“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Wayne, United States
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Very attractive and comfortable hotel. Staff was great! Lots of great places to eat nearby and supermarket just on the other side of the highway. Takes 10 to 20 minutes to get into downtown depending on traffic. It is next to a highway so the rooms on that side see the traffic and can hear the hum of the highway but we were fine with it because it was so nice. Its a newer hotel with a mini fridge, microwave and granite in the bathroom. Nicely decorated with tasteful furniture and pictures. Rooms were spacious with a nice desk and chair with ottoman. Public spaces were very nice with a bar and restaurant area next to a high ceilinged entry which was spacious and bright. Would stay there again. Wish the hotels downtown were this price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Dallas
Reviewed May 29, 2013

From beginning to end, we enjoyed this "Inn". The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, smiling and commenting to us every time that we passed the front desk. When we needed directions to UT, they came up with a campus map, downtown Austin map, and general map of the area. They do not necessarily have a firsthand knowledge of the UT campus, tho, so do not depend on them for that.

Food and Hospitality was outstanding. There was lemon and orange water dispensers in the lobby, and even chocolate chip cookies one night, available. the person behind the counter even wrapped them up for us, asking how many we'd like, as if it was fine if we wanted more than the one apiece we'd expect. We had a coupon to eat the breakfast eacj morning, and it was delicious. They call it being the CEO of the CTO. (Cook To Order). We ordered Belgian Waffles , omelets, bacon, and sausage. There were also cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, toppings for yogurt, fresh juices of 3 or 4 kinds, and the coffee, hot tea and cocoa, available all day and through the evening, from what I could tell, There were also varied danishes, English muffins, bagels, blueberry and banana nut muffins and breads for toasting. The bluebery muffins were some of the best I have EVER eaten. The omelets and waffles were enjoyed by all of our table. The server who waited on us in the lobby dining area was extremely attentive the first morning, and not quite as attentive the 2nd: odd because it was the same person both times. It was a barely adequate job only the 2nd morning.

There is an outdoor pool and a jacuzzi there, the jacuzzi having nice strong jets. The pool was cold for us adults, but I did see others with little kids enjoying it. Very fluffy and some over-sized towels to wear back to the room. The workout room had 3 treadmill-type machines, one having steps with handles to work your arms, also: very good workout! Machines seemed new or almost new: huge!

The room was very nice. We were able to get internet, but did printing in the business office. Everything was working, except for a problem with water pressure a few times with both the sink and the shower, When it happened with the shower, we called, as one of us was in the shower, and it was corrected within a minute or two, truthfully! There were all the amenities one would expect in the bathroom, except no body wash and only one soap (excellent Bath and Body Works soap products, tho), and the room had even more: a fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, alarm clock, etc. We had brought a small cooler, so we just moved what we had into the fridge for late night snacks and morning milk or oj before going down to breakfast, and then moved it back to the cooler upon leaving. The beds were very comfortable to me...not as comfortable to my hubby. They had a "wooly" topper over the mattress, making them very cushy, I thought. The view was unremarkable, but we were gone most of the day, anyway, so that was not important to us. Easy to find parking nearly. Very nice place to stay and would stay there again in a minute.

The room was very nice, with a good shower head,

My husband used the business office downstairs to print off some Groupons that we had accidentally left at home.

The walls were slightly thin,so that we heard people around us when they were showering or in the hall, but there was no late night noise to speak of.

We used HiltonHonors points to stay (30,000 per night), and it did require a lot to stay there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Rooms were very clean and decorated with excellent modern taste. The rooms were quiet and bed was very comfortable. The thing that stood out the most was the service level of a 5+ start hotel. Every single employee I encountered from Front Desk to maintenance was friendly and genuinely happy which also tells me that the company takes good care of their staff. This is important to me as a guest. I was mandated to stay at this hotel chain due to a corporate mandate - however I would choose to stay there even it this was not the case.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is one of the best hotel stays I've ever experienced. The amenities were all I could ask for and the bed was outstanding and the staff extremely helpful and friendly. It would be my first choice anytime I'm in Austin.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

When you first pull into this hotel you think to yourself "well this looks like a fantastic place to stay!" But you couldn't be further from the truth. First of all the rooms aren't even that fantastic. And those beds, goodness, SUCK! It's like sleeping on a freaking rock, I mean what the heck?! And upon my departure I found out you can "control" the firmness of the bed, but those instructions were hidden in this tiny piece of plastic with words so small I need a freaking magnifying glass to read. Who wants to read fine print while on vacation? Would they wanna do it while lounging by your swimming pool, which by the way, is as big as the bathtub. And if your going to charge THIRTEEN dollars for a breakfast you better have the dang pope pouring my coffee, because the breakfast was terrible. Typically "continental" breakfasts are included in the overpriced bill for the room. And would it be too hard to hire a cashier who can count past five? Or maybe have eggs that don't have the consistency of diarrhea? Or sausage that tastes like fingernail polish removed? No? Well then maybe you should just go ahead and make your hotel a cemetery because this place is where happiness goes to die.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Smithdj2014
Property11, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin North, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to express your dissatisfaction, and I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations, nor our standards. The challenges you experienced are of the type that I would have preferred to address personally with you while you were still our guest, so that we could have made it right for you. I encourage you to contact me personally, as I would be interested in discussing the situation further with you. We are constantly working to improve our service standards, which is something I discuss with the staff daily. I look forward to hearing from you.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed overnight for work. Nice clean hotel, comfortable room with "sleep number bed". Room was quiet. Staff was friendly and helpful. Had the breakfast in the morning which was good ($12). If you need to stay in this area I would recommend this hotel.

Huntsville, United States
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great service, clean rooms, easily accessible (right off 35 close to Plugerville, Round Rock and 290-183 interchange). I've stayed in most of the Hilton family brand properties in North Austin and Round Rock, including all the Hilton Garden Inns in the North Austin area. This one is the best. Not bad value for the price. Pet-free if you have allergies, too! Pretty rare find anywhere nowadays....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo