“Needs Overhauling”

GreenLeadersBronze level
texas
“Needs Overhauling”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many, many times over the years, but it is getting worn looking and needs a complete remodel. The location is still outstanding on Lake Austin. Until it is remodeled, I will stay elsewhere now. The Austin Four Seasons is overpriced and does not live up to the Four Seasons reputation.

Room Tip: request a room higher up, away from elevators, overlooking the lake, rowdier clientele on Texas foot...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Freethacowlow
fsaustin, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Austin, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear freethacowlow,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about Four Seasons Hotel Austin and the reasons why you may not return to the Hotel in the future.

I was truly sorry to hear you didn't find the hotel's appearance as inviting as your previous stays, and want to assure you we take such feedback seriously. I can share that we are in the early planning stages of enhancements to the guest rooms, although at this point we do not yet have a firm completion date.

In the meantime, I invite you to contact me directly if you have any additional comments or suggestions of how we could improve your stay in the future. Thank you again for your candid comments and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back next time you're in Austin!

Rob Hagelberg
(512) 685-8035
rob.hagelberg@fourseasons.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
Richmond, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Got to speak at a conference held at this hotel, and so got comped for two nights. Overall it was a wonderful experience. Everyone I dealt with, from the front desk to valet to parking guy to conceirge, all were very helpful, prompt and informative. A few outstanding points:

While everything about the stay was good, if I could I would give the service and the sleep quality both sixes. Really, really, good.

When I first went to my room, with my luggage in tow with the valet, he offered to get ice for me. As I had a cooler with me, I said sure, and he promptly brought me lots of ice. What I discovered later, the ice machine is behind a locked unmarked door on the hallway. So the ONLY way to get ICE is with some assistance.

There was a fresh bottle of water waiting in my room for me each day, for free. That was greatly appreciated. The head of the Upscale Hotel Association will no doubt be sending a stern letter to the manager of the Four Seasons over this.

The bedding was WONDERFUL. I am a picky sleeper, and it was an amazing bed to sleep on. As I happened by the conceirge the next day I mentioned I would have to get one of those beds, and he pointed out they are custom units made to their spec by Stearns and Foster, and that they can be ordered. He then proceeded to hand me a price sheet. Nice.

As you'd imagine, the on-site restaurant is good, and pricey. I had breakfast one morning there. Eggs benedict, juice, coffee, that's it. $36 with tip. The eggs benedict were exceptional.

I was on the street side ("city view rooms"), only the third floor, and I never noticed any traffic noise, especially not at night.

I was almost at the end of the hallway, and still got very good high speed wireless reception. $10/day, if I remember correctly. I noted there were at least three different wireless hubs for the hotel. It is about time SOMEBODY realized that in a large property you need multiple hubs at different locations so everyone can get good access.

When I was ready to check out of my room, I asked if they could put my bags in my car, and specified which went in the trunk and which in the front seat. It was done just as instructed, and waiting for me when I finally left hours later.

The views out back, on the riverside, are very nice. Especially the Adirondack chairs under the sprawling live oak. Very peaceful.

Overall, I would LOVE to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The truth be told, this hotel needs a serious updating. For what you pay, the rooms are small and outdated big time.

But, the location and the super staff at this hotel make it almost impossible for it not to be the first choice when I am in one of my favorite cities. I rotate out about every other time I go to Austin, but invariably return, hoping that there has been a face lift.

Food at the restaurant is good, but with so many other great choices nearby at much less, its hard to go that route unless you do room service. And room service is one of the best, if not the best in town.

The one thing that still grates on me is the high cost of overnight parking. The $30 plus tax rate is almost as much as the cost of a car rental. And, being in Texas without a car is just plain nuts.

Room Tip: Go for the balconies facing Lady Bird Lake. Be sure to get above the fourth floor though of the pow...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ArCDawg
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

This Hotel is one of the best managed Hotels I have ever stayed at-anywhere in the world.
The staff were excellent and obviously enjoyed coming to work each day.
Concierge Liz went above the call of duty and helped us complete a business transaction.Nothing was too much and not only was she patient, but always had a smile.
The other staff members were all excellent and there were no weak links.
The restaurant was world class as were everything else the Hotel offered.
We will definitely be back and this Hotel is strongly recommended.

Room Tip: Our room had a view of the Lake.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank anthony f
Port Neches, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We were visiting our children in Austin and wanted a place that was kid friendly but that also had a good restaurant and bar. The Four Seasons was the place. The food at the Trio restaurant was outstanding, the wine list great and service even better. In the morning, it was nice to sit on the outside patio for breakfast and visit with our children and grandchildren. The hotel restaurant is located on the lake and a walking trail. After breakfast we took the grandchildren down to the lake and hung around for a hour or so . We all had a wonderful time.
After hours the hotel bar has a great bar menu. It also is a nice place to people watch. Occassionally you may see a celebrity or two. In all, the Four Seasons is a great place for singles as well as families!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

My three day stay at the four seasons was amazing. I always love staying at this hotel. As always the service from the front drive to cattering go above and beyond to full fill your request. As I entered the hotel, staff was there to greet and help direct me to the front desk. this place is first class.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank proxy r
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We brought some friends to visit Austin for the first time and they were blown away by both the city of Austin and the Four Seasons Hotel. The location, on the lake, was perfect and the Four Season staff were pleasant, attentive and helpful in every way. If you get a chance to dine in the restaurant, TRIO, with its' fun menu and wine list, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Go for the Lake view room - well worth it for the beautiful view and balcony.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends