WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Casulo Hotel

Casulo Hotel
Ranked #132 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Pacifica, California
“Unusual and interesting hotel in Austin--reasonable prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Casulo is a bit unusual, and well worth the stay. The style is Asian fusion with some unusual touches. It is a spare room but well appointed. The large bathtub and an intriguing shower with top faucet and wall faucet that run at the same time. The "wall" between the bedroom and the bath area is a large window with a draw-down shade. The bed is comfortable , a chaise lounge is against the window, and the lighting is suitable for romance or for reading. Seriously. A continental breakfast is included, but we can't vouch for the quality as we were out with relatives. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 302, having asked for a quiet room. It was perfect. Not the greatest view, but q...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Spring, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We booked this hotel to attend SXSW and paid close to $300. For a 4.5 star hotel, I would expect much better amendities then what was listed and what the condition of the hotel. Review the other listings - I agree with what other people have said. If you get a good deal - $125 or less - then it is worth it - otherwise, spend your money elsewhere. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels throughout my life so I feel that I have a good sense of what ranks as a 4 1/2 star hotel. "Free breakfast" cost an extra $10 for the second person and consisted of bagels and toast - no fruit. The hotel description website mentioned it "exemplifies the Zen lifestyle". How can a "Zen like" hotel not offer tea as an option with the coffee maker in the room? Or has a sticker on the plastic garbage can in the room (see photo). We figured out the owners have a heck of a website builder and author but this is at the most a 3 star hotel. I will say it was one of the most unique showers I have every seen (see photo).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Central , Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I booked this hotel on Travelocity. Price was right and location is good, centrally located and easy access to I-35. The property is an older one that has been refurbished. It still has that "new carpet" smell. The room I'm in as I type this is clean with very high ceiling and a comfortable bed. Interestingly, the bathroom wall has been replaced by a glass 'window' into the sleeping area. It opens up the room and there is a curtain there to provide privacy. If you position yourself just right, you can watch TV through the bathroom glass while showering.

Check in was fine, the woman there was new but eager to do a good job, friendly and apologetic about not knowing the system yet.

The decor of the hotel is rummage sale zen/chic. It's eclectic, and I like it, others might not. There's a small bar in the lobby and a pretty standard free breakfast.

No Bible in the room. I travel a lot and have been paying attention to that recently.

Finally, this is an interesting clean and convenient hotel. I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, suites are nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We didn't realize when we booked this hotel that it was near everything we wanted to do in Austin. A short drive to Lockhart, to Driftwood and Congress. We loved having a nice breakfast available to us for free; we even used the bread for our left over BBQ, so that was a "plus" for us. They are just 1/3 mile away from a great sports bar where we saw the playoff games. If we go back to Austin; we would stay there again. A nice bar if you want a drink on the way back to your room. Small but very clean and a nice place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

You can usually book this hotel for $120-150 on hotels.com when the rest of Austin is full - and for the price it isn't bad. The bathrooms are very good and the rooms are reasonable. The theming throughout the hotel is strange - it's like they tried to do a Hotel San Jose with Asian art and it doesn't quite work. The check-in and bar service is inconsistent and the food in the bar takes a while - a little training here would go a long way. Overall, it's not a bad place to stay despite the quirkiness.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

The biggest problem with this place is the image they cultivate on their website is different from reality. If you go thinking you are staying at a spa resort with all the amenities of a top end boutique hotel then you will be sorely disappointed.

We booked a stay through Groupon and got a fantastic rate for a 4 night stay in a Superior Suite. The hotel itself is very conveniently located near downtown and most of the things you want to see while visiting. It is literally right off the 35. The neighborhood isn't anything that inspires you but I also didn't feel any security concerns.

They have some simple breakfast room service available on weekdays (at the most reasonable prices I've ever seen) and a nice continental buffet available at no charge in the lobby. They also have a little bar in the lobby. The room was cleaned each day to our satisfaction and the hotel staff were accommodating to our needs.

Our room was actually really cool and was about the only thing that lived up to the lofty expectations set by the website. The decor was modern and peaceful. It was clear the room had been remodeled recently. The bath and shower was quite stunning and about as nice as I've seen in a hotel in this class. The size of the room was also a positive. We half-joked that it was about the same size as our first downtown apartment--and it probably was minus a kitchen area. There is a nice flat screen and a couch in the sitting area. The bed was very comfortable and the mood lighting was very well designed for a peaceful environment.

The biggest negative for us was the traffic noise from the 35. We had corner room (with very cool floor to ceiling mirrors) that partially faced the freeway. The traffic noise woke us up each weekday morning when rush hour started.

The hotel is a pretty nice place if you are able to get past the expectations set by the website and get a good deal. The best way to describe it is a Hampton Inn with a really nice bathtub/shower and upgraded room decor. We weren't planning on spending much time at the hotel on this trip so it worked out really well for us with the cool room and central location

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from I-35 for a quieter weekday stay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cibolo, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I booked this hotel through hotels.com, thinking it was a very nice boutique hotel from the beautiful pictures on there website. I arrived at the hotel and immediately noted the shady neighborhood and roach motel that was on one side of the venue. Upon driving up the entrance, it looked run down, they had cut down some trees and left the logs there to rot in the weeds around it.

I checked in early and headed to my room, which I found with the door open and a hotel employee was checking to make sure it had been cleaned properly. So I got settled and started exploring my room. Immediately I noticed that repairs were sloppy and corners were cut to save money. The furniture was stained, sticky, had huge scratches and chips on every piece in the room. No attempt to repair anything in the room. On further inspection of the lighting, the bathroom vanity mirror/light did not work. Also found a used bar of soap left on the edge of the tub, a used bottle of shampoo left open on the back of the toilet and a random screw left on the bathroom vanity.

The proximity of the bed to the TV is ridiculously far, also the TV remote and furniture surfaces where sticky and not wiped down. There were some mystery stains on the benches in the room as well. The balcony was nice, but the seal on the door was warped and allowed the wind to howl all night and the door would not stay closed if you didn't secure the dead bolt. The view was of the low income housing surrounding the hotel, roach motel beside it with a distant view of downtown.

Room Service......there is no room service! But you can buy a canned coke from the vending machine for a $1.50 a piece, that is outrageous, complete rip off. Tried to use the ATM in the lobby, it did not work and the guy at the counter was absolutely no help.

I would never stay here again, this is false advertising at its best....The pictures of the rooms on the website are beautiful and tranquil. The hotel overall is very disappointing.

Room Tip: Run like hell to another hotel!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TexasBelle79

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels