“Disappointing sugar free”

Ranked #2 of 118 Dessert in Austin
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I had heard good things about Amy's so thought I would try when in Austin. The flavour range looked good, however, trying to be "good" post Christmas season, I went for the sugar-free chocolate.

Honestly, one of the worst sugar-free ice-creams I've had. It was chalky, floury and had no chocolate taste at all. Went back for vanilla, and same deal.

I'm not sure what their regular options are like, but stay clear of their sugar free ones

Date of visit: January 2014
1  Thank ynperth

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I had a few friends and family members in town and was trying to show them around Austin. After we had a mediocre dinner my guests asked to go out for a good dessert. We got to Amy's on South Congress (the one close to St. Edwards) to a big flashing OPEN sign and a few people enjoying ice cream inside. As we walked in at 11:02, I asked to try one of their flavors. As the snotty girl thrusts the small scoop in my hands she asked, "Do you know we close at 11? Do you know how hard it is to clean all these things out of the tubs? Have ANY of you even worked in the food business before?!" Yes, girl, I have, for 8 years. I've served, hosted, bartended and managed restaurants and bars, and I have NEVER heard of someone be so rude to customers. I was so turned off I passed on the ice cream. Some of my guests got a small scoop (making sure not to get any toppings...might have made her really mad!) but said it was okay but none of us will ever go back because of the down right horrible treatment we experienced. Ben and Jerry's was cheaper anyways.

Date of visit: January 2014
3  Thank MsStephanie3
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We were visiting family in Austin and my cousin's daughter's favourite place is Amy's, so we decided to treat her (and ourselves). Coming from England we had never been here. The ice cream definitely lives up to it's name. Some great flavours and concoctions, lots of choices.

Service was a little slow, but it was busy!

Date of visit: December 2013
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I was visiting Austin for the first time and I had heard so much about Amy's so I decided to go. The location is good but it's hard to find parking. The line was pretty long but not insufferable, only about 10-15 minutes. The menu was written in chalk so it was kind of hard to see until you were closer. I feel as though they were missing some flavors that a lot of people get. They had some pretty crazy ones. I got a vanilla fudge swirl cup. It was good ice cream, but certainly not better than any other place I've been to. I'll probably not come here again in the future.

1  Thank SansaM1
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Great icecream and the people working there are very nice. Their chocolate ice cream is delicious!! Must try anytime that you are visiting Austin