“Good Value But A Few Quirks”

HYATT house Austin / Arboretum
Ranked #23 of 199 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Good Value But A Few Quirks”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The room was nice, very good value for a suite. There were a few things I found strange:

(1) No mouthwash included, as many hotels have with their amenities, instead they wanted me to pay for one.
(2) No clock in the room. I asked for them to bring one, they said they would but did not.
(3) No notepad in the room. I asked and they said they don't provide them. Come on - nothing to write notes with? This is taking green a little too far.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the maim building.
Green Features: I don't really need a hotel to have environmentally friendly-practices other than to not poison me or the air. Not providing notepads was over the top. Furthermore, the air conditioning did not work properly and probably wasted money.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
bheintz, General Manager at HYATT house Austin / Arboretum, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I sincerely appreciate your feedback as this will help us improve. I certainly understand your frustration and will review with our team. We look forward to your return to our hotel when traveling to Austin in the future.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,

Bryan Heintz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay. The staff were all very nice. We were traveling with a little one and they helped us find a room that would suit all of our needs. The room was very clean and while the busy street does create noise, a pair of cheap earplugs makes up for the only downfall. We would definitely stay here again as prices were extremely competitive.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
bheintz, General Manager at HYATT house Austin / Arboretum, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return to the Hyatt house Austin Arboretum. Your comments will assist us in continuing to achieve our goal of being the cleanest and friendliest hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I called the hotel on a Friday to tell them my flight was delayed significantly and I'd get in very early the next day. I knew hotel rooms were scarce and wanted to be sure to keep my room. I confirmed my two requirements - feather free (allergies) and quiet. They told me that they would check me in right away to a quiet, feather free room then I could just pick up my key when I arrived the next day. That sounded great. The person was very pleasant on the phone and I was happy.

When I arrived they told me I'd NOT been checked in, that they'd cancelled my reservation because I was a no-show, but charged me for the night anyway. I told them that was not what was arranged, but just wanted to go lie down so didn't say anything else. I went to crash after my long travel - but the room was full of feathers. I'm highly allergic and had to leave the room and wait another hour as they cleaned out the feathers and changed the sheets. Not what you want to do after 24 hours of travel.

That night I was quickly woken up by people upstairs. The noise was incredible stomping, voices, etc. I called and the management said they'd talk to them, but nothing happened. Apparently they'd put me under a room full of teenage boys. I called 3 times that night between 12:30 am and 4 am and while the desk agent was pleasant and apologetic, nothing changed. Eventually it stopped -because the boys went outside and hung out outside -making the same amount of noise. I called the front desk and they said they could do nothing.

Basically I paid for 2 nights at a hotel and got 3 hours sleep -all because the person I talked to did not actually check me in as they said they would -to a quiet, feather free room.

I asked to speak to the manager. They said he/she was not available. I asked for the manager to call me -he/she never did. I phoned and left a message. Nothing. I checked out and vowed to never go back to this place.

How can they treat customers this way? I cannot believe this was a Hyatt hotel -way below their standards.

Room Tip: Always get the top floor ONLY -otherwise you will hear everything above you.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologize for the lack of follow up to ensure your comfort and satisfaction. I appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in improving. I can only hope that you will give us another opportunity to earn back your loyalty to our hotel.

Plano, Texas
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The staff was wonderful and very accommodating. The room was fine except we were put in an ADA room (did not request it). It was fine except for the shower. When taking a shower water went all over the bathroom floor. We were told that the hotel was booked and that was the only room left when we checked in. I booked this room two months prior to our stay, and I used my Hyatt points for this two day visit...wonder if we were put in this room because of that??? Nonetheless, that was our only complaint. They have a great reception each night with food and drink. The breakfast was very good. Room has a small but very adequate kitchen with a refrigerator that was definitely used!

Room Tip: If you do not need an ADA room, do not accept it.
Green Features: The hotel has containers for recycling and also allows you to forgo changing sheets each night.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I appreciate the nice comments regarding the service received as well as the breakfast and social hour. I apologize that you were in a room that you did not request and appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in moving forward. I wish you would have received your requested accommodation. Thank you for choosing our hotel and look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband had to be in town for 2 weeks and we stayed at Hyatt House Arboretum and it was fabulous! The service was excellent and the neighborhood was awesome! Easy access to the highway, yet out of the hustle and bustle of traffic! Loved our experience!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Your positive comments about your experience and the service received from our team is much appreciated. We look forward to your return to the Hyatt house Austin Arboretum when in the Austin area in the future.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My first night's experience was very positive - although it's ostensibly a non-smoking hotel, my room reeked of smoke; however the night staff (I think his name was Brian?) was very well trained in customer service and handled the problem most professionally. It was very unfortunate that the second room I was given was also smoky - not as much, but still enough to spoil the experience. I decided to live with it rather than be that guy who complains all the time, but after a day in here with the windows open and the smell not dissipating, I'm having serious thoughts about asking for a third room although I don't have much confidence that they could find one that doesn't smell.

The halls and the elevators smell of smoke too despite it being an all non-smoking building. Although there are signs that say the hotel can charge your credit card $250 for cleaning a room that's been left stinky like these, I suspect that the management is not enforcing it or the situation would not be so bad. If they were serious about it being a non-smoking hotel they could be alerted to a problem the first time the cleaning staff work on a room after a smoker has used it, and not have to wait until they've gone when it's too late to do anything about it. If they're not comfortable with using the cleaning staff to catch smokers then they could install smoke alarms like they do in aircraft.

With that one (albeit large) caveat aside, this is a good hotel with free wifi, a decent breakfast and a happy hour in the evening with snacks and drinks - enough snacks in fact that you might not even feel the need for an evening meal.

I'd give it 3.5/5 if half stars were allowed. Ckean up the smoke problem and it would be a solid 4 or possibly a 5.

Room Tip: Ask for the main building and 2nd or 3rd floor not next to an elevator.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
bheintz, General Manager at HYATT house Austin / Arboretum, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the odor in the rooms as we are a non-smoking hotel and wish you would not have experienced this in the hotel. I sincerely appreciate your feedback as it will help us review our processes and procedures for de-smoking a room properly. You can be assured we take feedback such as yours extremelly serious as it helps us move forward in our quest to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel in Austin. I was happy to see that Brian made a difference with your stay and will certainly pass along the kudos to Brian for a job well done. We look forward to your return to our hotel and hope you allow us the opportunity to make your next stay better than the last.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place is a hidden gem. Jonathan greeted us when we arrived and he was extremely friendly and courteous. Breakfast was great in the morning, including the omelettes! Overall my wife and I really enjoyed our stay. We only stayed for 2 nights and it was very affordable.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that Jonathan exceeded your expectations . You can be assured I will pass along your positive comments to Jonathan and the entire stay as positive recognition helps strengthen our committment to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel. We look forward to your return to the Hyatt house Austin in the future.