“Modern hotel with a great staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of aloft Austin at the Domain

aloft Austin at the Domain
Ranked #70 of 198 Hotels in Austin
Los Angeles, California
“Modern hotel with a great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed here for a few weeks on business. The hotel is very modern, the staff is very friendly, the location was great (for me), it's close to a high end mall and it had all the amenities a hotel should have (internet, bar, snakes, etc.).

The rooms were a bit small but very clean and modern. This is aLoft so you will not have certain services their larger hotel brands have like valet parking, bell service, etc.

Overall I was really happy with my stay.

Chris

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at aloft Austin at the Domain, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear ChrisChris79,
Thanks for sharing your positive feedback about your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you appreciated our modern style but also felt comfortable at our hotel. It's also great to hear you found our location to be extremely convenient to the Austin area. We hope to see you back in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I think I've decided that I'm more of a tranditionalist when it comes to hotels. I like plushy and elegant and less modern. That being said, aloft was a decent hotel, a great location, and the staff was extremely friendly. My only complaint is the lack of signage. I had to ask where to find ice, which was two floors down. When I got to the floor, no signs to point me in the right direction. Same when we tried to find the clothes dryer to dry our beach towels. Luckily I speak Spanish, so no problem with talking to the cleaning staff that pointed me in the right direction when I looked lost, walking around. Gym is well equipped and new. Entire pool is only 3 ft. deep? But it's not really for kids, more like so drinking adults don't drown. Sunday mimosas at the Park, which is a restaurant/bar right by aloft is a rowdy all day party. Hallways are a little noisy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at aloft Austin at the Domain, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear TouristaDeTejas,
Thanks for sharing your feedback on our hotel and for being a loyal SPG member. We value your feedback greatly and are pleased to hear you enjoyed your first stay at Aloft and found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We hope you will consider staying with us again o your next visit to Austin.
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is the second time to stay at the aLoft. I stayed there once with the first opened and again last week. The hotel is a bit quirkily and definitely modern. Those wishing for a traditional hotel experience, such as room service, bell service, valet parking, etc. should not stay here. However, if you’re looking for a nice, quiet room in a hotel with courteous and professional staff in an excellent location, the aLoft is for you. The location is in the Domain area of Austin, a relatively newish upscale development with several nice restaurants and shops. While the restaurants are not of the same caliber you’d find downtown, they are mostly independent and serve excellent food (no Chilies or Applebee’s here). The shops range from casual such as JCrew to Niemen’s. Back to the hotel, for me a quiet and comfortable room is a must, and in the regard, aLoft shines. The room was cold, blankets warm and the noise non-existent.

1 Thank MWYoung
Houston, TX USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel was next to the Domain mall which was very nice with lots of name brand shops. Hotel was easy to find off Mopac & 183 highway. Hotel was more modern chic and hip compared to others. Had pool table in lobby along with a bar. The pool was very tiny and only about 3 feet deep; so not really good to swim only for dipping. Room was decent size but lacked amenities such as a separate living area or breakfast area. This is more comparable to a full service hotel vs a suite type. The bathroom area was roomy with lot of counter space but the closet was a bit small and had no door but an actual curtain to hide your clothes. It did have a room safe and small refrigerator under the sink. The shower stall was nice size with unique feature of having a vertical strip of glass about 1 foot wide running the entire vertical length. It was frosted so no peek a boo on the other side which opened up into the bedroom area. There was no complimentary breakfast either but you can purchase snacks and other made to order to food. This would make a good hotel for singles or couples but if you have kids this would not be a good place to stay compared to a suite room. There is a mall next door which is convenient and there are also a number of nice restaurants there as well. So no need to drive as it is walking distance.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the bar attached to the hotel. It is quite noisy during the evenings and breakf...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I'm an Austinite who needed a staycation during a move. The aloft Austin at the Domain was convenient to a major freeway and all the shopping, dining, entertainment attractions of the Domain. The room was modern, clean, and very comfortable. Even though the hotel is very close (walking distance) to bars in the Domain, the in-house bar was fantastic with a very friendly bartender, great cocktails, and was perfect for watching a game. My only caution is that tourists may not realize this hotel is further away from Austin's main attractions (the Capitol, downtown area, UT Austin) than they realize. It's best to have a car if you stay here, or be prepared to pay high cab fares. Also, major construction was underway during my stay. I completely understand that the hotel could not help the timing or the noise and there was a notice in each room courteously explaining the construction and offering to move the guest if the noise became too much. However, there should be a notice on the hotel website for people making reservations that way and the noise was very very loud. It didn't disturb me because I'm an early riser but it would be jarring on the weekends. Hopefully this is a temporary problem. I would stay at this hotel (and have the martinis at the hotel bar!) again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I would first like to point out that I have been a Starwood Platinum member for the past 11 years. I have 61 hotel stays in Westin, W, Sheraton, and Aloft hotels on the calendar year already, I think that is important to note before this review as I love Starwood.

I arrived on Tuesday at 4pm and had multiple conference calls to complete. When I booked on the SPG site there was no comment of construction. After walking into my room I hear these incredible noises of drilling and rock cutting. They are using heavy duty saws, hammers, and chisels right outside my window. I decided I had to leave the room for my call and let the girl know at the desk. She stated it would be over at 5pm. Went back to my room and the noise had stopped around 5. However, the workers then began painting something right outside my window where my AC Unit sits. The smell of epoxy just began flooding the room.

I called to the Front Desk to let them know. They came to my room, the gal came in and couldn't believe the smell. They relocated me. In the new room there is a piece of paper that discussed the work being done on the exterior of the hotel.

The next morning at 7:10am the workers were outside laughing and talking loudly right in front of my new rooms windows. This just wasn't acceptable so I called the General Manager. He understood my problems and was courteous. He offered to reimburse my account with points.

Later I receive an email from another worker stating that they are sorry and he would credit my account with 66% fewer points then the GM stated. The amount of points wouldn't even cover a free night.

I went back to the SPG.com website where I book and there indeed is no mention of the maintenance. I went to their personal website and there is no mention of maintenance. I have the screen shots to prove it and sent them on to hotel.

I will never give this hotel my business again. I can understand general work being done, but this was LOUD LOUD LOUD. No mention of it when booking is unacceptable. People need to know this. I

• 3 of 5 stars
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at aloft Austin at the Domain, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear TheDMC,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about your recent stay with us. First we want to let you know we value your loyalty to Starwood as a Platinum SPG member. We also want to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced due to noise disturbances, and otherwise, during your stay. We understand your frustration and have taken the time to go on our website and update the renovation information found on our homepage so future guests are aware of the improvements we are in the process of implementing, and how this may affect their stay. I have passed your comments along to the rest of the hotel management team so they may review and take any additional next steps accordingly but if you would like to discuss this issue further, please don’t hesitate to contact the General Manager, Dana Cust, at dana.cust@aloftaustinatthedomain.com.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Excellent location at the Domain for great shopping and restaurants. Lively bar/restaurant attached to the hotel that is always rocking for sports events on TV. Good food/drink choices in the lobby. Rooms well appointed and consistent with other Alofts all over the world. Good work space with lots of outlets and good lighting. Comfortable bed except for the pillow which are rock hard in every Aloft. They need to switch to Sheraton/Westin pillows! Front desk very friendly and helpful. Easy parking next to hotel is free. Convenient to freeways.

Room Tip: high floor away from the elevator
Dear Isfcmh,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive feedback on our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found plenty of fun things to do close by. And we're also happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel amenities and features in your room - we hope to see you back on your next visit to Austin!