“Not for us...and that's ok”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Austin
Casa Kenwood Guesthouses
Ranked #14 of 35 Austin B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Not for us...and that's ok”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Here's the deal, I'm an ex-Austinite with family in Austin and scattered throughout TX. My fiance and I always book vacation rental homes when we travel and we come to visit Austin 2x/year. Net/net, this ain't my first rodeo when it comes to the offerings in the vacation rental market.

Our story goes like this: my cousin (who lives in Houston) wanted to throw my fiance and I a family focused engagement party on a Saturday afternoon during our next visit to Austin. Due to circumstances at the time, there wasn't a family home avail in Austin at which to host the event. She found Casa Kenwood online and thought it was the perfect solution; two units on property, large outdoor space, beautiful grounds, etc. After a few email exchanges / phone conversations with the owner, I booked a week (a few nights in Casita Roja and a few in Studio Azul) and my cousin booked a weekend in the Studio.

The good: 1) for the purposes of our family gathering, Azul was perfect: the inside is open/spacious and could accommodate 10-15 ppl easily 2) the location of Casa Kenwood is fantastic, my fiance and I loved the proximity to everything we were doing during our week stay 3) the owner, Andrew is very accommodating and easy to get a hold of 4) the grounds are picturesque, charming and rustic (love the huge rosemary bush in the front yard!).

The not-so-good: 1) The 'chemically altered' handy man temporarily staying on property who showed up to chat every time we tried to enjoy the grounds. Some might call it part of the Austin experience, but I was never intoxicated enough to match his desire to discuss politics on other planets (not kidding). Andrew has since asked him not to interact with guests. 2) Casita Roja is two rooms with a kitchenette and, in my opinion, should be priced lower than Azul. After staying in Azul, I really don't believe Roja is worth the same price per night (feel free to disagree) 3) If you like to cook, you'll find the kitchenette in Roja serviceable but limited; and the only improvement in Azul is the full sized fridge and gas stove. Andrew has indicated that they will try to add a few more service items to accommodate folks who like to prepare meals.

There are lots of great reviews here - so obviously people are in love with the experience of both casita's, it's just not a love we share. C'est la vie!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank alexatx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed in Casita Roja. Great mix of folk-art style and Hispanic pop culture in a green oasis. Feels far removed from the hurly burly but we were able to walk to much of what we wanted to see in Austin. Strong wifi, friendly dogs, and good food recommendations from the owners (it would be great if they produced a one-page guide to the area). Only wish we'd seen a tree fox. BYO soap.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Plano, Texas
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We LOVE Casa Kenwood! The first time we stayed there was this past Thanksgiving (2011) which also happened to be my thirtieth birthday. We = myself, my boyfriend and our playful Jack Russell Terrier. We could not have had a better time! It was an awesome get away from Dallas, it was relaxing, inviting and oh so convenient. In fact, we enjoyed it so much we visited again in February when a friend from Florida came into town to check out Austin for the first time. She loved it just as much as we did (not sure how she couldn’t). We also recommended this place to a friend of ours who has a German Shepard and they raved about it upon their return to Dallas. We are returning yet again in a couple of weeks when my parents fly in from Florida.

All the times we have visited we have stayed in the Casita Roja which offers amazing views and adequate accommodations for up to four people. Although it may be a bit of a squeeze there is plenty of space outdoors and trust me that’s where you will want to be on this property. We did tour the Casa Azul, and we were impressed, it would be an excellent couples retreat.

The neighborhood itself is quite beautiful and there are bikes on property to be able to tour the city. There are tennis courts within walking distance not to mention also within walking distance is South Congress and Auditorium Shores park with the most awesome off leash dog park around! Whole Foods, restaurant row, food truck park and downtown are a very short car ride or taxi ride away (like seriously all within 5 mins. tops). Andrew (the owner) has some great suggestions of places off the beaten path and he and his wife are more than willing to help in any way possible, just ask!

This is our go to retreat when visiting Austin. I really can’t imagine a better place to spend our time in Austin.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NattyBach
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I have recently returned from a week's stay at Casa Kenwood ( Studio Azul) and can't sing its praises enough!! It is in a great location in a leafy suburb only 15 mins walk from funky S.Congress and bus routes further afield, and is paradise! Roomy, well appointed and immaculately clean, it's uniqueness is not done justice by the photos on the website and it has to be seen to be believed. The garden is a huge bonus, too, perfect for some "down time". The owners are helpful but discreet and their dogs so sweet! I will definitely stay here again when I next visit Austin.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed in the Casita Roja for 2 nights in March. It's cozy, but very cool, there are so many unique touches throughout the casita. Felt just like staying at home, except I wish my place was as nice as this one. The grounds are amazing, great change of pace if you are seeking some peace and quiet compared to the busy downtown area. Only a short 15-20 minute walk to the SoCo district where there are some great places to eat and shop. I had a late flight returning home and the owner, Andrew, was kind enough to let me store my luggage after checking out, so I was able to do some last minute souvenir shopping. Overall, it was a great place to stay and would love to stay again next time I'm in Austin.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Very cool experience. We stayed in the Studio Azul. Super comfortable. We were two adults, two elementary kids. The place was big and roomy and perfect for a couple of days or a week.

There is a fold out futon in addition to the very comfy king size bed, and the owner, Andrew S, also provided a roll up mattress that is perfect for a kid. The grounds and outside space were very inviting. The seating area inside beckons you to relax and chill out. There's a coffee maker, kettle, fridge, stove, microwave.

I would stay there again, or recommend it for friends or family if you don't have a guest room and live in the neighborhood.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed in Studio Azul for just over two weeks and it was a home away from home. It is completely quirky, but not at the expense of cleanliness or amenity. The guesthouse is in a really quiet neighbourhood, but within easy walking distance from South Congress, downtown etc. Studio Azul has a king-sized bed, which is just divine, and a fully-functional kitchen. I cooked most meals - there is a great little store called Farm to Market on South Congress, just two blocks south of the intersection of Congress and East Monroe street (opposite the food vans). I'm an active person, so I enjoyed walking and cycling in the Travis Heights neighbourhood, which is pretty hilly. There are bikes on site, but I was cycling about 20 or so kms a day, so I needed something faster - if you want some recommendations see my other reviews. I will be back!

Room Tip: Studio Azul is more modern, Casita Roja has a better view