“Splendid visit; quite overpriced for area”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Saint Cecilia
Ranked #69 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Los Angeles, California
“Splendid visit; quite overpriced for area”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had fun here on both occasions, staying once with my mother and another time alone. We splurged for the suite with the piano and an oversized modern rocking-concept chair on the first trip. The second time I stayed in the same building, upstairs and I liked it even more (though it cost less) and it had a fabulous claw-footed tub...I don't usually take baths, but there was no way I was missing out on that sucker! While I thought it was quite overpriced for that area of Austin, especially for September when it's 105 degrees, it was clean and hip and I'd probably stay there a third time.

Room Tip: I'm guessing all the rooms are as nice as the two I stayed in; both very different, but super ni...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AshWolf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hotel Saint Cecilia for a good friend's wedding in Austin. The hotel is super chic and fun and just has a really laid back vibe to it. The rooms are huge - we stayed in a poolside bungalow and it had an outdoor sitting area, a living-room style sitting area and small table separate from the bedroom. The bathroom was also really spacious and everything was super clean. Apparently not all of the rooms are the same, so if you must have a bath tub or don't want an outdoor shower - make sure you request this when making your reservation or just ask what your room setup will be. We were in Room # 10 and it was great - I'd highly recommend it. The breakfast menu looks really limited but everything is delicious and the hotel's attention to detail is great, from their glasses to their coffee cups - everything is a little bit more chic than if you were staying in a larger chain hotel. Loved the Hotel Saint Cecilia and hope to go to back to visit again soon!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hally S
Miami
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This property is the perfect stay when in Austin. The grounds are beautiful and include a relaxing pool area, dining nooks, lovely lighting and fun music. Speaking of music when checking in take advantage of the record album library. Each room has a phonograph so you can lay back and enjoy some retro tunes. The bar serves up interesting drinks and snacks. We were in room 8 and enjoyed a good view of Austin and a private balcony. The check in with Eric was fast and friendly. I wish we had been able to stay longer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LOL305
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Hotel Saint Cecilia is one of the most gorgeous hotels I have stayed...I love the beautiful sprawling property with the beautiful bungalows - we had one opposite the swimming pool. Another good reason to go to Austin. Before this, I always tried to stay at the San Jose and now it will always be a toss up. The decor is gorgeous and the service impeccable. Liz Lambert's hotels spoil you in how classy they are and make you never want to stay in a mainstream hotel again! I wish more hoteliers were this creative in how they design spaces - would make me want to travel more.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I spent the weekend enjoying the comfort of Saint Cecilia.

Only a block off Austun's South Congress, this hotel sets the standard for all in the city.

Our breakfast serves on our private balcony over looking the Austin skyline was spectacular.

The atmosphere and service around the pool made for a relaxing Saturday afternoon.

The hotel is a bit pricy however is a special place for special occasions.

• Stayed July 2012
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I wish that I could stay here all the time, actually I think I wish that I lived here.

The grounds were fabulous and I regret not having more time to spend there. We checked in around three, took a walk around, got a drink while waiting for the cab to take us out.

I got the ginger mojito and it was pretty good, but oppressively expensive. I mean, come on, for the price of the rooms I think you can calm down a little with the drink prices. But hey, traveling is sort of a willful suspension of reality, right??

Our room, room 3 was kind of dark unless you opened the curtains, and if you did that your neighbors could see in the room as they walked to theirs. The bed was aaaawesome and we both slept great.

There wasn't an iron, which I didn't realize and would have liked, I also didn't find the blowdryer until it was too late - kept in the closet by the bed in case you're looking for it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sara O
Mexico Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I also thought about titling this review The Million Dollar Motel. I'm always skeptical of hotels costing this much money, as very few things can live up to this price range. I've stayed in several hotels recently for many reasons within many budgets. This hotel ranks among the middle of the pack, though it was the most expensive. The stay was shortly after a trip to The Waldorf in Boca Raton, and my experience here was far less pleasurable. The grounds are phenomenal - that ranked among the best I've seen within a city. The location is perfect, too. The problem was rude service, a lack of amenities, and a serious lack of cleanliness. Half of the staff was very helpful, but those who were rude were extremely uppity and lacking basic communications skills. The amenities did not include anything more than soap, shampoo and conditioner, body wash, and lotion. For $300-500 a night I'd at least like an iron in lieu of the tacky attempt to up-sell everyone on ridiculous "designer" toiletries. As for the cleanliness and the title of this review, the furniture that was supposed to be chic was just old and/or worn. Not worn in a charming way, but stuffing-coming-out-of-the-couch worn. The shower had the same ball of hair in it during our entire trip, though they did remove the dead roach quickly. The shabby rug in our bathroom did little to cover the moldy grout lines, too. Overall, the hotel isn't nearly as bad as I make it sound, but for the price I would expect so much more. I would not spend the money again, nor would I suggest anyone else take the risk.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple