“Better than I thought”
Review of Casulo Hotel

Casulo Hotel
Ranked #150 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was a bit skeptical when I booked my room at the Casulo Hotel. The reviews were very mixed. We were traveling to Austin for a UT game, and usually stay at the Four Seasons downtown. Even though I started looking about four months out, there was NOTHING in downtown available. When I came across this hotel it looked great and was very well priced for a hotel so close to downtown...which again, made me skeptical. I didn't have much of a choice so I booked it and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is right on 35 and is seriously only 5 minutes from dt - in traffic. The rooms were cute and trendy and were clean. Although our room was very hot when we arrived, but was easily fixed with AC. Now please do not get me wrong. this hotel is not the four seasons, there is really no amenities other than the room itself, but it is clean and the rooms are upgraded and decently spacious. They state that they have breakfast - but it was pretty sad. They also state that they have a bar and restaurant, but it was never open while I was there. But heck, for 150 a night on a UT weekend, 5 minutes in traffic from downtown, it worked!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Having lived in and regularly visit Austin, the Casulo was a new one on us - in fact none of our family/friends knew of it. We choose to have our own independence when visiting so the "Zen" theme appealed to us.
On arrival we wanted to order a meal but "the restaurant only opens Wednesday thru Saturday - sorry about that" When we said the website and in-room info packs make no mention of the opening hours being changed - "sorry about that".
The Petit Suite was not as expected and we were now in the larger Room 111.
Question - when did: beige; a Jimi Hendrix poster; poor carpet; cheap furniture and tea/coffee making equipment in the BATHROOM - gross! - we moved everything in to the bedroom- become Zen? The bed was comfy with too many covers, but easily removed - our personal choice; bathroom facilities very good. We don`t recommend this room though due to the noise of the water flowing outside to the hosepipe first thing in the morning.
Breakfast, agree continental not excellent but when we booked we phoned to ensure full breakfast was included, when we checked in we confirmed full breakfasts were included - again confirmed. Billy the chef made an excellent job of our breakfasts - rating? EXCELLENT!!!
We agree the towel changes are daily, bed making poor - we re-did it ourselves, condiments replaced???? We topped up from the breakfast bar.
When we checked out four nights later they wanted to charge for the breakfasts!!! The costs for same were eventually removed after "sorry about that"- sounds like a familiar reply from the same guy, who had confirmed upon arrival and spoken with previous to stay.
Poolside flora and forna.....Zen?? One dead Bonsai and sundry greenery........but cleaned meticulously.
Stay again or recommend - only if they remodel sometime soon.

Room Tip: don`t have west facing first (ground) floor room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nettej_11
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel was not as advertised. The pluses were the room was fairly spacious and the beds comfy. We did not have a jacuzzi tub, we did not have even a closet to hang our clothes. Room cleaning service was poor to almost non existent. Towels were changed out but the beds were made up only 2 out of 3 days. Trash was not emptied, coffee condiments not replenished, floor not vacuumed, etc... Mentioned the lack of room service to the front desk and was told "sorry about that". Did not use the restaurant services as the restaurant area setup looked awkward. Was frustrated the night we came in after 11pm and the front parking lot was full. We had to park in the rear - which should have been okay but the rear entrance did not have a key card reader to access the door. We had to walk around the building to gain entrance - in the rain! Would not ever stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was a wonderful experience for my wife and I! We got a great deal on a 3 night stay through Orbitz, and could not be more pleased. The hotel is clean and the shower is AWESOME! I would go back for the shower alone. The beds are ULTRA soft and comfy. It was nice to crank the a\c down to 67 and pile on the covers. Slept like a baby all three nights. They have a continental breakfast which isn't the best, but you can order up the breakfast you like for a charge. We loved the modern zen feel. It is right on the main highway, I-35, and is only a couple of minutes from downtown, or any of the other major highways. We will without question be paying them another visit! You should too!

Room Tip: We got a deluxe room, which is more than adequate.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is by far the best hotel that I have ever stayed in. I've stayed in quite a few hotels since and nothing compares! The staff is friendly, the bed was amazing, and the jacuzzi tub by the TV was by far the best part! The fact that the tub changed colors in the water was a really neat plus! I will definitely be back to stay here again whenever I head back that way.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hannah L
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed here for night to catch an early flight to New York, we arrived late at night, check in was prompt, we had a room on the third floor. The room was modern and very spacious, no complains. The bath was interesting, with a glass see thru window but you could cover it for privacy. I like the property but would only stay here again if we were catching a flight since its too far from downtown whete i usually stay if visiting Austin but it is really close to the airport. In the end, the hotel is a great value and the rooms are nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank UTFan26
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We've stayed here numerous times since it is so convenient for us. Located right off I35 and right by my daughter's school, St.Edwards University. We loved that it's different, very Austin, keeping it weird I guess. Unusual bathroom, clean, modern zen feel. Great complimentary breakfasts too. Including omelet chef.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family