“Perfect Easter Weekend”

Four Seasons Hotel Austin
Ranked #7 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We have come to the Four Seasons Austin for the last 3 years during Easter weekend with our family. It is the perfect getaway for the holiday weekend. The Easter brunch was the best ever and the kids loved the Easter egg hunt. The service was excellent and they even delivered easter baskets to the room. We had dinner in Trio on Sat night and I have to say this is my favorite place in Austin for dinner. We went out for BBQ on Friday night right down the street. Love the location of the hotel we never needed our car. The front desk clerks were extremely helpful in answering all our questions and request. Did get a chance to go to the spa for a great facial. I am feeling extremely spolied and hate to leave.

Room Tip: Balcony room overlooking the lake. Well worth the price
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,888)

Reviewed April 20, 2014

My husband and I are currently wrapping up a stay at the Four Seasons Austin, and I can state with certainty that we would not return. We are frequent guests at Four Seasons hotels/resorts (stayed at Hualalai earlier this year and have upcoming stays booked at Seattle and Chicago in the next few months), and this hotel just absolutely did not live up to the Four Seasons brand.

There isn't any one major thing that went wrong, but rather it was a continual series of sub-par service experiences that made me feel like this hotel doesn't know how to adequately staff for busy periods. Specifically:

-When I arrived at the valet to check-in, no one greeted me. I don't just mean initially, I mean at all. I had to ask a valet what to do with my keys, unloaded my luggage by myself, and trekked inside with it because no one offered assistance.

-Upon checking in and going up to my room, I ordered room service as I hadn't eaten lunch due to my flight. I was told it would arrive in 30 minutes; it showed up about 40 minutes later.

-That evening, when I called to have the room service items removed from the room, I was told someone would be right up. I waited 15-20 minutes for someone to arrive.

-Our room wasn't made up until 3:30 PM, despite us being out for a large portion of the day. This was an inconvenience because I just assumed they would get to it before then, and so when we arrived we found we couldn't access our room.

-Turndown service was kind of sporadic. One night we were left water bottles on the nightstand; the next night only my husband got one. No slippers left like at most other Four Seasons hotels.

-Breakfast was a disappointment. Our room rate included breakfast, as it always does because we book through our Virtuoso agent. Well, it turns out we were staying over Easter weekend - something I hadn't really put much thought into because I don't celebrate Easter - and it turns out that the hotel's ONLY restaurant is the most popular brunch spot in town. I, being an out of town guest, had no idea that this was the case because it didn't occur to me to be concerned about not having some sort of alternative dining option at the Four Seasons. I wrongly assumed that if the restaurant was incredibly popular, the hotel would have some sort of policy on (1) informing guests about that ahead of time or (2) providing breakfast in another area (say the lobby bar?). but the Four Seasons Austin offers no such alternative. If you can't get a table in Trio then your only option is to dine in your room. I'm of the opinion that if your restaurant is so popular that it sells out, you need to advise your guests in advance and recommend they book brunch reservations before their stay. The fact that hotel guests aren't taken care of on this front seems wholly unacceptable to me when you factor in what you pay nightly to stay here and the level of service one expects.

-There is no coffee maker in the room and no complimentary coffee available in the lobby. Since we're unable to get into Trio this morning for breakfast, my husband's only option to get his morning coffee is to order it from room service, which seems a little ridiculous.

We've yet to check out so there's always the possibility that further issues will arise, but I honestly can't wait to leave. This room cost $500+ a night, and the service was on par with what I expect at a hotel that costs 1/3 that. If you look at recent reviews, a few other people have posted 2-star reviews, and I completely agree with them. As one reviewer stated, "it thrives on being full" and that's the case - though it certainly doesn't provide adequate staffing to cover the fact it is full. And as another reviewer stated, it's a good hotel but a VERY average Four Seasons. I won't be returning.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kimberly530
fsaustin, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Austin, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear Kimberly,

Thank you for reaching out regarding your visit over Easter weekend. I was very sorry to hear about the many shortcomings you experienced, although appreciative of the amount of detail you included since such comments only help us improve. Our Director of Rooms, Danielle McGillen, would love the opportunity to speak with you personally and will be reaching out to you today or tomorrow by phone.

In the meantime, I wanted to be sure to mention that we serve complimentary coffee in the Lobby until 10am every Sunday; on holidays, like last Sunday, we keep it out until 11am. That said, we can certainly add a note to your profile saying that you prefer a coffee maker in your room.

