not hotel. It was a nice house but for three folks here on business it was not right environment
Second issue, house not ready till 5 pm. Should it ever really take this long to have a room
Restaurant: Very pricey, not much selection
Good, they were very responsive to my business needs associated with event. If everything else would have been this way it would be a 5

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide constructive feedback about your stay with us. I apologize your room was not prepared in a timely manner as our normal protocol is to have all rooms prepared prior to the quoted check in time, especially if an early check in was requested. We value each and every one of our guests and hope to have the opportunity to make a return visit with us right for you.

Please feel free to contact me directly at james.walsh@bartoncreek.com for further discussion.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I used this property for a business meeting that I planned. The conference facilities were fantastic and the hotel itself is very nice. The rooms were spacioius and quite comfortable. Room service was impecable and the food outstanding. The indoor pool was nice though could use a hot tub in that area and not just outside. The gym was great and loved that they had an indoor running track. The staff was delightful as well. Shopping was a bit too pricey. This would be a wonderful location for families to stay as they had many children's activities. They also have a spa but I was not able to utilize.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thanks for sharing such positive feedback with us! Our team is pleased to hear that you enjoyed our meetings and fitness facilities. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Montgomery, Texas
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Attended a week long conference here and was very impressed with the room, staff, spa and golf course. Very pricey, but worth the chunk of change for a quick getaway. Friends of ours stayed there for a couple's romantic weekend and couldn't be happier.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
We are thrilled to hear about your week long stay with us. Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience. Look forward to your return stay!
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I wanted to update my review from last summer having just stayed at Barton Creek over the MLK weekend.
Wow.
James Walsh and his staff hit it out of the park; this is what being the GM of a high end property is all about. My family and I (4 of us) had a wonderful time, the staff were very attentive to our needs, and the facility was absolutely top notch again. So glad we came back for this trip, and we are definitely big fans once again.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlookg the pool/golf course/bridge side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We greatly appreciate your return visit to Barton Creek. I'm pleased to share your positive feedback with our team. Look forward to seeing you again soon!
Bay Area
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have stayed in some very nice resorts in the US, Canada, and South America and so my expectations for Barton Creek were based on experiences at other resorts (think Post Hotel and Spa in Lake Louise, Canada). What I found was that Barton Creek is average at best compared with other resorts/destination spas. The room I was given was spacious but there was nothing special about it that distinguished it from the typical Marriott or Sheraton. The furnishings and decor were dated and the bedding and linens were passable. In other words, the room was average for a hotel but in my experience below average for a resort/destination spa. As for dining at Barton Creek, I did have the breakfast buffet and again my experience was average at best. At 8:30 in the morning it looked like none of the platters had been refreshed and the food tasted as much, the hash browns were stale and lukewarm, and the eggs cold by the time I got back to my table. The service in the restaurant was good overall as the servers and hostesses were very polite and responsive. That said, I waited quite a while in an almost empty dining room for the server to come to my table and that was after he spent several minutes at the register that was positioned right next to my table. At the end of the day, when you consider the cost of staying at Barton Creek, which includes the room charge plus a daily variable rate resort charge depending on what package or room you reserve, tax, and parking, it is an expensive option for an experience that is nothing special.

Room Tip: Consider the add-on costs (Daily Resort Charge, parking, etc) in addition to the basic room charge a...
1 Thank cindy w
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
We apologize to this past guest for an unsatisfactory experience and appreciate the constructive feedback. While much of the guest feedback we receive is overwhelmingly positive, it is our goal to ensure all guest expectations are exceeded; this information will help us do just that moving forward.

I invite this guest to contact me directly at james.walsh@bartoncreek.com for further discussion.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Hotel Granduca Austin
Lone Star Court
#7 of 199 in Austin
South Austin
Omni Austin at South Park

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!