“T-H-E Spot !!”

Ranked #79 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Highland Village, Texas
“T-H-E Spot !!”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The Domain off Mopac (aka Loop 1) is the party spot in NW Austin. Uber cool complex of upper-end shops, live entertainment and hip people. This is my 3rd Aloft to visit. Visualize the cool euro economy version of the "W" hotel (1/3 the price). Our trip was a combined birthday. We all went to high school together... long ago, yet didn't feel like it. This trip put us back in the groove.

Bene's

Entire hotel is contemporary modern with euro theme and finish flair. Common areas are great. Pool is mid-sized but cool. Plenty of sun worship space. Lobby has seating to visit with very nice bar serving all the best for fair price. On a budget, NO Worry since it's a BYOB like all hotels - just be cool about it.

Rooms are nice. Cool theme, Direct TV, 42" LCD screens, coffee-maker, blow dryer, fridge and plenty of supplies available downstairs for less than 7-11. A fast microwave is downstairs too.
I read the room were small, but not so much. My standard King room was an apartment size bathroom/shower with 5-6 feet around the king bed in the sleeping area, desk, settee. No drawers, plenty of hangers.

Timeline of a great stay:
Arrived Friday evening about 6pm. I was in a rough mood for other reasons - yet Aloft staff bent over backwards to be nice to grouchy me. Kudo's for being so nice. Note: I booked online, but Aloft DOES NOT run your CC until check-in or after you missed check-in. Hence, you will need your C-card. Website gave me the solid impression Aloft already charged my card. Hotel was not crowded but not empty either. It felt about right.

Parking is about 200ft north opposite Neiman-Marcus store and the "Park" sports bar (which is kinda built into side of the Aloft building). You will be given a parking pass for the car lot. Hotel has free reserved parking.

Aloft is pet-friendly.. I should have brought Tiki my beautiful bassett hound. There were a lot of friendly dogs staying in the hotel and nearby in the Domain apartments. It's a happy place. Big doggie bowls of cooled water and biscuit bones in the lobby. The website pictures are real deal.

We all spent Friday evening on the patio at Fleming's happy hour with great wine, martini's, food and friends. Aloft hotel van provided shuttle service even though it's only a 2-4 minute walk. Sundown and late night dinner was at the Oasis on Lake Travis. Magnificent!! We all had a great time. Eight of us stayed at Aloft for the weekend and no doubt that was a best choice. Some of our classmates now living in Austin came out to join us. Spectacular.. Thanks to Valerie for taking care of us again, ever since school she has deserved a metal or something.

SATURDAY morning - awesome! You have a choice for breakfast. Eggs, Bacon, Cereal..whatever is cooked to order at Aloft. Average check is $8-9 pp. But for Saturday my choice was "The Steeping Room" house of herbal tea, legendary coffee and magnificent breakfasts. (I wrote a separate review for "the steeping room", an upbeat place serving tasty health vegan, killer pastries and very tasty not so healthy food like my wonderful omelet with cheese and sides of bacon, fruit and potato’s $12pp). If you opt for visiting the Steeping Room, just walk out Aloft's front door, turn Left and walk thru or around the parking garage. It's right next to Starbucks. If you go thru the garage be aware to take the elevator up to the 3rd level. Parking garage is built into a hill.

Wonderful shopping and people watching all day in the Domain. Cool eclectic crowd of assorted ages. Live bands play from lunch time to sundown between Starbucks and North Italian Bistro. Our lunch was at North featuring great jazz on the shady patio with Malbac wine with the coolest snack: Italian bread topped with cheese, Prosciutto and Asparagus. Yum! (Not expensive either $28)

Our group birthday was also at the North for dinner (kinda missed that detail earlier in the day). No worries.. this place is worth returning even on the same day. Our waitress suggested our choice for dinner. I LOVED the grilled Salmon sharing another bottle of Malbac. Once again this is why you always ask the staff what they think is a winner - it usually is. But surprise!! without asking they prepared deserts to celebrate our birthdays complete with flaming candles. We moved outside to listen to more great music, then over to Starbucks next door to late conversation over coffee.

After a great evening it was back to the Aloft. Slept like a baby.

SUNDAY morning was bright, happy with early sunrise breakfast downstairs before hitting the pool for some quality sun bathing time prior to noon departure. Made some new friends on this trip. More than a couple were out of practice and they opted for late checkout. Aloft staff was smiling friendly as they made a fresh pot of coffee to cut into my cup of Jim Beam bourbon to help start the morning (good to be prepared with byob on mornings before Alofts bar is open). 8/8 said they really enjoyed the weekend here.

I'm definitely staying at Aloft in the Domain again, especially on business trips because its a fun place. Great value for under $120 night money and conducive atmosphere. Now if your one of the boring 'traditional" type insisting on acting your real age there is another hotel just down the road for you.

I wish you the best on your journey.

Semper fidelis,
Dave Cannon

Room Tip: Pool view faces east with glorious morning sun. Ice machine is on 3rd floor. No sleeping rooms on gr...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Never stayed at an Aloft before but it throws all conventional hotel design out of the window right from the lobby to the rooms. Very modern and suited for today's traveller. The staff was friendly and accomodating and did not throw hotel policy at me for everything ! And you get Starwood points ! Wish i could have stayed longer

El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I usually stay at the Westin at the Domain but unfortunately they were completely booked so I decided to stay at the aLoft. It was a great choice, the aLoft is really nice place to stay for business, the rooms /hotel is clean. The staff is really friendly and yes there is bar downstairs. I hope you enjoy your stay there as much as I did. Walking distance to shopping and dinning at the Domain is also a nice plus.

Spring, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Last minute stay. Pleasantly surprised with venue. Only disappointment was the lack of a view from the room.

• Stayed July 2012
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Two friends and I stayed in this hotel over the weekend. When first reading the reviews, we were a bit unsure. However, upon arrival, we were feeling more positive. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The grounds and room were clean and the location wonderful. The bartender, Greg, was absolutely FANTASTIC! We read a lot of reviews stating that the ACs were loud and the walls were thin. We did not have those issues. Overall, the only thing to complain about is that we didn't get to stay longer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Austin
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed at this property for an extended date night "staycation" to go dining and shopping at the Domain. It's extremely convenient to walk to restaurants, bars and enjoy yourself in an upscale urban area without downtown hassles of parking and taxis. The hotel is clean, modern and hip. We had a decent size room, which was a little larger because it was a handicapped accessible room. Got a good rate through AAA and we enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed June 19, 2012

The first time I came to stay here I was impressed, I loved the atmosphere and the overall design of the hotel. I had no issues. They had a gym that wasn't big but had the basic equipment and they were pretty new. The staff was also very helpful and friendly.

However, the second time around, I reserved for King's Bed, the staff that met me downstairs did not even mention that all the King's were already taken and that they only had double queens available. So low and behold I came to my room and just saw two beds, went downstairs again and asked the staff and she informed that that was what I reserved for. I went back to my room to look at my emails (since I did not have a printout) and I DID RESERVE FOR A KING. When I went downstairs again for the second time, I was told that the reservation is sort of like telling them your preference but it's not guaranteed. That doesn't even make sense. But the fact that the staff lied to me the first time around, really peeved me. Just admit period. That's all.