Because we know our Brunch can be busy and may not be the preferred dining option for busy travelers, we also offer an alternative breakfast option every Sunday (including Easter Sunday) in the Lobby Lounge starting at 10am, immediately after TRIO stops serving its regular a la carte menu.

From your review, it seems you were not made aware of these special amenities and offerings. It appears that we failed to properly communicate them to you and for that I truly apologize.

I hope you and Danielle are able to connect soon so that we can gain more insight and ensure that we regain your confidence in Four Seasons Hotel Austin, both as a hotel and as a brand.

Four Seasons Hotel Austin

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have stayed at this property more than 20 years, seems nothing changed. I am very pro Four Seasons, I love their business model of guest experience. This hotel thrives on being full most of the time due to it's location. I would say my room was a notch below Marriott or Hilton.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ExpatTraveler59
fsaustin, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Austin, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear ExpatTraveler59,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Four Seasons Hotel Austin with us on TripAdvisor. I was very concerned to hear of your disappointment with your most recent stay, especially since you've been a loyal customer for more than twenty years. While we are lucky to be a very busy property, we are keenly aware we need to maintain both our service and our quality to ensure that we keep that business and continue to please repeat customers such as you.

On that note, I am excited to share with you that we've recently completed the design for an upcoming rooms enhancement that we anticipate completing this year. I would be happy to share the plans when your travels bring you back to Austin as I'm certain you will find the updated product to be at the level you expect of a Four Seasons.

Should you have any further feedback or wish to speak with me further about the upcoming enhancement, I would welcome the call.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I worked with their group booking and could not say enough good things about their staff. They were incredibly responsive and accommodating. Especially with some last minute changes that I had to make to a few reservations. Their staff was very professional and understanding to the needs of our group. Every one of the people that had a reservation at the Four Seasons had positive things to say about their stay. I will absolutely be going back there for the next trip to Austin and am very much looking forward to working with them again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2014

No complimentary coffee or breakfast. The hotel restaurant food was poor quality. Room service food was not any better. Thank goodness we were close to downtown and lots of good local restaurants and yummy food. Staff was kind and welcoming.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Erin R
fsaustin, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Austin, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Dear Erin,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay at Four Seasons Hotel Austin, as well as for your comments about the staff being kind and welcoming. I appreciate it and will be sure to share the compliment with my team.
We strive to provide the highest quality menu items and ingredients so I was sorry to hear you found your meals underwhelming. If you're open to sharing more details, please don't hesitate to contact me directly as I'm certain our food and beverage director would be interested in following up to ensure any quality issues are resolved.
I also wanted to mention that we do offer complimentary coffee and tea in the Lobby reception area each morning; however, I have added a preference for an in-room coffee maker to your reservation profile in the event you visit us in the future.
Thank you again for your candid comments; I sincerely hope you will consider giving us another chance to provide you with an incredible stay.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

An older property, beautifully maintained.
The décor a bit dated perhaps with a country theme.
Located on the bank of Lady Bird Lake, fronted by mature vegetation, with many native birds, in the trees on the property.
The staff were up to the high standards of the Four Seasons chain.
The hotel is close to all the action in Austin, with sixth avenue and its plethora of music clubs and bars just a few blocks away. An easy walk for those who drink and DON'T drive.
Also close to the state capitol, (well worth seeing).
I only used the restaurant for breakfast, and the food and the service were excellent.
The rooms provided all needed amenities, (however the shower head need to be upgraded).

Room Tip: Ask for a room fronting the river. A pleasant view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael B

Dear Michael,
I appreciate you taking the time to share some feedback about your recent stay at Four Seasons Hotel Austin. I'll be sure to share the positive comments with our team as they take great pride in providing a five-star experience.
I also wanted to let you know we're planning a bathroom enhancement later this year that will include - among many other upgrades - new shower heads. Hope you'll visit us again soon to experience the new and improved product for yourself!

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Amazing hotel, with exemplary staff willing to do anything to make your stay enjoyable! Beautiful location within walking distance of Rainey St and 6th Avenue. Staff is by far the best I've experienced in a Hotel.

Room Tip: Chose a room with a view of the Colorado River...although the city views are cool too!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Graham,
Thank you for taking the time to share such great comments about our staff; I don't know if we could receive a higher compliment! I also appreciate you posting a few photos from your stay to give other travelers an unbiased view of the Hotel grounds. We certainly consider ourselves lucky to have such beautiful real estate in Austin!
Hope to see you again soon,