“Maybe - Will try again”

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
Ranked #54 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We have been going to this hotel for the past 3 years - each August. The past 2 years have been great. Staff is always friendly, rooms are beautiful, lots to do and very kid friendly. When we stayed a few weeks ago, they had some sort of bee problem out by the pool, trash was overflowing at the pool each day, pool was murky and cloudy. I did address this in my guest survey that I received and filled out for the hotel the next day. The hotel promptly called me to tell me they were sorry we did not enjoy our stay. While I do think this was just a strange set of circumstances coming together on our 1 stay, it wasn't a great experience. However, Barton Creek is now part of our family - we also love the beach village at the Hotel Del. We will give the hotel another chance and maybe this next time will be on par with what we expect. Again, the manager calling me to address the issues shows how much this hotel cares about their customers (and we aren't high rollers, just a family of 4 looking to get away), so I felt really good about that.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sandiegomom2011

Reviewed August 2, 2011

As a family (14, 12, and 7 year old) we stayed here two night/three days. We are not golfers, but desired a place that had plenty to do to keep the kids occupied. We were busy from breakfast until bedtime. There's a family game room, a family scavenger hunt, a pool, a miniature golf course, hiking trails, world-class workout facility, and a playground. Plenty to do. The complimentary cookies and milk for the kids was a neat touch for the kids. The breakfast buffet was very good and differed each morning. The rooms were nice and comfortable, not exceptional, but comfortable. Our room had no bathtub, only a shower (but that's not important to us). Each staff member we had contact with was extremely helpful, gracious, and attentive. The only negatives: we had makeup stains on our face towels and small sugar ants on the bathroom floor.

1  Thank Corinth_TX
BartonCreekGM, Director of Marketing Communications at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Be sure to bring the family back this winter. The kids will love our ice skating rink!

Best,

Reviewed August 1, 2011

My wife and I have been to the Barton Creek Resort several times so this isn’t our first rodeo. As in the past, the staff is spot on. The bell boys at the drive are working in 100 + degree heat and each look as fresh as a daisy. These guys don’t walk either. When it’s time to hustle luggage, golf clubs, or fetch the car, they run. I always give these guys at least a 20 spot even if they just park the car.

The folks at the front desk are courteous and quick with a “welcome back”. This has credence with me. I realize they are reading it off of a computer screen but it’s the effort that matters.

Barton Creek is not the cheapest place to stay but it is a great resort especially if you play golf. Definitely world class golf!

The rooms need a good going over though. They are clean with all the amenities that one would expect. But this stay seemed to need more fixing then in the past.

My kids showered first and they mentioned that the shower head was spraying way too hard to the extent that water was spraying out on to the floor. Moving the adjustment from spray to massage, etc. did not help. When it was my turn for a scrubbing, I noticed it was a Moen shower head. They are equipped with silicone (or some kind of rubber) nozzles that are designed to be rubbed to remove hard water build up. A few strokes with my thumb and all was well; except for the shower head pipe moving in and out of the wall. The hole cover had simply come loose over time. It’s my guess it was not caused by routing cleaning of the shower head.

Beds are very comfortable and our room was plenty big for our weeks’ worth of stuff. I’m not sure what the name of our room was but it was in the tower. We had a beautiful view of the 18th hole on the Fazio course.

The only complaint about the resort is that everything is pricey. Coffee with a shot of Baileys and Frangelico (that I had to walk from the pool to the bar at the restaurant to get): $15.00. Sleeve of Pro V1 balls: $17.00. Kolache (pig in a blanket) from the gift shop: $2.00 (purchased four – two were missing the sausage and cheese!).

I suppose their theory is that if you can afford the room rate and green fees, then a $15 drink is within your price range. The problem with that theory is perceived value. I have no problem paying $250 a night for a room with a view – if everything works right. I have no problem paying the green fees for a round of golf at a world class course. Hell, I give the bell boys $20 bucks to move my car 50 ft! I do have a problem paying for something where I think that I’m being taken advantage of.

A prime example is $8.00 for a bottle of water in the room. I’m sure Barton Creek has more then enough customers that pay for that bottle of water without hesitation. But really, $8.00?

But, despite the prices for incidentals, I will succumb to their marketing strategy simply to play on some of the best golf courses in the country.

2  Thank HoustonHouse_Boy
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Everything in and around the actual resort was outstanding. We did two hours of Spa, and played golf at Lakeside and Crenshaw. We hung out at the pool, and ate at all of the restaurants. Only one complaint to report. We booked tee times for 12 of us at the Palmer Lakeside course, and when we finally got there (30 minute drive from resort) they did not have a cart girl on staff. In 100 degree temperatures that is not acceptable for these prices.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
BartonCreekGM, Director of Marketing Communication at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Spa, golf and delicious dining certainly make for an enjoyable vacation, but we understand that it is very important to stay hydrated in this heat. We will address this issue of the Lakeside cart service. Come back and play our other two courses.

Regards,

Reviewed July 29, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at this resort! Wish we would have known that they add in a service charge (tip) to every tab. Would have saved us a few dollars in the beginning. Also, not many restaurants near resort so eat dinner on premises or earlier in the evening. Room service closes at 11pm. Enjoyed the mini golf, walking trails, etc.

Room Tip: Watch for room specials on website, or package deals.
1  Thank Chrisnrobt

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the Hill Country setting. I will work on making an adjustment in the email confirmation, so that guests are better informed about the gratuity policy.

Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Kelly Clarke, Director of Marketing Communication

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed at Barton Creek for three nights last month and were very impressed. The property is beautiful and well maintained and the service was good. Our room and bed was comfortable and the view of the mini-golf course, pool and rolling hills were awesome. The hotel is located close enough to down-town that it's not too much of a drive, but far enough away that you can really get a feel for the life-style in Austin. We would definitely stay again, especially at the discounted rate we found.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
BartonCreekGM, Director of Marketing at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

We agree! Our resort is the perfect blend of Hill Country serenity and city accessibility. We hope that you return again soon. For upcoming savings, be sure to "Like" us on Facebook!

Reviewed July 27, 2011

This past July we had our daughter's wedding at Barton Creek Resort and Spa. It was spectacular. We hosted over 200 guests from all over the United States as well as New Zealand, Australia and Sweden. They all had the most amazing time at the resort. Everything was perfect from the Bridal Luncheon on Friday afternoon to the Farewall Brunch on Sunday morning. The staff at Barton Creek was great to work with and the food was absolutely delicious. Our guests could not believe the spectacular food stations they provided for our wedding reception as well as a beautiful seafood display on ice during the cocktail reception. Kristen Crawford was especially helpful and so pleasant to work with in coordinating every detail of our wedding weekend. Everyone had so much fun playing golf, swimming and enjoying all this resort had to offer during our wedding weekend. I would recommend this 100%. They made all our visions of a dream wedding for our daughter come true. To view picture of this event go to http://www.jenniferlindbergweddngs.com/Lindsayand Matt/

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

We feel honored to be a part of the memories that were created that weekend. We hope that your daughter and new son-in-law will return every year for their anniversary.
Kristin is a very talented wedding planner and we are very fortunate to have her on the team here. Our best to the newlyweds!

Kelly Clarke, Director of Marketing

Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Lakeway Resort and Spa
#16 of 201 in Austin
W Austin
W Austin
#18 of 201 in Austin

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!