“Whimsical treehouse that is close to SoCo, dog friendly, and has a great outdoor space!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Austin
Casa Kenwood Guesthouses
Ranked #13 of 36 Austin B&B and Inns
Fulshear, Texas
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Casita Roja is a fun artsy little treehouse with a view of the woods. The surrounding grounds and walkways are so peaceful you forget that you're a mile or so from South Congress. While staying there we had a couple of friends from Austin meet up with us...they loved the place as well and wondered how we found Casa Kenwood. A big plus for us was that the place is dog friendly. It is a must stay while in Austin, and I'm already planning our return stay!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank MrsBloop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We (mom, dad, a 14-year-old and an 11-year-old) spent a week here in Studio Azul in mid-August. The location is ideal: less than twenty minutes from the airport, less than five from the prime shops and restaurants on South Congress.
The studio is welcoming - we were always able to park right in front of it, the short path to it doesn't have more than a couple of steps, and the keyless entry was easy to use. The mini-kitchen has a toaster oven, microwave, coffee maker, gas range and full-size fridge all in good working order. We ate breakfast every morning out back on the patio below the studio, with the owners' friendly dogs. The travelers' photos don't do the place justice, by the way - even in August the grounds were lovely, green and shady, especially around the fountain on the patio.
As for the interior, even in August the AC in the studio was enough to keep us cool. Both of the beds and the futon/cot provided for my daughter were comfortable; it was delightful to wake up every morning facing a wall of windows looking out at live oak trees. There's more than enough room for four people to spread out and relax.
The bathroom is lovely, with colorful tile and towels; be aware that the wall separating it from the rest of the studio doesn't go all the way to the ceiling (we didn't mind at all).
Checkout was easy - we just stripped the beds and put all the dirty linens on the floor.
In short, we had a wonderful time at Studio Azul! We wouldn't stay anywhere else next time we're in Austin.

Room Tip: Studio Azul is great for a group of four to six and has good wifi.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mary B
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This trip was for my wife’s 60th birthday. I wanted to do something different. We’re from Dallas and we spent four days at Casa Kenwood in the Casita Roja cabin. For those that don’t want to read through the entire review, the short version is that we highly recommend this place if you’re looking for the “Austin vibe”. Well maintained, good pricing and a great location. If you have any physical limitations, please read the “Things to Be Aware of” part of the review.

The owners were quick to respond to my inquiry and were very pleasant to deal with. I booked over the phone. Like many places in Austin, it’s 100% up front. We had no interactions with the owners during our stay.
Pros
- No check-in or registration process. You use the four digit code you were provided when you made your reservation to get into your room.
- Keypad door locks. I really liked this as we didn’t have to arrive at any certain to time and not having a key to mess with was great.
- Interior is very Austin. My wife loved it, especially the Christmas lights. In the old days you would have called this a Bohemian style.
- Quiet. No road noise whatsoever. No other noise either (other than the AC units). This is a free standing unit.
- Conveniently located with regards to South Congress (approx. 1 mile) and downtown. Good access to I-35 and 290.
- The wooded patio area is truly isolated and quiet. We could see one house next door and that was it. The property backs onto a greenbelt/creek and other homes are not visible through the foliage. You really do feel you’re in a forest, even though the property is a true part of suburbia.
- The wooded patio area and the outside decorations are great. The area is kept quite clean and is well maintained. The owner’s pictures of the patio area tell the story quite truthfully on the look and feel.
- Each room is cooled with a window unit air conditioner which you’re able to control with a remote. The AC was up to the task of keeping the place comfortable in the August 106 degree heat.
- Tea, coffee, filters and artificial sweetener provided.
- Good coffee pot and there was a steam kettle for boiling water. We didn’t cook at all, but there were plates, pans and glasses if you are so inclined. Considering what it cost me to eat on South Congress, I should have had a few meals in the cabin.
- The microwave seems fairly new and clean.
- There was enough room for me, my wife and adult daughter. It’s really very hard to find (read expensive) a place like this to accommodate three adults without have to buy two rooms. This place struck a nice balance.
- There’s an overhead fan in the main bedroom
- Plenty of hot water in the shower and decent quality towels provided.
- Lovely view of the patio area from the “living room”
- The area is nice and we felt quite safe in the neighborhood. I felt the probability of someone breaking into the room was very, very low.
- Free on-street parking.

