“A True Gem”

The Blanton Museum of Art
Ranked #29 of 332 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: This university art museum has a spectacular collection of 20th century American masters and the United State's largest collection of Latin American art.
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We spent almost three hours in this museum. We started our visit at the special Augsburg, Germany exhibit. Since we had visited Augsburg, we found this exhibit to be delightful and very informative. The exhibit contained a collection of prints and woodcuts that depicted the history of Augsburg. The collection came from the National Gallery in Washington, DC.
Next we visited the Renaissance and Baroque paintings which were part Suida-Manning Collection which had been purchased by the University. This is a collection of many Renaissance and Baroque paintings. A very special, colorful touch was the roving docent. She gave us extensive information on how the Suida-Manning collection came to Texas. In addition, she told us the history and/or significance of two of the paintings. Also of interest is the exhibit of the restoration of old paintings. Our visit was definitely worth the time we spent there. We visited on Thursday; therefore, admission was free. We parked in the adjacent garage and the fee was minimal.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I went here on a recent visit to Austin. No, it is not the largest art museum in the world or the most comprehensive, but for a small university museum, I rather enjoyed it. Nice traveling exhibit on the first floor (Waltercio Caldas), which was stimulating. Permanent exhibits were well presented and provided many interesting pieces. Their exhibit on restoration made you realize that while small, this is not a museum with a small mind set. I went on a Saturday afternoon and found it to be quiet and uncrowded. Nice way to spend a couple hours.

1  Thank BLDTraveler
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Always something interesting to see at the Blanton. Nice way to spend an afternoon in Austin. Calm, peaceful, sublime entertainment.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Blanton is not exactly big, but they had some nice stuff. Parking is easy in the adjacent garage and admission was reasonable. The whole collection fits on the second floor. There are several sections spanning many types of art, including a sprinkling of Greek & Roman sculpture (no originals), Renaissance paintings, contemporary artwork, and cubism. Unfortunately, they didn't have much from "the masters." No Raphael, Titian, Botticelli, Giotto, DG Rosetti, Dalí, or Picasso (one tiny little sketch doesn't count). We stopped to read most of the plaques and were done in 90 minutes or so.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I've been to museums over the world but as a local or a traveler I can't figure this place out. It generally has lesser known artists....it almost has to, with so many world class galleries over the world, but even when it has a gem, it doesn't, to my mind, know quite what to do with them.
Now I admit to only one visit, but it was enough. In a obscure corner way up high, touching the ceiling.....a Remington.....on a large (about five feet square) a painted plywood display base with something I know not what, nor by who (ok, whom). Ignoring said piece, I casually placed my hand on the base....to be immediately and rudely chastised by a 20ish docent......my god, where do they get these all knowing barely post teen agers with their art 101 knowledge. Sorry, I digress. It's probably worth your time if you're an art buff or know of a particular piece you wish to see. To me it's another version of the University of Texas megalomaniacal penchant for building large structures with questionable value and or average contents. If you like the Musée d'Orsay, or some such, this is but a bump in the road.