“Always a nice stay at Barton Creek”

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
Ranked #45 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Denver
“Always a nice stay at Barton Creek”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This is probably my 4th of 5th stay at Barton Creek and I will continue to return though there are more conveniently located hotels in Austin. Staff is extremely friendly in all departments and service always excellent.

Clearly the hotel is not new but is very well maintained. There are a variety of activities all throughout the year and always something going on.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Houston, TX
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Our family of 5 just returned from a 3 day / 2 night stay. A few minor issues, but overall a wonderful stay for the entire family.

It seems to be an older facility and built in stages, but the rooms were comfortable and adequately furnished, and the hotel maps were sufficient for us to find our way around. Not very many outlets in our room, so we could not charge all our electronics simultaneously. The ice machine on our floor did not work, so we had to go to another floor to get ice.

Our children (2, 5, 7) had the best time...at least that's what my 5 year old keeps telling me. There were a lot of activities for the kids (scavenger hunt, miniature golf, indoor and outdoor pools, outdoor chess game, nature trail, movies in the forum). All the staff we came in contact with were very friendly and helpful, except for the staff in the kids club. It was the last stop for the scavenger hunt and the kids were excited to find out what their prize would be. The staff in the kids club barely greeted us and didn't even mutter any type of congratulations for finishing the scavenger hunt. It was a very poor finish for what was a very fun activity for the kids. All the other staff we encountered during the scavenger hunt were very upbeat and made a positive comment to the children. I'm not sure I'd leave my kids in the kids club since the staff there didn't seem very friendly at all.

The sink in our bathroom wouldn't drain the first evening, and we called the front desk before dinner to report the issue. The problem was fixed by the time we returned from dinner.

My husband used the workout facilities, which were good. I ran around the very short, indoor track. There is an outdoor jogging trail, but it was too hot outside for me. I'm sure it would be a very scenic run because the hotel is situated in a beautiful location.

We were pleasantly surprised to find out the resort had an indoor pool, and loved using it during the hottest times of the day. You can tell the indoor pool is much older, but it was still functional and never busy. Actually, we always had the pool to ourselves.

The outdoor pool area was not as large as I had expected, but we stayed during the weekday and never had any issues finding lounge chairs, etc. Not sure how this would be during a busy weekend.

We're not golfers, so I can't comment on the course except that it looked very well maintained. I would love to come back with some girlfriends and try the spa.

Overall, an enjoyable stay.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Facilities were great and service was superb. Indoor/outdoor pools, putt-putt golf, nature trail, movies in the forum offered lots to do for kids!

Houston
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed there for a wedding reception. Nice place. Wedding reception was very well done. Room was fine. Decent value.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We have been going to this hotel for the past 3 years - each August. The past 2 years have been great. Staff is always friendly, rooms are beautiful, lots to do and very kid friendly. When we stayed a few weeks ago, they had some sort of bee problem out by the pool, trash was overflowing at the pool each day, pool was murky and cloudy. I did address this in my guest survey that I received and filled out for the hotel the next day. The hotel promptly called me to tell me they were sorry we did not enjoy our stay. While I do think this was just a strange set of circumstances coming together on our 1 stay, it wasn't a great experience. However, Barton Creek is now part of our family - we also love the beach village at the Hotel Del. We will give the hotel another chance and maybe this next time will be on par with what we expect. Again, the manager calling me to address the issues shows how much this hotel cares about their customers (and we aren't high rollers, just a family of 4 looking to get away), so I felt really good about that.

1 Thank sandiegomom2011
Corinth TX
Reviewed August 2, 2011

As a family (14, 12, and 7 year old) we stayed here two night/three days. We are not golfers, but desired a place that had plenty to do to keep the kids occupied. We were busy from breakfast until bedtime. There's a family game room, a family scavenger hunt, a pool, a miniature golf course, hiking trails, world-class workout facility, and a playground. Plenty to do. The complimentary cookies and milk for the kids was a neat touch for the kids. The breakfast buffet was very good and differed each morning. The rooms were nice and comfortable, not exceptional, but comfortable. Our room had no bathtub, only a shower (but that's not important to us). Each staff member we had contact with was extremely helpful, gracious, and attentive. The only negatives: we had makeup stains on our face towels and small sugar ants on the bathroom floor.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Corinth_TX
BartonCreekGM, Director of Marketing Communications at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Be sure to bring the family back this winter. The kids will love our ice skating rink!

Best,
Kelly Clarke, Director of Marketing Communications
Houston
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My wife and I have been to the Barton Creek Resort several times so this isn’t our first rodeo. As in the past, the staff is spot on. The bell boys at the drive are working in 100 + degree heat and each look as fresh as a daisy. These guys don’t walk either. When it’s time to hustle luggage, golf clubs, or fetch the car, they run. I always give these guys at least a 20 spot even if they just park the car.

The folks at the front desk are courteous and quick with a “welcome back”. This has credence with me. I realize they are reading it off of a computer screen but it’s the effort that matters.

Barton Creek is not the cheapest place to stay but it is a great resort especially if you play golf. Definitely world class golf!

The rooms need a good going over though. They are clean with all the amenities that one would expect. But this stay seemed to need more fixing then in the past.

My kids showered first and they mentioned that the shower head was spraying way too hard to the extent that water was spraying out on to the floor. Moving the adjustment from spray to massage, etc. did not help. When it was my turn for a scrubbing, I noticed it was a Moen shower head. They are equipped with silicone (or some kind of rubber) nozzles that are designed to be rubbed to remove hard water build up. A few strokes with my thumb and all was well; except for the shower head pipe moving in and out of the wall. The hole cover had simply come loose over time. It’s my guess it was not caused by routing cleaning of the shower head.

Beds are very comfortable and our room was plenty big for our weeks’ worth of stuff. I’m not sure what the name of our room was but it was in the tower. We had a beautiful view of the 18th hole on the Fazio course.

The only complaint about the resort is that everything is pricey. Coffee with a shot of Baileys and Frangelico (that I had to walk from the pool to the bar at the restaurant to get): $15.00. Sleeve of Pro V1 balls: $17.00. Kolache (pig in a blanket) from the gift shop: $2.00 (purchased four – two were missing the sausage and cheese!).

I suppose their theory is that if you can afford the room rate and green fees, then a $15 drink is within your price range. The problem with that theory is perceived value. I have no problem paying $250 a night for a room with a view – if everything works right. I have no problem paying the green fees for a round of golf at a world class course. Hell, I give the bell boys $20 bucks to move my car 50 ft! I do have a problem paying for something where I think that I’m being taken advantage of.

A prime example is $8.00 for a bottle of water in the room. I’m sure Barton Creek has more then enough customers that pay for that bottle of water without hesitation. But really, $8.00?

But, despite the prices for incidentals, I will succumb to their marketing strategy simply to play on some of the best golf courses in the country.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank HoustonHouse_Boy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Hotel Granduca Austin
#7 of 203 in Austin
Archer Hotel Austin
#3 of 203 in Austin
South Austin
Omni Austin at South Park
The Driskill
#27 of 203 in Austin

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!