Cons

- There are bugs. I found 3 roaches/waterbugs that had keeled over from heart attacks and killed two more while they were in transit. They weren’t moving too fast so I assume whatever pesticide is being used got to them as they crossed the barrier. These reminded me of the larger “tree roaches” that one sees a lot in heavily forested properties. It was not a big deal for me, but if you’re skittish about these things, you should know that they might make an appearance. To be clear, the place was not “crawling with them”, as I only found about one or two a day in the early morning. I also killed three small wasps. They’re attracted to the windows on the patio side and were easy to dispose of. Once eliminated on day one, I didn’t see any others. I did not notify the owners as I felt there wasn’t much to be done about it, other than copious amounts of pesticide. Something I didn’t relish.
- The wireless does not reach this cabin. I tried it on three iPhones and three tablets. I asked the couple staying in the other cabin if they had it and they said they had a good strong signal in the cabin, but it was patchy in the patio/common area. So it would appear the network was up. I’m an IT guy and I can recommend an excellent repeater. At any rate, it was no great loss since our phones had cell connectivity, but it would have been nice to use my wi-fi only iPad for some things. BTW, I did not report it to the owners as it wasn’t that big a deal. I do enough of that type of troubleshooting at work, so I really didn’t want to mess with it. Besides, whether Apple admits it or not, the last release of iOS did introduce wireless issues:-(

Things to be aware of:

- This one is directed at older, or mobility impaired people. This particular cabin/house has stairs in several places and the path is quite uneven. Do not plan on rolling your luggage to the cabin. You will have to carry it all the way. A wheelchair or walker would not work here. The other larger cabin is not a problem as the door is about 15 feet from the street.
- No maid service. You’re responsible for making your own beds and cleaning your own dishes for the length of your visit. Somehow I overlooked this. Nobody said there would be such service, I just made an assumption. Again, we didn't spend much time in the cabin except to shower and sleep, so this wasn't a big deal.
- If you plan for anyone using the futon in the living room/kitchen, be advised that there are NO curtains on the floor to ceiling, side to side windows. If you’re modest, or don’t like the idea of someone looking in on you, you might want to take this into consideration. To be fair, you’re the equivalent of three to four floors up from the patio area, but some people are very touchy about things like that. Who knows what else the NSA is observing, those satellites can be sneaky:-)
- The bed in the main bedroom is a mattress laid on a wood pallet/sled. The top of the mattress is only about twelve inches off the floor. There’s no box spring. The pallet sits directly on the floor and the skids have no clearing underneath them. This becomes an issue as you try to walk along the side of the bed because there’s only about 16 inches on each side and there’s nowhere for your feet to go. If you have issues getting up off the floor (and some of us old geezers do) this could be a problem for you. On the plus side, once you made it down, the mattress was quite comfortable. We slept quite well.
- There are only two mugs for coffee or tea. If you have more than two people, you may want to bring you own mugs.

To sum it all up, if you’re looking for a place with a great sense of Austin weirdness, this is the place. Despite a few minor issues, we all enjoyed our stay and privacy. I must have liked it because I keep showing pictures of the place to my friends and my wife loved it. It will be a very fond memory for years to come.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Bob K
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Cool quirky neat peaceful unique serene comfortable interesting hip delightful mellow homey charming marvelous fab quiet relaxing affable calming soothing restful tranquil easygoing laid-back carefree and fantastic! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

The best treehouse fort the kid in me could ever imagine.
The coziest vacation retreat my wife and I could hope for.
The most comfortable home away from home we've experienced.

We're already looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Denton, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My best friend was coming to visit from New York and we knew we wanted to take a short trip to Austin for a girls night (her family and I live in the Denton area.) We wanted a nicer place to stay but knew we'd have tough luck finding something in our price range that was also close to downtown and Sixth street. I didn't have to look long to find Casa Kenwood on here and was immediately intrigued. After seeing a vacancy that fit our time frame, I emailed the owners and was even given a special deal on my reservation! You pay ahead of time so you don't even have to check in with anyone when you arrive; just enter a code to get in and voila! You are home. The decor was adorable and very Austin-y. Mismatched, colorful, and fun! We had essentially a full kitchen -everything but an oven- and even had a bunch of full-size toiletries at our disposal. We were in Casita Roja which is the smaller of the two, but it comes with a full size futon and a queen size bed so we each got to sleep separately. I took the futon and was really impressed with how comfortable it was, the mattress and the bedding!

Overall, it's great bang for your buck. It's tucked away in a really nice neighborhood off of Congress, so you are close to a few shops and restaurants as it is, and then of course all you have to do is go over the bridge and you are down town. It's homey and comfortable and I would love to stay again in the bigger casita.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Colleen O
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed June 18, 2013

First time visitor to Austin, once I saw their studios, knew it was exactly the environment I wanted to experience. The spacious unit was colorfully appointed and artistically decorated to make a peaceful environment. The large open space made it nice to visit with my niece after a day at the office without needing to sit on the bed (which was confortable making for a good night sleep) The winding pathways around the property gave multi areas to sit outside, even with private area right outsde the unit and friendly pets to make you feel like you belonged. Well stocked kitchen, if you choice to cook, or take a nice walk through a hillside residential area to S Congress to grab a bite.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Travelling_Here
Upstate N.Y.
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I figure if a business owner takes the time to repond in a professional manner to a negative review, then that owner will be responsive if I have issues during my stay. We didn't have issues. We had a great time. The bed was really comfortable. The outside area was a great place to sit/read when we weren't wandering around the Austin area. The funky decor suited our bohemian side. And Christina lent us her kitten as well, which was pretty neat. This is a great alternative to the typical boring hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple