“Easy access to shopping and restaurants, but the service could be better.”

The Westin Austin at The Domain
Ranked #36 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Houston
“Easy access to shopping and restaurants, but the service could be better.”
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We stayed at The Westin for business. It is a beautiful hotel located as part of "The Domain" area. This is convenient as there are restaurants and shopping in walking distance. In addition, they have a golf cart type vehicle that can take you if you do not want to walk. The room was comfortable, although the way the sheets were prepared they were not long enough to come to the top of the bed. This seems a small point but when you move down your feet are off, and when you move up, the sheets are not all the way to the top.
I loved the Concierge Aimee, and the Bartender Chris. Aimee worked diligently to find restaurants and nightlife to fit our requests. Chris at the bar was great. He also gave advice about restaurants that were vegetarian.
The one big issue that I had was with the front desk. When we checked in, the girl was rude and not friendly at all. This same girl ( I never got her name) also denied us a late check out as we would be in a meeting until a bit after 12:00 PM. I requested to speak with the GM: Keith, but the manager on duty Chris Griffith spoke to me instead. I explained my concern about the rude staff member, and also told him about the excellent staff members. I also informed him that although we were on the top floor there was loud walking sounds above our room. He explained that they might be working on the AC system.
We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights, and I expected a free night if we would give them another try, but I was offered 2000 points on my Westin Preferred account instead.
I would stay here again and give them another chance, but for a Westin it could have been a better stay. I have experienced those stays at other hotels.

Room Tip: Top floor away from elevators.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Slovak first
Texas
Reviewed June 21, 2011

My family recently stayed at the Westin Austin at The Domain. I have also stayed at this hotel for business travel. The rooms were exactly as promised (connecting rooms for a family), and were pristine and comfortable. This is a beautifully decorated/designed hotel with a great location for shopping, dining and other entertainment within short walking distance (all in a very nice area). The staff was courteous, genuinely caring and professional. The breakfast buffet was delicious and the pool area is spacious with comfortable lounge furniture and cocktail/drink service if you wish. Overall a very pleasant, perfect stay with great hospitality. We will return for our future Austin visits, as this hotel does everything right (room, food, service, parking, location). All top notch.

Room Tip: The Pool is Great!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank GoSaints2
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I brought a friend of mine from the UK to Austin for the weekend hoping for a good location to shop, dine and see the Hill Country. While I found the staff friendly and efficient, and the hotel is clean, the pool and the hotel directly face nothing attractive- in fact the view is of a large power station. The pics on the website are misleading about this, so just be clear that one would mostly stay here for business or access to the Domain shopping, but no view of the city or Hill Country.

Room Tip: Higher up is better.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank LisaG100
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We are even planning on making another trip and will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Request the front view of the Westin.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank melmora98
Reviewed June 11, 2011

As a Texan, I've visited Austin since I was young, and have stayed in several hotels during that time. The Westin at The Domain has thus far surpassed them all. In the past six months, I've had the pleasure of staying at the Westin three times, twice for business, and once for leisure. In all cases, the Westin has lived up to my expectations. The staff is exceptionally friendly and personable. Never once did a staff member fail to provide advice on places to eat, shop, or see the city. The rooms are among the best I've ever stayed in, with touches that one wouldn't expect. For example, when I travel, I sometimes bring along my XBox. The Westin at The Domain has a multimedia port panel in the desk, allowing me to connect the gaming system into the HDTV ports without getting into the back of the television. The beds are extremely comfortable as well, ensuring that I've always had a good night's sleep. Finally, the best part is the location. The Domain area of Austin is really thriving, with shops, restaurants, and a movie theater within easy walking distance to the hotel. Or, if you don't want to walk, the hotel even offers a golf cart shuttle service to guests. I can guarantee that whenever I visit Austin, I will definitely make the Westin my home away from home.

Room Tip: Sign up for the Starwood Preferred Guest program!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank ReggieA
Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I have stayed at the Westin at the Domain several times. The staff always makes the stay very enjoyable. I've never had a request they did not make sure they took care of. The value/price for the upscale environment is remarkable.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lssmith25
Reviewed June 10, 2011

This location is perfect with easy access to shops and eateries! The hotel staff lives up to the Westin name of true professionals.

• Stayed May 2011