“Excellent Hawaiian Escolar”

Perla's Seafood and Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Perla's Seafood and Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 3,801 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Gibson
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Located in hip Soco, we almost passed on having dinner here but my wife heard it was recommended for seafood and insisted (I wanted to hit the Jamaican food trolley for some goat curry, lol). I'm so glad we did dine at Perlas, however. Though they were busy with a 1 hour wait time we were able to score a private table at the bar/lounge right away. The waiter was courteous, friendly, informative and expeditious.

We had the mussels for appetizer which were the 2nd best mussels we've had (mussels at Street and Co. in Portland, Maine are the tops). I tried the Hawaiian escolar with is a buttery white fish that is absolutely heavenly.

I would definitely recommend Perlas.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We were celebrating our grandson's academic award and luckily choose Perla's for our family dinner. There were a number of different fish selections as well as combination plates. If you chose just the fish, there were some very good side dishes to also order. We were surprised to see fried okra which had been cut in slices. The roasted octopus appetizer was outstanding. Service was excellent if at times over eager. The bus boy removed our son's wine glass while we still had half a bottle of wine.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Extensive fish menu. One part of the menu was unique, several types of fish were offered just by themselves. The fish came perfectly grilled with a tiny salad / garnish. A wonderful tribute to simplicity. Sides were available if needed.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is one of my favorite places in Austin. The food is great. I'm not saying it's the best seafood I've ever had, but I do live in Austin and not Miami, so it's pretty good. The best part of Perla's is the atmosphere. They have a great patio on South Congress, which is always good people watching. My only complaint is that they serve their lobster roll "cold with mayo". If you read some other reviews of mine, you'll know that I'm a "hot with butter" kind of lobster roller. That being said, the last couple of times, they have been very accommodating and served it the way I like it.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We had seen this restaurant on Trip Advisor and decided to give it a shot on Saturday for brunch. Food was delicious, we sat outside on the patio and the weather was perfect for people watching. I had the crab Benedict and my husband the breakfast bouillabaisse. HIs was chock full of seafood, couldn't finish the dish. Mine was delish, but a little on the cool side. Overall it was a great vibe and we decided to go back on Sunday to try the seafood platter. We were not disappointed! Our server, Nathan, was awesome! A Sunday afternoon in January on the patio sipping champagne and eating seafood - does it get any better?! I'm not a fan of oysters but Nathan selected them and I gave them a try, truly a taste of the sea in the middle of the city! My husband had oysters the day before and thought they were ok, these that Nathan suggested were from New Zealand and were fantastic. Nathan was super knowledgeable and didn't rush us. A great server really enhances the meal! We ended up exchanging cooking tips! We can't wait to go back to Austin and sit on the patio at Perla's!

Been to Perla's Seafood and Oyster Bar? Share your experiences!