“Lovely Stay”
Review of Casulo Hotel

Casulo Hotel
Ranked #146 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed here for a wedding. I got a great deal and I would have even been pleased with the listed prices on the website. Cute boutique hotel. The staff was very friendly. I didn't have an opportunity to experience the amenities but the bed was WONDERFUL. Im sure I was in a basic room. The hotel itself is in between a motel and an apartment complex. Not the best neighbors but frankly, I wasn't there to look next door. Evereything is give and take people. If you have perfect service, views, and luxurious amenities that you probably dont use all at one time it will COST you. If you are looking for a unique, non best western, great nights sleep, and close enough to downtown where a cab doesnt seem like suicide, this is your place!
There was not an iron or ironing board in the room. I think it was supposed to be there but the housekeeping maybe forgot to put it in. The bathroom was WONDERFUL. Everything looked clean.

There were small things that I would have changed. It seems as though the owners/operators may have a lost a little bit of what we are use to or what we feel are important. By we, I mean Americans, who are used to having everything readily available at our finger tips. Like, easily accessible electrical outlets. Shelf in the shower for your shampoo. But these are MINOR things when I compare it to the friendliness of the staff and the bed and the spacious room.

If you want the four season experience, you should go to the four seasons. I can't wait to visti Austin again so that I can go back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank natalie b

Reviewed November 30, 2012

We recently attended the F-1 races in Austin and the only place we could find to stay was the Casulo Hotel. It is new and strives to create an oriental vibe through its minimalistic furnishings and art. Unfortunately, the service is also minimalistic. Whenever I asked a question, such as "do you have any newspapers?", the response was always the same, a vacant look of incomprehension followed by a shrug.

When thinking of a word to describe the front desk employees, the term "slacker" comes to mind.

Because the F-1 races jacked up the prices at all the hotels, I did not protest that this gussied-up, fancified box on Interstate 35 charged $600 per night. For us, it was a place to rest our heads after each incredibly fun and exciting day in Austin.

The bedrooms are also a little weird; the bathroom/tub area is separated from the bedroom by a large plate-glass window. If you want to lie in bed and watch your roommate sitting on the toilet, this is the place for you. Or you can open the window curtains and have a fine view of the parking lot.

Anyway, we love Austin, one of the coolest towns in the world and the Circuit of the Americas (where the F-1 races were held) is nothing short of spectacular. For next year's race, I need to book a place earlier and not wait until the last minute.

Oh, I almost forgot; they double charged us for our room. My wife brought me our AmEx bill and asked, "Is this right?" Of course, it was not right and we'll get it corrected but it is a small indicator of how they do business.

The Casulo's best employees are the maids and the hotel's shuttle driver. They seem to care about their jobs and want to do the best they can.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank boudin
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I think people are being a little too picky with the Casulo....especially for the price. Most of the reviews I read for the Casulo were not good but I decided to stay there anyway. I'm glad I did! It is not a 5 star Hotel but they don't advertise it as that. For the price, it was an awesome Hotel. I especially loved the rooms....I had a deluxe King and it was more than enough room for me. Some reviews think it's weird to have a window wall between the bed and the bathtub. I thought it was great! I got to soak in a deep bathtub AND watch TV!!! The rainforest showerhead was too cool!

They are trying out something new at their lounge. The gal's name is Jackie who is trying to get some things started! She makes a good margarita! I also tried some chinese food from the menu, chicken fried rice and egg rolls, and they were good! The continental breakfast doesn't have a wide variety but it was more than enough....bagels, bread for toast, cereal, fruit, juices, coffee....

I will stay there again!

Room Tip: It's 3 stories...ask for a third floor room which was quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank 50Sue2012
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I am living in an alternate universe from the good reviews. This place is dirty, cheaply furnished, and tacky. Looks like a designer for "adult" films furnished it at the dollar store. The beds are comfy once you get by the tired looking sheets, and the black hair on my pillow. The furniture is chipped and dirty, the walls have marks, the carpet needs cleaning and is ill fitting with a big bulge running across the room. The guy at the front desk did not know if they had airport transportation. The coffee cups in the "cafe" are styrofoam. The "milk" for coffee is Coffemate. Thank goodness they had milk for the cereal, albeit, no low fat or skim. Nice shower. No mini-bar, but an empty fridge. No amenities beyond a teeny bar of cheap soap and shampoo, etc. fingerprints everywhere. When I was having cereal (no hot food included) in the breakfast room, which doubles as a restaurant and bar which does not appear to be open very much, the guy decided to sweep the floors around me and spray the tables. Then the cleaning gal turned on a mega vacuum right over my shoulder. Ugh. I would never send anyone here, and I am not prissy. Lots of cracks in the concrete around the sad looking pool. I've stayed in better no tell motels on highway 95.

Room Tip: Don't come here.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank sistahsays
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was a bit skeptical when I booked my room at the Casulo Hotel. The reviews were very mixed. We were traveling to Austin for a UT game, and usually stay at the Four Seasons downtown. Even though I started looking about four months out, there was NOTHING in downtown available. When I came across this hotel it looked great and was very well priced for a hotel so close to downtown...which again, made me skeptical. I didn't have much of a choice so I booked it and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is right on 35 and is seriously only 5 minutes from dt - in traffic. The rooms were cute and trendy and were clean. Although our room was very hot when we arrived, but was easily fixed with AC. Now please do not get me wrong. this hotel is not the four seasons, there is really no amenities other than the room itself, but it is clean and the rooms are upgraded and decently spacious. They state that they have breakfast - but it was pretty sad. They also state that they have a bar and restaurant, but it was never open while I was there. But heck, for 150 a night on a UT weekend, 5 minutes in traffic from downtown, it worked!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Having lived in and regularly visit Austin, the Casulo was a new one on us - in fact none of our family/friends knew of it. We choose to have our own independence when visiting so the "Zen" theme appealed to us.
On arrival we wanted to order a meal but "the restaurant only opens Wednesday thru Saturday - sorry about that" When we said the website and in-room info packs make no mention of the opening hours being changed - "sorry about that".
The Petit Suite was not as expected and we were now in the larger Room 111.
Question - when did: beige; a Jimi Hendrix poster; poor carpet; cheap furniture and tea/coffee making equipment in the BATHROOM - gross! - we moved everything in to the bedroom- become Zen? The bed was comfy with too many covers, but easily removed - our personal choice; bathroom facilities very good. We don`t recommend this room though due to the noise of the water flowing outside to the hosepipe first thing in the morning.
Breakfast, agree continental not excellent but when we booked we phoned to ensure full breakfast was included, when we checked in we confirmed full breakfasts were included - again confirmed. Billy the chef made an excellent job of our breakfasts - rating? EXCELLENT!!!
We agree the towel changes are daily, bed making poor - we re-did it ourselves, condiments replaced???? We topped up from the breakfast bar.
When we checked out four nights later they wanted to charge for the breakfasts!!! The costs for same were eventually removed after "sorry about that"- sounds like a familiar reply from the same guy, who had confirmed upon arrival and spoken with previous to stay.
Poolside flora and forna.....Zen?? One dead Bonsai and sundry greenery........but cleaned meticulously.
Stay again or recommend - only if they remodel sometime soon.

Room Tip: don`t have west facing first (ground) floor room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nettej_11
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel was not as advertised. The pluses were the room was fairly spacious and the beds comfy. We did not have a jacuzzi tub, we did not have even a closet to hang our clothes. Room cleaning service was poor to almost non existent. Towels were changed out but the beds were made up only 2 out of 3 days. Trash was not emptied, coffee condiments not replenished, floor not vacuumed, etc... Mentioned the lack of room service to the front desk and was told "sorry about that". Did not use the restaurant services as the restaurant area setup looked awkward. Was frustrated the night we came in after 11pm and the front parking lot was full. We had to park in the rear - which should have been okay but the rear entrance did not have a key card reader to access the door. We had to walk around the building to gain entrance - in the rain! Would not ever stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends