“Nice but bring your own pillows!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of aloft Austin at the Domain

aloft Austin at the Domain
Ranked #71 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Seattle, Washington
“Nice but bring your own pillows!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This hotel is extremely clean and located very well. The interior is tastily decorated, staff is friendly and the hotel has good amenities. The room itself is uniquely decorated. I loved the tall shower and large TV. The Domain is also a very fun place to stay in when one is traveling for business. Within walking distance is the Cru from where you can get a bottle of excellent wine to go and there are several top restaurants nearby. Of course the shopping can be a great way to spend your evening as well.

I looked at the other comments and took caution to stay away from the 2nd floor and away from elevators. I can see how the hotel could be a little loud because the hallways echo but I didn't have any problems. It was quiet. My only problem with this hotel is, believe it or not, the pillows. They are extremely high and even after one night caused me to have a neck ache. When I brought this up with the management they said and I quote "everyone complains about the pillows but when we have brought this up with Starwood, they say there is nothing wrong with the pillows and these are the pillows we use." If that is your attitude, SPG I would sincerely question it as you are supposed to be in the business of making us, consumers, comfortable for the night. If EVERYONE complains about your pillows, you DO have a problem with them! I would say anyone can sleep on an uncomfortable pillow for one night but I wouldn't stay here for a whole week of business meetings as the neck ache would eventually become a major problem for me. I would challenge your internal Pillow Subject Matter Expert to learn a bit more about human anatomy and install lower profile pillows.

Minor issue is that there are no movie channels at all but with all the other things around to do that's not really a big problem. I would suggest getting HBO or Showtime or something though!

Room Tip: Stay away from 2nd floor...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Woodmere, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This hotel is a typical Aloft but that is why I like it. you know what you are getting and they are consistent. This hotel is in the Domain area which is a real hot spot. many hotels and shopping in the area.

Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Am 2 nights away from becoming platinum this year with SPG and of all my stays here in the US and abroad including 5 star properties, didn't meet a team as friendly/helpful as the staff in the property. So professional and knowledgeable and service oriented wish some of the other properties had the same approach. Good job guys can't wait to see you all next year for the race.

Room Tip: try the breakfast counter. very cool...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

You'll know, from my other reviews, that I go to hotels for cocktails and meetings and holidays and all sorts of things but my basic priority is SLEEP! The Aloft is not quiet. It's the sort of place lots of screaming sorority girls reconvene 5 years after graduation for FUN weekends! OH HEY GIRL! SCREEEEAM! It goes like that. This would be ok if the hotel had invested in proper sound insulation and doors that were more than a millimegtre thick. As it was I had to hush people. The doors and wall are so thin I coulkd hear people's alarms going off in the morning. The staff were pleasant enough and v helpful when it came ot getting masses of boring business papers printed out. But the noise is...well, too much. A shame as the basic conept is nice and I applaud their eco efforts.

Room Tip: get a rom as far from the elevator as you can.
2 Thank scribbler1000
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is clean and had the basics for a business trip: working WiFi, firm & comfortable bed, small desk, etc. It was a bit stripped down: a tiny "closet" with a curtain in front of it, soap & conditioning shampoo in wall dispensers, and a tiny desk. But, it worked fine. Breakfast was a bit strange -- kind of self-service, then pay at the end. The first day I was not charged (could not understand why); then the second day I was. It was better than the standard free breakfast buffet. The location was great for me, right next door to the business I was visiting and a mall right across the road with shopping and restaurants. Not a vacation destination though.

Frisco, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Aloft at the Domain is fun and hip. We enjoyed our stay and will return when we are back to Austin. We had a minor problem with plumbing that was promplty and courteously corrected.

Enjoy a drink by the firepace in the lobby...the bar has great HH specials!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed here the night before competing in a Livestrong 65 mile bike ride. The Domain had a dog festival of some kind going with dogs everywhere and in costume. It was also a UT home game. With all that going on - we had a great stay. We explored the domain shopping area, hit up the Range for dinner (which is an awesome sports restaurant and bar) and all without ever having to move the vehicle from it's parking space. They even stored our bikes downstairs so we didn't have to lug them to our rooms.

The front desk was helpful in providing us a selection of menus for the restaurants located at the Domain, shared some tips about the happy hour next door and took great care of us.

I love that we had a mini fridge and didn't have to pay extra. We also have to pack in our own fuel meal before a run or bike ride so this was awesome and unexpected. We have definately found our Austin event hotel from now on!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple