“Retro Meets Modern in This Community Feeling Hotel”
Review of Hotel San Jose

Hotel San Jose
Ranked #70 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I am very picky about where I stay. Cleanliness and comfort come first then charm and fun experience plus location. I was very pleased with the Hotel San Jose. It is very much the minimalist/modern style and I do not live like that at home but found that I enjoyed it on vacation. The minute I walked through the ivy covered gates, I had a wash of creativity come over me. This would be the perfect place for someone wanting to work on a project that takes concentration yet has creative elements around to spur you on. The ability to be outside and not in a high-rise hotel was very appealing to me. I created a video of the grounds and the rooms if you want to check it out. Thought it would be helpful because I couldn't find anything like that when I was trying to make a decision to stay somewhere so different than my normal hotel experience. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzSYE5QpKj8 The area is the most fun area in Austin. Revitalized South Congress has great restaurants, shops, the Airstream food court (trailers that serve all kinds of great food) - think Arts Festival food area. I recommend but if you are the true business, fast paced kind of person never wanting a break from that speed, this may not be your place :)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HeatherDavisOKC

Reviewed May 3, 2011

I stayed at the San Jose for one night in May 2011. I love this hotel-it is super fun and funky. The location is great and the $95 a night rooms cannot be beat. The ONLY negative was the room I stayed in (#69) although very cute it was the noisiest hotel room I have ever stayed in. It is right on Congress Ave which is a very busy street and the noise was consistently loud all night long. BUT the single bed was SUPER cozy. I'll definitely stay here again in a different room.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We had 6 people at a table and 3 bottles of wine at the Lounge on April 9th. After incredibly slow service and being ingored for most of the evening, we got our bill which had an included gratuity. We had it split 3 ways, which on the credit card receipt broke out the included gratuity already, so we didn't leave an additional tip. Apparently that wasn't good enough for our non-caring wait staff. Received our credit card statement today and -- another gratuity had been added. DOUBLE GRATUITY. What a rip-off.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank julesintx
Reviewed April 22, 2011

After reading the reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor I felt I knew what to expect of this hotel. Other reviews commented on the fact that this was a very hip, trendy hotel for the see and be seen set. Other comments were in regard to the hotel staff being very full of themselves. I booked a garden suite in this hotel because of the location and style as I was coming to Austin to get ideas for my business (restaurants)
I arrived in Austin around 11am. I went to the hotel to check in. I knew I was way early, but wanted to just let the hotel know that I was arriving and if there was some slim chance my room was ready it would have been nice to drop off my luggage before setting out to explore Austin.
Before uttering even a friendly hello the front desk person said "IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CHECK INTO YOUR ROOM BEFORE 3PM". I thought back to the reviews on TripAdvisor and thought "yup, exactly as I expected". After I explained that I did not expect to check in that early that I just wanted to give my info this man changed his tune. He then tried to be overly syrupie to make up for his rudeness. It seemed very fake and I didn't buy into it. The other staff members I encountered were very friendly however. But some of the staff could use some customer service lessons! All the first guy needed to say was "I apologize, your room is not quite ready" and I would have been pleased. He did offer to call me once the room was ready. They called at 1pm....so it WAS possible afterall to check in before 3pm!
The grounds of this hotel are spectacular. Very nice, very well designed. The rooms are very stark. Hard, bare, concrete floors. Uncomfortable modern, IKEAlike furniture. We asked for an ironing board and were given a college dorm styled, small ironing board. This would have been ok if there was anything to place it on near a plug. We ended up putting it on top of the bed, very inconvenient. The TV is mounted on a wall with a swing arm, nice touch, but it can't be watched from the bed and sitting area at the same time.
The location could not be better. South Congress is a very cool area of Austin. Loads of fantastic restaurants and shops within walking distance.
The pool area becomes a nightclub type setting at night with DJ's spinning music and uber trendy types sipping wine and beer. I'm glad I didn't have a room facing this area as it would have been way too loud as this goes on to midnight.
Overall, the Hotel San Jose is what it is and if you're the type of person that enjoys style over comfort and don't mind paying for it, this place is for you. I love good style, but for $300 a night I'll stay at a 4 star hotel next time.

Room Tip: ask for rooms away from the pool area
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NewMexicoMatt
Reviewed April 7, 2011

The hotel is gorgeous. They've done a really incredible job of renovating it to make it a modern, oasis-like boutique in the center of South Congress. The rooms are very sleek and clean. The beds are dreamlike, they are so comfortable. Staff is eager to please. I love the implied privacy and the lush landscaping most of all.

The hotel is in the center of a bustling nightlife area. This is excellent for a short walk to dinner, drinks, entertainment, and a short (if not sober) walk back to bed. But it's not so excellent for sleeping once you get there. The walls almost seem to be paper-thin. I think this is mostly because there is no carpet on the floors (which actually seems cleaner) or elaborate wall treatments to insulate the noise. The hotel is so wonderful, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to visit it again...I'd just be sure to bring ear plugs with me to sleep at night.

Oh and make sure to check out their lounge at night. Under the stars, drinking a delicious sangria--it's divine.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2011

A friend and I stayed here over president's day weekend. Hotel San Jose is definitely a fun, funky hotel in a cool, hipster area, with lots of boutiques, bars & restaurants nearby, and hosts a nice outdoor lounge where you can get beer/wine and small snacks. the room was fine, but with cement floors and minor rugs, it just felt a bit cold & sparce. Also, the hotel is all on street level, and since our room faced the street, we couldn't leave our blinds open unless we wanted all passerby's to see our business. That being said, the bathroom hosted great bath products (shampoo/conditioner, shower gel & lotion). The bed was comfortable, but nothing special. I'd probably stay again, but it's more of a party hotel than a long-term kind of place, and for the rates you pay, you might as well be closer to downtown & have something included in your stay...

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank 229katharinep
Reviewed February 16, 2011

WHAT I LIKED: The location is fantastic -- in the heart of a cool neighborhood with more bars, restaurants and shops (and all good ones) than I could have possibly visited in a couple of weeks, let alone 3 days. The staff were very helpful and nice but low-key. The maid/cleaning service was flexible and thorough. The rooms were neat and trendy, as was the hotel itself.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The room was small, dark (except for the bathroom), and cramped for the price. There was no restaurant, though given the plethora of nearby places this is a small complaint. The pool was very, very small and there were lots of mosquitoes.

In general, I liked the hotel for its unique feel, nice furnishings, friendly staff, and amazing location. These are the reasons I'd recommend it. But I did feel that I had paid too much for what I got.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple