“Like staying at a rich relative's house without actually having to see them.”

Kimber Modern Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Austin B&B and Inns
Dallas
“Like staying at a rich relative's house without actually having to see them.”
Reviewed December 7, 2009

It would be very difficult to find negative points to this pad. My wife and I wanted a weekend getaway and we were very happy. You are totally on your own here and can come and go as you please without any difficulties at all. Kimber was extremely clean and had top notch amenities and necessities. Kimber Modern's overall architecture and interior design is simple yet impactful. The walk-in shower is something to fall in love with. Simply stated you know you're staying at a place the owner wants you to feel you're being well taken care of.
For my wife and I, the location was one of the best parts of the trip. You're just a short walking distance from all the food, shopping, entertaining, and people watching you could want. At Kimber, you're arguably in the best and most entertaining part of Austin. I only hope this place doesn't get so popular and busy that I'm never able to book a room again. That would really hurt my wife!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
rome
Reviewed December 6, 2009

A beautiful, modern, hip, butique hotel. Ones of the most exclusive and at the time cosy hotels I've ever seen. An experience you have to do ones in your time.
Unique design and atmosphere, super comfortable beds, very quiet and relaxing.
The stuff and the owners are very friendly. You could feel you were at home.
The location is perfect. South Congress is one of the hippiest streets in Austin.
We couldn't have expected any better.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
knoxville, tn
Reviewed November 23, 2009

Wonderfully appointed accommodations with everything you could possibly need, and nothing you don't. Hidden off of a side street within walking distance to some of Austin's hottest venues and eateries.

Well-appointed rooms with comfy beds, luxurious shower and cozy robes. Amazing lounge with make-your-own espresso machine and fresh continental breakfast.

Would be wonderful for couples. Feels like a modern bed and breakfast.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Dallas
Reviewed November 20, 2009

This is a really cool hotel!! its very modern but, yet, very comfortable. The location is incredible as it is right in the middle of great nightlife and restaurants on South Congress in Austin. There are incredible restaurants and live music right across the street from the hotel. I only stayed one night, but wish I had spent the weekend there.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 18, 2009

The Kimber Modern does, in fact, live up to its billing. I give it three stars for value only because . . . well, it really is hard for me to rationalize $300 for any hotel room. But if cost were the deciding factor we'd choose to stay at random, budget hotel chains. Instead, we prefer the unique experiences of boutique establishments. The Kimber is unique.

My wife and I spent two nights in one of the standard rooms that overlooks the street. The space is calm and serene. That goes for the room, the courtyard and the common room. Every tiny detail of the Kimber is a well-planned piece of the overall modern aesthetic. Very impressive. In fact, this is a modern building - not just a modern-looking building. From top to bottom. And in this case, the modern aesthetic did not take a back seat to comfort. The bed is very comfortable - and that's a big factor for us. The courtyard and the common room were great spaces to relax with a glass of wine in the evening, and start the day with coffee in the morning. We were blessed with perfect weather, too.

The only minor drawback is that, because the room faced the street, we were subject to some noise from the backyard of the bar across the street. But that quickly ended at 10:00 p.m. (We had a long day and retired early on Saturday.) There must be a noise ordinance. There was no street noise. No traffic noise. All in all, the room really was quiet. The location itself is a tiny street just off the main drag. Great base for walking up and down South Congress. And what's amazing is that unless you know where the Kimber is located you would be hard pressed to find it. Your car is parked right outside, too, so it's easy to get in and out for longer trips.

I could go on and on, but there are plenty of other reviews from which to choose. I know why they are all so positive. The Kimber Modern really is what it says it is. And rest assured that the photos on their website are accurate. They are not tricked up at all.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston TX 77030
Reviewed November 15, 2009

My husband just returned from a phenomenal stay this weekend at the Kimber Modern. We wanted a hip/quiet place to stay for our 10th Anniversary and his birthday. We always stay at boutique hotels when we can. This one surpassed any we have ever stayed at! The location couldn't be any better...it's tucked away right behind The Continental Club, Amy's and Zen. The breakfast and HH each day are more than fabulous! Our room was beyond perfect in every way from the abundance of Malin+Goetz products, artwork, linens, layout, size, design, etc. The "common" area was far from common! We felt like we were staying in a piece of art that catered to our every whim! Did I mention you can get a capaccino or latte 24/7 in their glammed out kitchen? Oh, and the hammocks, mulit-leveled decking, landscaping...the list goes on and on! My husband made the comment that if we ever decide to build, we would model our home after the Kimber Modern. I can't say enough wonderful things about this place...if you get a chance to stay there...you'll know what I'm talking about!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed November 13, 2009

I very much enjoyed my 2nd stay at the Kimber Modern. First visit was for pleasure and second business. I very much appreciate the yummy, healthy breakfast, the great hair care products in the shower, the VERY clean property, the lovely common areas and the complementary beverages at the end of the day!

The only little negatives were related to the computer (they have a mac for public use), but the friendly folks at the hotel were able to help me get my document printed so it wasn't at all an issue. I think I just have a PC bias!

The rooms are a little small, especially if you are sharing, but because the common area is so open and inviting, you don't feel confined to your room and so it's only a little issue.

Everyone at the Kimber Modern is open, welcoming, helpful, warm and friendly. What more can you ask for, really?

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business