“Monk like”
Review of Hotel San Jose

Hotel San Jose
Ranked #76 of 205 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I went to check this place for the future. People have mentioned " minimal " as to the surroundings. Let's put it this way. It looked like a bed found in a monastery. Yes it had a bed. A lamp. A mirror and a toilet. Much to my surprise that rates were not "minimal". It is a great location BUT...I visit regularly but now find around the same spot really affordable studio apts. through flip key.

Now I have extra money to spend on Congress Ave.

Room Tip: Check out Flip Key.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Susan C

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Amazing boutique hotel with less than 30 rooms, very minimal and stark but very Austin. They have awesome Malin and Goetz body products and sell them in the lobby as well. Outside bar and private pool make this a must stop in Austin.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank jeffreyjohn1978
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I was excited to try the San Jose. I usually stay with friends while in Austin so this was a special treat. When booking travel I seek out the boutique and modern hotels so this was on my list of one to try. The grounds are beautiful! The courtyard became our hangout for the next seven or so hours until we walked down the street to get some food. Yes, you can literally walk to food-the location is unbeatable. The particular room we had was a disappointment. There was a serious lack of natural light and it felt really cave-like. I did appreciate the design details and groovy robes and shampoos. I also appreciated the carefully curated sundries they sell at the front desk. I can tell someone from management has got the marketing down to a T. However, when I politely discussed my thoughts on our room with the front desk boy he response reeked of teenage ambivalence. This didn't sit well because while paying upwards of $300 per night for a room I like to think someone cares if I like my room or not, or even pretend to care. His only suggestion was that we were welcome to find another hotel for the night. This just didn't have the Texas charm I know and love so well.

Room Tip: get a room around the pool
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank seehoustonlosAngeles
Meghan H, General Manager at Hotel San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Hello SeehoustonLosAngeles,
Thank you for taking the time to review the San Jose. We truly appreciate honest and helpful feedback. I would love to hear more about your experience with our front desk staff. We definitely strive for excellent customer service. In fact, we continually provide our staff with customer service trainings and specific examples are the best tools to use. With that being said, if you would be so inclined to email me with more detail that would be incredible and will absolutely help cultivate a more effective and friendly level of communication on our part.

We'd be grateful to have the opportunity to serve you as our guest again soon and would welcome any and all feedback.

Have a lovely weekend and thanks again for sharing your travel experience with us all.

Kindest Regards,
Meghan Hughes
reservations@sanjosehotel.com

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Anytime we can afford it, we stay at the Hotel San Jose. Most recent visit was in February 2014 and we literally stayed onsite for bulk of trip. As a native Austinite, sightseeing isn't a high priority for me...lounging around the pool/bar is. Plenty of restaurants/food trucks within walking distance, as well as Congress Avenue Bridge (think Batman), Town Lake (miles of pedestrian/biking trails) and Jo's Coffee in the parking lot (caffeine and a good book, anyone?). And don't forget people watching! The 'keep Austin weird' motto may have had its epicenter at or near SoCo: more tats, piercings and dyed hair than you will see anywhere else in Texas. Hope to see you next trip to Austin, HSJ!

Room Tip: anything facing pool/lounge
3  Thank alyson w
Reviewed May 2, 2014

My husband wanted to stay at the Hotel San Hose, but we decided to go elsewhere in SoCo. To get a feel for the place we went to the outdoor patio for a drink and it was delightful. Wonderful welcoming bar staff, interesting drink offerings, and a super ambiance for unwinding after an active day. I had a sparking wine/passion fruit drink with fresh raspberries, and my husband a Texas IPA (he was on a quest to find as many as he could during our travels). Next time in Austin, we'll consider staying here.

2  Thank ToTravelIsBrilliant
Reviewed April 28, 2014

we spent a night here to get a taste of Austin and all it's glory. The hotel is right smack in the middle of South Congress. Location location location. That's San Jose Hotel. It's the right amount of hip, almost too much for me but based on what i saw on their website and what i'd heard from others, I should have expected it. The only reason I gave this hotel 4 stars was due to the size of our hotel room. It was tiny. Barely any space to move around the queen size bed. The bathroom was huge and spacious, made me wonder why they didn't think to reduce the bathroom size and provide more space around the bed. Aside from that, I would be open to staying at this hotel in the future, if I was looking for convenient location.

1  Thank TravelHaze16
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I had walked by this hidden gem on SoCo several times, and had been very curious as to what it was all about. Went to visit my son, and jumped at the chance to stay here. Can't wait to go back.

It was fabulous!! Location, location, location, fabulous staff, great beer garden, adorable pool, intimate setting, love the minimalist decor, its accessibility, on and on and on. The bed was extremely comfortable, and loved feeling like I was in a garden oasis in the middle of downtown Austin.

Felt very comfortable being here as a 52 year-old woman traveling alone. Loved the comfy patio chairs outside my room. Only negatives would be that I couldn't figure out how to work the blinds, and I think the shower could be better - hated that it was pretty much on top of the toilet, and also in need of updating.

The staff are truly fabulous and as for being next door to Jo's coffee shop - Well - what could be better than that?? Also loved that there was no charge for parking.

What a fun retreat to a whole different Austin from the one I lived in when I attended UT 30+ years ago!!!

Room Tip: Loved my room on the first floor - happy I didn't have to traipse upstairs. Also liked being off...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo