“Great resort, Horrible customer service”

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
Ranked #46 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Azle, Texas, United States
“Great resort, Horrible customer service”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I made reservations for myself and 3 of my clients. When I made reservations I told them I would be paying for all of the rooms. The reservationist said that would be no problem. When I checked in I made sure that I would be charged for the rooms and not my clients, again, no problem. When I checked out I reminded the front desk that I would be picking up the tab for my clients rooms. I was assured that all was taken care of. I've since heard from 2 of my clients that they were charged for their rooms. I was able to get one reversed, even talked to a manager and come to find out today that another of my clients was charged for her room. Everyone I have talked to assures me that it's been taken care of. They are incapable of handling a simple billing issue. If you go, pay cash.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank TimCFP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Houston, TX
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We thouroghly enjoyed our adult only vacation here. The spa was amazing. The fitness center was very nice. The food was awesome! The toritilla soup was to die for! The golf course was beautiful. We were there over Christmas and it was beautifully decorated. There was an ice rink set up for the kids and willing adults.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time here. Our executive chef has been here for 25 years, but continues to create innovative menus that always include taste of Texas. Come back for more R&R!
PA
Reviewed November 28, 2011

A wonderful experience! I was invited here for a friend's birthday celebration - only stayed one night, but I'd have a hard time picking anything negative to say. I'd give it 5 stars on a 4 star scale! Service, accommodations, amenities, food, beverages were all over the top.... and you get a beautiful setting too. A great get-away. The only caution, is if you'll be spending a lot of time in downtown Austin, you'll have a 30 minute drive (without traffic).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
This is certainly a Hill Country Gem! We a lucky to be surrounded by such beauty, but we work very hard to deliver quality accommodations and cuisine. Thank you for the remarks.
Houston
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Just returned from a two day golf excursion at Barton Creek with my son before he graduates from UT. Played the Canyons course as well as Fazio Foothills. Foothills was probably the prettiest course I've ever played in Texas. Narrower fairways but still not too bad. Canyons course was nice to but you honestly can't compare. I did find that "unlimited golf" really means $30 bucks any additional round which don't get me wrong, won't kill me; but it's not unlimited either with the golf package. Room was better than the last time I stayed. They ALWAYS take good care of you while at Barton Creek! Thoroghly enjoyed our stay and hopefully will be back soon.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to at least make them think you'll go elsewhere. Worst it can get you is an...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Very honored that you chose our resort for this special trip with your son. I hope you enjoyed your time with one another.

You can always ask for an upgrade. If we have a room available, we will do our best to accommodate you. We don't want you to feel like you have to "pretend" like you will go somewhere else ; )
Texas
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This could have been a five star review but for the lack of turkey at the much-vaunted Thanksgiving Buffet dinner. At over $60 a person, we sort of expected turkey with our Thanksgiving, but they had run out of it by the time we were seated. We could not understand this, because they stressed that reservations were essential for this dinner. If they had a count, how could they not have ordered enough turkey? The sad thing was, more diners were arriving -- they finally got some dark meat turkey from the country club next door, but by then we had waited more than 45 minutes for turkey and had filled up on other items. The other items - seafood, fresh salads and fruits, etc, were fine, but sorry, the turkey issue trumped all else. The worst of it was, the manager visited our table and when several diners voiced their displeasure, he seemed to trivialize their complaint. He never offered to buy them a glass of wine, or take part of the meal off the bill, or anything that you would have expected from a quality operation. It would have been easy to offer a free glass of wine on their next meal.
The rest of our visit was lovely, on the whole. The golfers in our group enjoyed the golf - they said the Fazio Foothills and Crenshaw courses were their favorites. We chose a suite, which had a nice living room/dining area attached to the bedroom via a double door that closed completely. Both rooms had juliet balconies -- watch the threshold! We were all disappointed that we were charged $14.95 per day per device for "high speed" internet that was spotty at best. The front desk promised to sort out all the various internet charges but I have yet to review my bill with a calculator to make sure they did. There must be 20 internet charges and credits on the bill. Why nickel and dime us on the internet? We were already paying a premium rate for the room - but frankly it is insulting to be charged for the little stuff like that. We did like that the restaurants added a service charge to the bill, thus eliminating the need for the tip math quiz at every meal.
The bell staff was outstanding - friendly and helpful young men who bent over backward to make sure that your experience was positive. My spa experience was fine - but the facilities are pretty utilitarian. The fitness center is great - indoor running track - nice pool, lots of equipment.
The resort was decorated for the holidays and there were a lot of children, which made for a very lively family atmosphere. They added family movies in the Forum theater and a family game room, so there were plenty of activities for the children.
On the whole, a fine trip. Positives: great golf, staff, breakfast buffet in Hill Country Dining Room. Negatives: Internet charges, NO TURKEY!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on the back side of the hotel overlook the 18th hole of the Fazio Foothills course...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Kauai, Hawaii
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I visited Barton Creek this past weekend for a wedding and was very impressed with the accommodations. We stayed in the main lodge, our room was large, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was big and user friendly. On the second night the temp dropped in Austin and an extra down comforter appeared in our room without having to request one.

Unfortunately we didn't have time to play golf or sample the spa but we heard nothing but good things about both. We had a group rate for the room so it was very reasonable, not sure what standard rates are but I would say the room and amenities are worthy of four stars and I would not have a problem paying $250-$300 per night on vacation.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Thank you for the kind remarks. We hope you will come back when you have more time to enjoy the other aspects of the resort.
Houston
Reviewed November 25, 2011

A great place to stay in Austin. Get a room in the Spa building that are newer. Don't miss the golf courses, which are among the best in Texas. The highlight has to be the breakfast buffet, which has everything from fruits to eggs and meats and pancakes. A special time to visit is December when the resort is lit for Christmas and has an outdoor ice skating rink.

• Stayed November 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Hotel Granduca Austin
#5 of 203 in Austin
Archer Hotel Austin
#2 of 203 in Austin
The Driskill
#28 of 203 in Austin
South Austin
Omni Austin at South Park

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!