Tripadvisor
Austin
All reviews yoga barn floating meditation challenge course growing pains hatchet throwing cardio drumming aerial yoga wellness retreat fitness classes beautiful resort like sleeping on a cloud hill country relaxing getaway infinity pool lake travis girls weekend restaurant staff
Selected filters
Reviewed January 21, 2020

I have stayed at the Arizona property and I would highly recommend that property over this one. This felt like staying at an average Hyatt hotel. The room was quite plain and drab. The bed was not very comfortable- way too soft. Food at the buffet was average. The made to order items were much better. I thought the activities at Arizona were much better/robust than what was offered in Austin.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank OpusXDoubleCorona
MiravalManagement, Resort Manager at Miraval Austin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear OpusXDoubleCorona,

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read that your experience with us did not exceed your expectations. Rest assured that I will review your feedback about our culinary offerings, programming, and bedding with our leadership team, and we will take corrective action to improve these points. We wish you a wonderful 2020.

Reviewed January 19, 2020

In 5 years, this property will be great. For now, it’s coming along. Very peaceful and pretty and the staff are beyond courteous and lovely. For now, there are still a few rough edges:
- the property itself looks like it is still in progress - the landscaping is bare and looks like they are still laying it out, many exposed utility areas (high voltage, etc), seems incongruous to the retreat environment.
- the rooms feel a little flimsy - love the minimal aesthetic but it looks like they are still waiting for some finishes. Does not feel like a luxurious room - my room did not even have a chair! Towels are scratchy and products are meh. Floors are squeaky and thin. That said, the bed and bedding are amazing!!!! So soft and luxe!
- programming is there and fairly comprehensive, but limited. If you are really into yoga, this may disappoint. Only 45 minute classes and all felt very very basic. Might have been nice to have one extended class. Other classes were fine, but without any outside trails, they did not meet my needs. No class was better than you could find at your gym or club. Their equipment was new, but not extensive. No Pilates reformers, no specialized equipment. Does have trx. Can not speak too much for the mindful classes, but did love the bee guy and seeing the farm.
- the food is good. If you want to eat whole yummy food - it’s here! They use butter, flour, sugar, everything - so if you are trying to limit yourself, you will need self-restraint! While good, the food did get redundant. Basically the same stuff everyday with a small twist. No surprises except for an Avacado chocolate cookie!
- because the programming is somewhat limited, there isn’t a ton to do in the evening. Limited evening meditations, classes or the like.
- there were a lot of “add-ons.” Some seemed fine, but many seemed excessive - extra charges for many many classes.
All in all, I had a great time- and I’d love to go again, but I think the AZ location and other comparable spas offer better value for time and $.

• Trip type: Traveled solo

Dear PatCPatC,

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough review. I am disappointed to read that our room accommodations and programs did not exceed your expectations. However, I am thrilled that you found our wonderful colleagues to be courteous and lovely, and that you enjoyed your stay overall. We hope to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed January 16, 2020

For the most part, I really really loved Miraval. The property is beautiful, the amenities spectacular. I went for my mom's 60th birthday and we had a blast. We did the chicken keeping, equine experience, floating meditation, power cycle amongst other classes. All in all, I really recommend coming here to detox and wipe your slate clean. The service staff there (especially in the restaurant--Cori, Peyton--and Morgan in chicken keeping) are unparalleled. So thoughtful and kind, gentle and helpful. I've never been so pleased with a restaurant/class experience. The food was also good! Portion-controlled, but satisfying (snickerdoodles, in particular, are divine). And they have a nice feature where you can email the Sous Chef for her recipes! As for the room, the beds felt like you were sleeping on a cloud. The showers are decked in lovely stone with open door frames that make you feel ritzy and modern.

However, despite all this joy, there were few things that I think can be improved. Namely, the lack of "included" activities, the lack of rigorous workout classes, and the pricing of spa services (heck, let's just say pricing in general). Some things are included here and there (mostly low-impact cardio classes, pilates, yoga, etc), but all the "novelty" classes were extra (equine classes, anything involving aerial silks, night activities). And before you know it, it's nothing to rack up an additional $400-$1200 of activities for just a weekend's stay. I think for the amount you pay to be there, these novelties should be included or simply cost less. Otherwise, what on earth is the nightly cost of covering? Small plates and lodging? That's worth no more than $400/night. I felt like I needed answers.

Mom and I got facials and massages as well. The facials costed $195 for less than an hour, so we got the $95 20-minute peel. And the massage, also a whopping near-$200 expense, was so thoroughly mediocre that I wanted to complain to the house manager. I've gotten better messages for $20 in a corner nail salon. Long story short, I was frustrated with how much money we spent versus what we ultimately got out of it. It was nice, but it left me wanting in more ways than one. I suggest you plan your experience very specifically with the experience planners before you go. And be prepared to spend double what you expect if you dare to want any sort of elevated experience (beyond snickerdoodle consumption, of course). Best of luck.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank kedgalseoul

Dear kedgalseoul,

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough review. I am glad you enjoyed our unique offerings, delicious food, and wonderful colleagues including Cori, Peyton, and Morgan. However, I am very disappointed that overall you felt the stay did not deliver based on value expectations. Our all-inclusive rates do include over 200 complimentary offerings per week, airport transportation, resort credits, all food & non-alcoholic beverage, as well as support our gratuity-free environment. That said, we will reflect on the comments regarding our paid programming and spa treatments and take appropriate action to better understand how we can offer additional value to our guests. We wish you a wonderful 2020 and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed January 15, 2020

It was my first time and my sister took me there for a much needed get away. I was very relaxed during my stay and was very satisfied with the hospitality and generosity of the staff. I was able to analyze my method of reasoning in my life as well as reflect on my methods to my madness. I just lost my father and the grief group helped me to understand certain feelings that I was having. I came home refreshed and renewed. My sister and I decided to make this a yearly trip, Thanks Miraval! See you next year!

Date of stay: December 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear christianswilliams,

Thank you for your kind review! We are so touched by your kind comments about how our programming to support guests experiencing loss helped you leave feeling refreshed and renewed. Miraval Austin offers a robust array of lectures, workshops, and private sessions that can provide the space for our guests to learn, heal, or grow through all of life’s transitions. Thank you so much for sharing this incredibly thoughtful feedback. Rest assured that we will celebrate your words with our wonderful colleagues. We look forward to welcoming you and your sister back next year!

Reviewed January 15, 2020

This is a magical place! The beds have a down mattress topper that was super hot and uncomfortable but besides that, an amazing place to go and pamper yourself! The spa has some very different treatments that I loved. I recommend the Paravana. If you have a chance, take the Forest bathing class. The hill country challenge course was great as well

• Trip type: Traveled with friends

Dear Kate H,

Thank you for your lovely review! We are thrilled that you had the opportunity to explore new spa treatments during your stay with us. However, I am disappointed that you found the mattress topper to be uncomfortable. We would welcome the opportunity to note this preference to remove the topper during future visits, as a quality night’s rest is part of the Miraval guest experience. Rest assured that we will pass along your kind words regarding the Pravasana treatment, Shinrin-Yoku, and the Hill Country Challenge Course. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!