“Great place to "pig out"”
Review of Frank

Frank
Ranked #105 of 3,801 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Frank is the ideal place for a cheap hot dog and a can of Schlitz beer or an artisanal sausage and a glass of wine. 'High-end lowbrow'The menu includes a loaded Chicago dog for $3.95 (complete with bright green relish and sport peppers), a Jackalope dog for $7 (antelope and rabbit sausage on a Phoenicia baguette with huckleberry compote) and waffle fries starting at $2.50. Daily specials feature gourmet sausages made in-house or on special order by locals: Hudson's Meat Market.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

What's not to like? Gourmet hot dogs, prolific use of bacon throughout the menu, optional deep frying, waffle fries and a great selection of draft beers. Add a dash of Southern hospitality and Frank is a place that teaches dogs some new tricks!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We visited on a sunny Saturday early afternoon. The place was busy but we only had a couple of minute wait to be seated. The staff were reminiscent of other hip young places like the Omlettry or T-Cloud Subs. A very pleasant mix of people in the dining area including quite a few families with small children. Music was tasteful and not overly loud. Overall a very authentic Austintacious vibe throughout.

We had the Texalina (House-made pork and beef sausage, grilled coleslaw, Carolina mustard BBQ sauce, white cheddar) and the NOTORIOUS P.I.G. (House-made pork, bacon, jalapeno, sage sausage topped with mac n’ cheese, Dr. Doppelgänger BBQ sauce). Liked the sausage in the Texalina better than the other but both bunfulls provided interesting flavor combos!

The waffle fries with cheese and bacon were okay--I prefer mine crispier (I bet they'd be willin' to supply the extra crispy if I ask next time we go). The 'Sweet Southern Slaw' was just that---and just the way I like it--sweet and creamy! Really hit the spot after some of the spicy bites from our dogs.

I was disappointed in the 'LI’L SMOKIE CORN DOG BITES' (Everyone’s favorite little sausages made into miniature corn dogs (serving of eight). For some reason I was salivating for these the moment I read about them on the online menu. [http://hotdogscoldbeer.com/austin/eats/] My guess is that they just dip them in batter and drop them into the fryer. Pssst...Frank....listen up!....hit those Lil Smokies on the grill and get a nice crunchy crust on the sausages BEFORE you dip & fry---now THAT might have sent me up the stairway to the sausage heaven I was dreaming about.

We were pretty tight after munching through all the above BUT we decided we had to sample a desert, so we shared a CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING (House-made chocolate chunk bread pudding with Maker’s Mark butter sauce. (add candied bacon for $1.00). Splurge a little and spend that extra buck---that bacon rocks!!!!!!--and it added just the right touch to each brilliantly done mouthful. My wife doesn't care for bread pudding...or chocolate for that matter.....but she loved this! Cinnamony highlights with that butter sauce and the cruch of that bacon.....OMG!!!!

We will absolutely drop in again and sample some of the other dogs...but for desert---you KNOW what we'll be ordering.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I found Frank through Groupon and was pleasantly surprised when we went. The reason I picked up the groupon was the bacon infused vodka- I was dying to try it. They also have bacon infused bourbon. They mix these infused spirits into tasty drinks, my favorite is the bloody Mary which comes with a piece of dried bacon in the glass.

The food did not disappoint. As a non-red meat eater I was only slightly limited by what I could choose but end up being fully satisfied with the waffle fry nachos.

The inside is neat and I believe they had an outdoor seating area but never ventured out there. It is a nice lunch place or a good spot to meet up for drinks and small bites to eat.

Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

We found this place while looking for something else. Alcohol selection was good, food was creative and unique, but the value wasn't great. They had some interesting sausage choices, and mostly everything was made in-house or locally. I'd probably go back.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Great place for some franks, sausage and brew. It's the kind of place where you can't decide on your food choice because everything sounds yummy. Great dishes from your childhood (if you're from these parts) too.

Been to Frank? Share your experiences!