“Sketchy neighborhood”

GreenLeadersBronze level
The Woodlands, Texas
“Sketchy neighborhood”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I had stayed at this hotel about 4 years ago and it is a typical, consistent HGI. No complaints there. I stayed one night and to my surprise, my truck the window smashed out and everything taken. OK, so I realize that could happen anywhere.

Fast forward to this week, I had a reservation at this hotel again. As I pull into the parking lot, to my surprise, a glass company van is in the parking lot making window repair to a truck. I approached the guy and asked if the truck had been broken into and he said yes - it was one of two.

I walked in and cancelled my reservation and went down the road to another hotel. The management of this hotel has a problem on their hands and I believe they need to hire some security.

3 Thank Matt B
Property11, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin North, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. You can imagine our surprise when we walked the property the morning of your arrival and found that two vehicles had been broken into. It is not a common occurrence for a break in to take place. I can assure you that we have management walk and drive the property several times a day to ensure standards and safety are met. We were proactive by contacting the glass company and arranging for repairs while our guest were able to conduct their business with minimal delays.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Sharan, Paktika, Afghanistan
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Room were great, the staff was exceptional and the breakfast was remarkable and cooked to order. The WIFI was quick and fast and delivery options from other restaurants was great they new the place without a problem. The cookies down stairs are cooked to order and free and its a great greeting when coming from a long flight! Love this place!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Property11, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin North, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
...and we love having you!! Thank you for the review! I am glad that my team was able to provide exceptional service and that you were able to take advantage of our Complimentary WIFI as well as our Cooked to Order Breakfast. We will be sure to have fresh cookies for your next visit as well!

Glenview, Illinois, United States
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just completed a business trip to Austin and staying at this HGI. Clean quiet rooms, attentive staff, good breakfast, business center. Just what I expect when I choose to stay at HGI. If you stay there, it is a bit hard to find due to location on Frontage Road.

Room Tip: Although it fronts I35, I didn't hear the interstate at all. Might want to request a room not f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your comments! It is good to know that we are able to provide the quality you come to expect from Hilton Garden Inn. We hope that you will stay again and give us an opportunity to exceed your expectations. Thank you again for your review. We enjoyed having you and look forward to your next visit!

Bridge City, Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband & I stayed in town this past weekend for Tough Mudder. The hotel was very clean & well kept. The receptionist, however, was probably the best part of our stay. She was extremely friendly & accommodating. We asked for dinner suggestions both nights & she gave us excellent choices. My only complaint would be that she give customers a heads up on the price - because one of the restaurants she sent us to was somewhat expensive. But, the food was fantastic & the atmosphere was perfect so ultimately, we were thankful for the suggestion. Great stay & we'll definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments! The weekend of the Tough Mudder was definitely a fun one and I am very glad that you were able to take advantage of some of Austin's best restaurants while you were in town. You are correct, we should consider prices when offering recommendations in the future. We are always looking for ways to improve and thank you for the advise! We enjoyed having you and look forward to your next visit!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed at the HGI on the recommendation of a colleague. Also, it is one of my company's approved hotels for travel. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Pros:
1. Very courteous staff. They called me by name on the second day. Always greeted me when I arrived, and were very accommodating;
2. The hotel offers a 'breakfast made to order'...essentially, you can order whatever you like for a hot breakfast. I always had egg white omelets and they were consistently very good. They also have a variety of juices, yogurts and wonderful FRESH FRUIT (pineapple, water melon, cantaloupe, etc.);
3. They have fresh baked cookies, coffee and fresh fruit in the afternoons;
4. The room service staff was very efficient and polite;
5. LOCATION - if you have a 24 Hour Fitness membership, they have one literally next door and it is hardly busy, EVEN DURING PEAK HOURS. Additionally, the staff there are exceptionally friendly. I recommend JT for a personal training session. He is awesome! Also, across the freeway, you have a variety of restaurants as well as grocery stores.

Cons:
1. The "pool" is extremely small and located right next to the entry. So, you really are on display. Additionally, it didn't appear to be very clean;
2. The maid consistently forgot to leave hand/bath soap, so I was constantly having to ask for soap;
3. The last couple of days, I noticed ants in the bathroom. It wasn't like an infestation, but it was bothersome;
4. I was on the non-freeway side of the hotel, but still could hear considerable noise;
5. The hall light comes in under the door, so I placed a towel there each night.

I am returning for work this upcoming week and planning on staying there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the non-freeway side are much quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Property11, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin North, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for your comments! I am glad that our team was able to provide an experience to remember. It is also good to know that you were able to take advantage of our Cooked To Order breakfast as well as our convenient location, directly next to 24 Hour Fitness. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed in our pool. I have shared your comments with our Maintenance team to ensure the pool always looks it's best. I have also followed up with our Housekeeping department about amenities left during routine cleaning. We are always looking for ways to improve and definitely appreciate first hand information from our guests. Thank you again for sharing your comments. We look forward to your next visit!

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed here the night before checking into the W Hotel downtown. The bartender (and hotel overall) beat the W by leaps and bounds. The bartender gave us excellent service and he even stayed open later on a Friday night to bring us beer while we relaxed in the hot tub. As a treat for the Bachelorette party we were celebrating he brought us complimentary shots. This is NOT what we expected from a basic hotel on the Interstate. Also, the breakfast was the best we had all weekend. I ordered 2 eggs over hard and it came with steamed fresh asparagus with cherry tomato garnish. Who would have thought?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the great review! We strive to ensure that every guest has a great, unique experience here at the Hilton garden Inn. It is wonderful to know that our team was able to provide that for you. We hope to have another opportunity to shine the next time you visit Austin. Thank you again for the feedback. It was a pleasure having you.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wasn't have any problem after we deal the price with the receptionist guy. He lets us sign the receipt which from day 1 to day 3 for 189.00. but when we check our bank online in the next morning, they charged us almost 500.00
Came down for a question and receive a very rude attitude from both the staffs and the Manager. they told us there's must be a misunderstanding and blablabla whatever excuses.. Even the staffs were lie and the manager dont even know how to talk right. wow.. we just sign what it listed. but they charge us double. After all, we check out with the rate of 189.00 per day. Lucky we checked our online bank and didn't stay there the whole time as planed. TERRIBLE..!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wistley
Property11, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin North, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write yur review, I am sorry for the misunderstanding, normally when our staff quotes a rate that rate is a nightly rate. Please contact me here at the property if you would like to discuss the matter further. Jeff Nelson 512-339-3626