AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center
Ranked #25 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The short version:
Hotel was awesome- ALMOST an Excellent rating, HOWEVER a few employees knocked it down to a "very good" rating.

The super long version:
We were up in arms and stressed out in trying to find a nice but affordable hotel (last minute) for a wedding. We chose this one despite it being 20 minutes away from the wedding venue.
For the most part, we were very happy with our decision.

First impressions:
The parking garage was hot and loud... but it's a parking garage in Texas. We were a little miffed that we'd have to pay $16/day for parking. It was made a little easier that we were given a keycard to get in and out of the garage so we didn't have to deal with the ticketing machine. Husband was a bit more pissed off with having to pay for parking at all, but I figured that this is just par for the course in Austin... on campus, no less. I didn't find many options online for hotels that did not charge for parking.
The window decorations (between garage and elevators) were awesome. Historical pictures and whatnot. I'm sure if we had more time we would have done a little sightseeing. We had NO time whatsoever.
Lobby: LOVED it. Brushed copper, wood tables... rustic with modern influences. Very nicely done.
Lobby staff: super nice. The guys seemed to like their jobs (or hide it well), and were very helpful.
Elevator: Did not die. Did not think I was going to die. This is a plus. I also liked the glass etching of the clock tower. Attention to detail.
The room: Clean. Clean. Clean. The bathroom was immaculate. The shower tub was low with a cool granite ledge for ... putting stuff on... nice touch. The grout was pure snow white- you could see where they made repairs when it was necessary. The shower itself was wonderful. I already miss it. The temperature control is VERY sensitive, though. We were afraid to let our baby bathe because if you breathed on the handle the wrong way- it could have gone wrong very quickly. Luckily (!?) he is terrified of foreign bathtubs, so that was a nonissue. The pressure was awesome (and adjustable), and the shower head just had the right flow- not too hard and also did not feel like someone was peeing on you (you laugh now, but until you've had one with zero pressure...). Our home shower does not compare. Frown.
Beds: Meh. I'm a side sleeper. The pillows were quite comfortable, and there were a ton of them, HOWEVER the mattress was super firm. Husband was fine as he is a stomach/back sleeper, but I am a chronic side-sleeper and woke up (after much tossing and turning) with a sore back and hip. Not the best sleep, but I'm picky. I was also a little confused as to why there was not a fitted sheet, but a regular sheet wrapped around the mattress... is this a thing?
Thermostat... easy to use, however I did not feel like the room cooled off much at all. It *said* it did, but I slept HOT.
TV with DVR was nice. Same setup we have at home, but smaller. Was a little annoyed that we could not turn the volume down for the TV's on/off chime. Not their fault, it's the U-Verse controller. We had a sleeping baby so this made sneaking TV time a little harder.
In room perks: One water bottle for $5. Hah. Terrible coffee. Standard hotel practice.
Closet was huge. Contained an iron, safe, 2 robes, plenty of hangers. I needed the iron but had no time to use it.

Noise level: At 2 am, Saturday, a troop of drunk girls came barreling down the hall and were literally stumbling into walls. One was sobbing that she could not find her room. College town.
Other than that, noise level was minimal (we were right around the corner from the elevator, too).

View: Meh. We had a clock tower view. It was a nice clock tower- but we also got a view of a parking lot. I would have preferred a more lively view.

Dining options: I myself did not eat here. Room service was WAY overpriced. Husband took our son to the breakfast buffet at The Carillon. He was less than pleased. Food was sub-par and the waitress didn't give two s**ts as to whether or not they needed anything. There were 5 tables in total.

Overall we were very pleased with our stay, however the ONE thing that kinda killed my infatuation with the place was as we were leaving. We were trying to juggle 2 large suitcases, a cooler, camera bag, diaper bag, purse, another bag, and a squirming toddler- 3 employees (literally standing between us and the doors to the garage) just looked at us, and walked away.
Not so much as an inkling to open a door for us. That's just common courtesy whether they were employed by the hotel or not. I assume they were as they were standing behind a desk in suits.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have stayed here twice for conferences. It is a very good hotel, with comfortable beds, great bathrooms, good service and an overall sense of well-being and quiet (except perhaps during UT football weekends!). The location is perfect, just a block away from two very good museums, a short walk to the State house (take a tour, if you haven't been there), to the stadium and nearby to several good restaurants. I ate in their on-site "pub"-type restaurant twice. The food was OK but similar to hotel dining places at other large hotel chains--nothing special but nothing bad. However, I ate breakfast on their terrace, under a shady portico which provided some welcome cool breezes. I got my breakfast food at their coffee/breakfast bar and took it to the terrace. Very nice. The overall presentation of the hotel is quite nice. They provided good service and good meals (for conference foods) during my conference, as well, which indicates to me that they have their act together. It is located several blocks (can be a hot walk in the summer Austin heat) from busy and stylish streets that are famous in Austin. I stayed here during the summer when campus life has slowed down and there are fewer people around. I would certainly consider staying here even when not involved with a conference.

Room Tip: Ask for a tower room (probably a bit more expensive). They overlook the Texas Tower, which is a lan...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Excellent customer service. I loved that the hotel offered both valet parking and self parking. The self parking was $16 per day and was charged to the room. Our room on the 7th floor had a campus view that I really enjoyed. There were windows on two sides of our room with floor to ceiling curtains for added privacy. The workout room on property was excellent. My fiance & I thoroughly enjoyed the ability to record shows to watch at a later time since the property offers AT&T Uverse. Very clean room, comfortable bed and the bathroom is perfect for two to share. The only "negative" is the distance the hotel is from the popular areas of Downtown. However, I do not think that should impact your decision to stay at this property. Just be aware you will need to drive most places.

Room Tip: 7th Floor - Campus View excellent and very quiet. We never heard our neighbors.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Pleasant enough stay, nothing bad. It probably serves the corporate crowd very well but for a family stay, we felt it lacked atmosphere. The decor is somewhat bland. Good location though and reasonable value.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 24, 2013

As a university representative, I have stayed in a number of university-owned and managed hotels, and this is by far one of the nicest I have ever stayed at. Great customer service, excellent accommodations and amenities, wonderful conference center, and a fantastic location both to downtown Austin and especially the UT-Austin campus. It felt much more like a boutique hotel than a big-name chain. Nice perks included free internet. The breakfast buffet in the morning was expansive and the food was great. I enjoyed both restaurants in the hotel, and had some wonderful meals. I will definitely be staying here on my next trip to visit UT-Austin!

Room Tip: My first room had a buzzing noise from the cable box. I asked to switch rooms and was immediately ac...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This wins the award for worst hotel name ever. Can you get any more corporate? Yet I was surprised at how much I liked it.

Conference-oriented hotels are often bland,faceless places with no character. But everywhere you look in this hotel are signs of local personality. The halls and rooms are full of tasteful Texana. Some furniture has a UT theme -- appripriate given its spot inside the UT campus, And it is appropriate that conference rooms are cheekily labeled "classrooms." And the do-not-disturb signs say, "Quiet, I'm styding."

The hotel's architecture is contemporary, incorporating local limestone colors. It is bright and pleasant. The conference facility is convenient and attractive. Even it looks a bit like Texas.

The service was friendly and efficient. Beds were comfortable. But you expect that at any decent conference hotel.

If you are coming from out-of-state to fully experience Texas, I would stay at a smaller property, such as a B&B or old hotel. There are some nice ones nearby. But for what this is -- a modern conference hotel on a University campus -- it has far more character than I expected.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I had a chance to stay in this hotel for 4 nights and the experience was just wonderful specially with the tight schedule and jet lag. Had a tower view room to myself and the service was very good .Enjoyed healthy breakfasts. The staff was very professional and friendly. I would recommend it for business and pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for a tower view room they are quieter I guess
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business