“The room was not sanitized upon arrival. The bathroom was...”

University Inn Austin North
Ranked #168 of 203 Hotels in Austin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Irving, Texas
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I needed a one night room using my Wyndham Rewards points and this was available at the lowest rewards tier. At first I was a bit worried based on reviews and upon driving up to it, it did look worn from the outside with peeling panels. Inside, the hallways were still undergoing renovation, with missing carpets in places.

However, the room itself was completely renovated and way more than I expected for the price (and initial impressions). King Bed was new and comfy, all fixtures were new, bathroom was clean and shower/tub had no mold. Big flatscreen Panasonic TV and A/C blew cold. They served a decent breakfast as well, and the staff was very friendly. My room was facing I-35, and while standing outside it was noisy, inside the room it was fine. For those who are worried about safety if facing the back, I did see security patrolling the sidewalks outside.

Give this place a chance if you are looking for a cheaper alternative slightly north of Austin - I found the location to be central to the places I needed to go to.

Room Tip: Try to request a "King Executive" room - not sure what the differences are between this an...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Katy
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The service was great..The only problem was a roach in the bathroom on the tub as soon as I turned on the light. The gentlemen at the front desk came to the room within 15 min with spray to take care of the problem and I did not see any more roaches while there for 2 days. I made sure though we did not keep food in the room while we were gone! This is a good hotel for the price and they are remodeling the rooms so I would go back. Also, the homeless people that come in for breakfast really need to be eating after the paid guests eat in the mornings. Thanks

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Shirley R, Director of Sales at University Inn Austin North, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Tracy S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your valuable input- it is greatly appreciated. I was delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and that you received great service. I will be certain to share this review with our staff. We come to work everyday and do our absolute best to take care of our guests.

I sincerely apologize for the critter in your room and happy to hear that our staff took care of the problem right away. We exterminate on a regular and routine basis so thank you for making us aware of your experience. We wont tolerate that and have had our extermination company out to do an advanced treatment.

We are excited to be renovating our great hotel. We have completed much of the project but we still have some work to do yet. We have some exciting plans.

On behalf of the entire crew, thank you for your positive review! Please come back and see us the next time you are in Austin. We would love the opportunity to host you again and show you some outstanding Texas hospitality.

In hospitality,