“The Joser”
Review of Hotel San Jose

Hotel San Jose
Ranked #69 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Anytime we can afford it, we stay at the Hotel San Jose. Most recent visit was in February 2014 and we literally stayed onsite for bulk of trip. As a native Austinite, sightseeing isn't a high priority for me...lounging around the pool/bar is. Plenty of restaurants/food trucks within walking distance, as well as Congress Avenue Bridge (think Batman), Town Lake (miles of pedestrian/biking trails) and Jo's Coffee in the parking lot (caffeine and a good book, anyone?). And don't forget people watching! The 'keep Austin weird' motto may have had its epicenter at or near SoCo: more tats, piercings and dyed hair than you will see anywhere else in Texas. Hope to see you next trip to Austin, HSJ!

Room Tip: anything facing pool/lounge
3  Thank alyson w

Reviewed May 2, 2014

My husband wanted to stay at the Hotel San Hose, but we decided to go elsewhere in SoCo. To get a feel for the place we went to the outdoor patio for a drink and it was delightful. Wonderful welcoming bar staff, interesting drink offerings, and a super ambiance for unwinding after an active day. I had a sparking wine/passion fruit drink with fresh raspberries, and my husband a Texas IPA (he was on a quest to find as many as he could during our travels). Next time in Austin, we'll consider staying here.

2  Thank ToTravelIsBrilliant
Reviewed April 28, 2014

we spent a night here to get a taste of Austin and all it's glory. The hotel is right smack in the middle of South Congress. Location location location. That's San Jose Hotel. It's the right amount of hip, almost too much for me but based on what i saw on their website and what i'd heard from others, I should have expected it. The only reason I gave this hotel 4 stars was due to the size of our hotel room. It was tiny. Barely any space to move around the queen size bed. The bathroom was huge and spacious, made me wonder why they didn't think to reduce the bathroom size and provide more space around the bed. Aside from that, I would be open to staying at this hotel in the future, if I was looking for convenient location.

1  Thank TravelHaze16
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I had walked by this hidden gem on SoCo several times, and had been very curious as to what it was all about. Went to visit my son, and jumped at the chance to stay here. Can't wait to go back.

It was fabulous!! Location, location, location, fabulous staff, great beer garden, adorable pool, intimate setting, love the minimalist decor, its accessibility, on and on and on. The bed was extremely comfortable, and loved feeling like I was in a garden oasis in the middle of downtown Austin.

Felt very comfortable being here as a 52 year-old woman traveling alone. Loved the comfy patio chairs outside my room. Only negatives would be that I couldn't figure out how to work the blinds, and I think the shower could be better - hated that it was pretty much on top of the toilet, and also in need of updating.

The staff are truly fabulous and as for being next door to Jo's coffee shop - Well - what could be better than that?? Also loved that there was no charge for parking.

What a fun retreat to a whole different Austin from the one I lived in when I attended UT 30+ years ago!!!

Room Tip: Loved my room on the first floor - happy I didn't have to traipse upstairs. Also liked being off...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank CrazyhazyPlano
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Did a staycation for Valentine's Day weekend at the San Jose. It was perfect! We did a grand suite, but really a standard room would have been fine since we were out and about the whole time.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and tranquil with hidden spots to hang out here and there in addition to there outdoor lounge area and small pool area. Bed was not that comfortable but I've slept on worse in my day! Great shower and amenities.
Being able to walk everywhere makes this hotel priceless! Whether you live in Austin or visiting-this is the place to stay!

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank austinitecouple
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I had a great stay at Hotel San Jose in February 2014. The front desk staff was very friendly and offered suggestions on where to eat and find a little fun on a weeknight in Austin. The location along South Congress Avenue can't be better; the Continental Club is literally right across the street, Hopdoddy Burgers is just up the sidewalk, Perla's is one block away, Allen's Boots is a two minute walk, Home Slice Pizza just a stone's throw, and Big Top Candy Shop is at the top of the hill on the same side of the street. I could go on, but you get the point.

The rooms were very modern and quiet. The bed was very comfortable and I slept very peacefully with no outside noise bothering me. I did turn on the fan to the central air conditioning unit, so that any outside noise would be blotted out. The bathroom featured really nice soaps and shampoos. There was also a snack tray in the room that offered everything from designer potato chips to candy to other interesting items.

There is a small inside bar in the lobby and an overflow outside area in which to sit and have a drink and just enjoy being outdoors.

You can obviously stay at the W Hotel or one of the fancy downtown Austin hotels, but South Congress Avenue has so much more personality and the Hotel San Jose is its heartbeat.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank AlabamaTraveler17
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Wasn't planning on staying here but after a bottle of wine on the back the porch and just seeing some of the artwork coupled with some great music memorabilia I just had to stay here. I was told lots of bands like to stay here when traveling through Austin

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo