“We have renamed this hotel the CRAP-sulo”
Review of Casulo Hotel

Casulo Hotel
Ranked #152 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed May 27, 2011

If you drove your own car, brought your own alcohol, packed your own food, don't care about interior design & don't mind smoky non-smoking rooms, then this MIGHT be the hotel for you. Getting cabs to come to Casulo was sketchy at best and the airport "shuttle" was some guys old car. When we tried to schedule the airport "shuttle" the clerk said she would check into it, but she never got back to us, so we had to hire our own shuttle. The bar ran out of alcohol & was not restocked. Crazy as it sounds, another guest brought his own vodka down from his room to share with us. One night we tried to order room service but were told they "decided to close the kitchen early." And don't believe the modern/spa/zen photos on website! Someone made the big mistake of cluttering what might have originally been a calm, austere space with (no-joke) garage sale looking furniture and horrible 1970's/1980s nik nacks. Rooms were the only nice ammenity. They are well furnished and beds are nice. EXCEPT for the fact that our room REEKED of cigarettes. This is odd for a non-smoking hotel, but we figured it out when we found an old papercup on our balcony being used as an ashtray. Apparently, we were the staff's smoking hang out! Breakfast was reportedly good, we didn't try it. It really felt like the Casulo was under new/questionable management. I would not be surprised if they are out of business in 6 months. I wouldn't stay at the Casulo again unless I somehow time traveled back to a date prior to May 2011 OR if I had labotomy.

Room Tip: Ask which balconies the staff smokes on
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank emersonhippo
CasuloHotel, General Manager at Casulo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

We are surprised to hear such a negative review of our property. This is disturbing to hear, because we seldom receive complaints. Most of our guests are pleasantly surprised by our property, staff, amenities and overall value. Please consider the Casulo Hotel again when visiting Austin.

Reviewed May 6, 2011

This hotel is on the frontage road off I-35 and our GPS could not locate it but a call to the hotel helped us get there. They are not walking distance from downtown and South Congress but it is only a few minutes drive so not a big deal. Contrary to another older review, they do not offer a shuttle downtown anymore.

We stayed in a Deluxe King. The room was clean and nicely furnished. The ceilings are high and it echoed a bit in there. The bed was comfortable and the linens were really soft. The only thing we did not care for was the window between the bathroom and bedroom. There's a shade but when my husband got up early and switched on the light, the whole room glowed which woke me up. Other than that, it was a cool room,

The breakfast was very good. Fresh muffins and fruit. The chef made us each an omelet and I think they would have made anything we asked for.

All around, a nice place to stay in a great city.

Room Tip: Direct to hotel website. Booking sites chrg a fee.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
CasuloHotel, General Manager at Casulo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2011

Thank you for your wonderfully kind words about the hotel! We truly appreciate the time you took to describe our hotel. We want to apologize for the inconvenience. Our shuttle service was out of commission for one week while we were switching insurance companies. The shuttle service is available once again! We apologize that you were not able to utilize that convenience during your stay. Next time, the shuttle will be ready for you.

Reviewed April 27, 2011

The Room
The Asian inspired décor made us feel like we were in a high-end boutique hotel. The bed was very comfortable with fluffy white bedding and several pillows. Also worth mentioning was the bathroom-- the shower and bathtub were connected. Go to the Casulo web site to see a picture of this unique feature.
Location
The hotel is right off the highway and is within a 5 minute drive to most Austin activities.
Amenities
Many free services make this hotel also a good value. There is a breakfast buffet (average food), computer with printer, outdoor pool (too cold for us to use) and a small workout room.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Enjoyed the location, only a quick 5 minute freeway drive into downtown. The rooms were very nice, simple, and modern. Morning breakfast was good, it included biscuits and gravy, potatoes, eggs, toast, bacon and coffee. Breakfast could have been great if they included fruit or at least a basket of apples available to the guest throughout the day.

Would I stay here again? Not sure because of the costly rate.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Stayed for a week on a recent biz trip. Staff was very friendly and helpful (dinner recommendations). Bed was mushy but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Large, high ceiling room, which was nice. Included a full size tub with separate shower and overhead rainfall showerhead -- that's the first time I saw that combo in anything less than a $300/nt room.

Never touched the eggs/bacon breakfast but I was pleased that I could at least get a bowl of cereal, included.

Good value at the ~$130 I paid, especially since everything downtown (10min away) was near $200 plus Parking, plus Internet

Room Tip: Book Early -- I think I got an Exec King
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 31, 2011

I was traveling with my grandson on his spring break. I found this hotel online and it looked nice and the price was right. I was impressed from the time we walked in the door till the time we left. Terrific service, good breakfast. The decor is modern, clean lines. But does not feel uncomfortable. The beds were SUPER! We stayed 2 nights and I had the best rest I have had in a long time. After walking all day in Austin, the hot tub felt great! This hotel is family owned and they sincerely wanted our stay to be pleasant. They exceeded my expectations. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Austin is a hard place to book a hotel. The location of the W would have been perfect for us, but not the price. We like boutique hotels, but were unsure of the Hotel San Jose recommended to us by friends, as it had mixed reviews here - the location would have been MUCH better and it did look like a nice place when we walked by. The Casulo is a nice hotel, but in a bad location - you need a car to stay here and it is right off the freeway, which was CLOSED when we stayed here (major pain getting to and from the hotel ALL weekend. Not the hotel's fault, but be ware they are doing highway work). Our view sucked - we were on the Southern side; yay, Sun finally!!!! not so fast...There is an apartment complex next door. We wanted to open our windows, but if you do there is no privacy curtain, only the heavy black out curtain - so it is all or nothing which is a drag. We hung up a towel on the window so we could see the sun and have privacy, really classy ~ why can't the hotel fix this?

This hotel is weird. It kind of has a hip vibe, and rejects from the San Jose like us seem to stay here, but there really is nothing hip about it. It is not a boutique hotel, it is more of an upscale cheaper hotel ~ way too expensive for what it really is and it can be a bit deceiving on the internet. The neighborhood isn't great. It seems to be family run which is nice. Breakfast included tator tots - huh? People came down to breakfast in their pajamas! I don't think I have ever stayed anywhere where that is the norm... There is a pool, but it is small if you think you are going to sit out by it and hang out, I doubt you will feel that way when you get there. Despite the younger folks carting drinks up to their rooms, there were no raucous noisy parties when we stayed here - we slept well without ear plugs. I did hear someone in the room next to us with their tv on Sunday night when we were here. Overall our stay was nice, the room was clean, I slept well, but we didn't really like it. But it is Austin and you don't have much of a choice if this is what you are comfortable paying. Stay on the North side, at least you can leave your windows open.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple