“Good location, quiet room”

AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center
Ranked #22 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Lubbock, TX
“Good location, quiet room”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Pros:
1. The room was very nice and spacious.

2. We were in a corner parlor room on the 3rd floor facing the street, but had no issues with street noise at all. No hallway noise at all.

3. Internet worked well

4. AC worked well, which is very important in Austin in June/July.

5. Offered covered parking for a price, which was cheaper than the valet.

6. Walking distance to UT and the Capitol.

7. Good view of the Capitol from our window.

Cons:
1. Every morning between 8 and 9 something started making noise by the door, which is a problem if you're trying to sleep in or just trying to have a conversation. It seemed to be coming from the metal panel in the ceiling, some sort of motorized noise.

2. There are two sliding doors to the bathrooms and neither would stay closed. That may not be an issue if you are staying there alone, but as a married couple we still like to keep some things private when we use the restroom.

3. It was hard to adjust the temperature of the shower faucet without decreasing the pressue too much.

4. The battery in the remote was dead, tv couldn't get a signal for awhile, but luckily my husband fixed it. The tv did seem like it was about to fall off the wall.

Room Tip: I think any room would be quiet enough no matter what location. A room facing the Capitol provides a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed for a week and found the hotel to be average.

Pros:
Located right on UT campus
Huge number of cable channels and great high speed internet
hotel is attractive
Parking garage under hotel is easy to use

Cons:
pillows not very good
shower not very strong
Conciege not available. Was told he would not be in until noon. Called after 12PM and told he had called in sick. No one else was available.
charged me $50 deposit to put an extension cord in my room which wouldn't have been necessary if room was properly setup. No hotel ever charged this before in my experience

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Right in the heart of Austin, this hotel has easy access to all the hot spots and is easy to get to from I-35. The bar is nice for drinks at night before hitting the town for dinner. All of the staff was very nice. I lost a watch when I left the hotel. The found it two days later after checking out and mailed it back to me! I was very pleased and would definitely stay here again.

Rooms very clean and well-kept.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The short version:
Hotel was awesome- ALMOST an Excellent rating, HOWEVER a few employees knocked it down to a "very good" rating.

The super long version:
We were up in arms and stressed out in trying to find a nice but affordable hotel (last minute) for a wedding. We chose this one despite it being 20 minutes away from the wedding venue.
For the most part, we were very happy with our decision.

First impressions:
The parking garage was hot and loud... but it's a parking garage in Texas. We were a little miffed that we'd have to pay $16/day for parking. It was made a little easier that we were given a keycard to get in and out of the garage so we didn't have to deal with the ticketing machine. Husband was a bit more pissed off with having to pay for parking at all, but I figured that this is just par for the course in Austin... on campus, no less. I didn't find many options online for hotels that did not charge for parking.
The window decorations (between garage and elevators) were awesome. Historical pictures and whatnot. I'm sure if we had more time we would have done a little sightseeing. We had NO time whatsoever.
Lobby: LOVED it. Brushed copper, wood tables... rustic with modern influences. Very nicely done.
Lobby staff: super nice. The guys seemed to like their jobs (or hide it well), and were very helpful.
Elevator: Did not die. Did not think I was going to die. This is a plus. I also liked the glass etching of the clock tower. Attention to detail.
The room: Clean. Clean. Clean. The bathroom was immaculate. The shower tub was low with a cool granite ledge for ... putting stuff on... nice touch. The grout was pure snow white- you could see where they made repairs when it was necessary. The shower itself was wonderful. I already miss it. The temperature control is VERY sensitive, though. We were afraid to let our baby bathe because if you breathed on the handle the wrong way- it could have gone wrong very quickly. Luckily (!?) he is terrified of foreign bathtubs, so that was a nonissue. The pressure was awesome (and adjustable), and the shower head just had the right flow- not too hard and also did not feel like someone was peeing on you (you laugh now, but until you've had one with zero pressure...). Our home shower does not compare. Frown.
Beds: Meh. I'm a side sleeper. The pillows were quite comfortable, and there were a ton of them, HOWEVER the mattress was super firm. Husband was fine as he is a stomach/back sleeper, but I am a chronic side-sleeper and woke up (after much tossing and turning) with a sore back and hip. Not the best sleep, but I'm picky. I was also a little confused as to why there was not a fitted sheet, but a regular sheet wrapped around the mattress... is this a thing?
Thermostat... easy to use, however I did not feel like the room cooled off much at all. It *said* it did, but I slept HOT.
TV with DVR was nice. Same setup we have at home, but smaller. Was a little annoyed that we could not turn the volume down for the TV's on/off chime. Not their fault, it's the U-Verse controller. We had a sleeping baby so this made sneaking TV time a little harder.
In room perks: One water bottle for $5. Hah. Terrible coffee. Standard hotel practice.
Closet was huge. Contained an iron, safe, 2 robes, plenty of hangers. I needed the iron but had no time to use it.

Noise level: At 2 am, Saturday, a troop of drunk girls came barreling down the hall and were literally stumbling into walls. One was sobbing that she could not find her room. College town.
Other than that, noise level was minimal (we were right around the corner from the elevator, too).

View: Meh. We had a clock tower view. It was a nice clock tower- but we also got a view of a parking lot. I would have preferred a more lively view.

Dining options: I myself did not eat here. Room service was WAY overpriced. Husband took our son to the breakfast buffet at The Carillon. He was less than pleased. Food was sub-par and the waitress didn't give two s**ts as to whether or not they needed anything. There were 5 tables in total.

Overall we were very pleased with our stay, however the ONE thing that kinda killed my infatuation with the place was as we were leaving. We were trying to juggle 2 large suitcases, a cooler, camera bag, diaper bag, purse, another bag, and a squirming toddler- 3 employees (literally standing between us and the doors to the garage) just looked at us, and walked away.
Not so much as an inkling to open a door for us. That's just common courtesy whether they were employed by the hotel or not. I assume they were as they were standing behind a desk in suits.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New Hampshire USA
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have stayed here twice for conferences. It is a very good hotel, with comfortable beds, great bathrooms, good service and an overall sense of well-being and quiet (except perhaps during UT football weekends!). The location is perfect, just a block away from two very good museums, a short walk to the State house (take a tour, if you haven't been there), to the stadium and nearby to several good restaurants. I ate in their on-site "pub"-type restaurant twice. The food was OK but similar to hotel dining places at other large hotel chains--nothing special but nothing bad. However, I ate breakfast on their terrace, under a shady portico which provided some welcome cool breezes. I got my breakfast food at their coffee/breakfast bar and took it to the terrace. Very nice. The overall presentation of the hotel is quite nice. They provided good service and good meals (for conference foods) during my conference, as well, which indicates to me that they have their act together. It is located several blocks (can be a hot walk in the summer Austin heat) from busy and stylish streets that are famous in Austin. I stayed here during the summer when campus life has slowed down and there are fewer people around. I would certainly consider staying here even when not involved with a conference.

Room Tip: Ask for a tower room (probably a bit more expensive). They overlook the Texas Tower, which is a lan...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Excellent customer service. I loved that the hotel offered both valet parking and self parking. The self parking was $16 per day and was charged to the room. Our room on the 7th floor had a campus view that I really enjoyed. There were windows on two sides of our room with floor to ceiling curtains for added privacy. The workout room on property was excellent. My fiance & I thoroughly enjoyed the ability to record shows to watch at a later time since the property offers AT&T Uverse. Very clean room, comfortable bed and the bathroom is perfect for two to share. The only "negative" is the distance the hotel is from the popular areas of Downtown. However, I do not think that should impact your decision to stay at this property. Just be aware you will need to drive most places.

Room Tip: 7th Floor - Campus View excellent and very quiet. We never heard our neighbors.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Pleasant enough stay, nothing bad. It probably serves the corporate crowd very well but for a family stay, we felt it lacked atmosphere. The decor is somewhat bland. Good location though and reasonable value.

• Stayed May 2013