“Good value except for parking”

Four Seasons Hotel Austin
Ranked #7 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Room was great and clean. My wife was disappointed that she had to go to the lobby to get a cup of coffee. Staff was terrific except clerk at check-in. Parking cost was excessive but typical of Austin. Hallway was noisy at night due to a wedding reception. Lack of a store in hotel meant we had to find a drug store in town. Conceire charged $2 for a single alka selzer.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank cranch69
Write a ReviewReviews (1,905)

Reviewed June 3, 2011

My sisters and I had been to the Four Seasons twice before in the last 10 years for long get-away weekends, coming together from the different cities where we live. The Four Seasons used to be a lovely, magical place that made time seem to stand still and exuded peace and elegance.
We met there again last month, and were very disappointed to find that the hotel had undergone a major rennovation, which served to remove the charm and grace that let you know you were at the Four Seasons Austin. The hotel is now very generic and common-place. The sense of suspended time is gone, and with it, the attention to detail that used to be the hallmark of this hotel. We went to great lengths to reserve a specific pair of riverview suites with a balcony. When we checked in, we found that we had different rooms, and that the rooms we reserved were not available.
A balcony was of paramount importance to us, and they couldn't give us a combination of rooms that would provide one to us. A desk clerk with no grasp on reality offered us a free bottle of wine on the patio in exchange for no balcony. The suites are somewhat small and clostrophobic anyway, which was made more evident by the generic redecorating, but this effect worsens without a balcony. We were offered $200 a night off the rate, but at $1000/night for the suite combo we had, it just was not at all worth the expense. Additionally, we had air conditioning problems and the rooms were warm. Room service yielded mediocre food that was only lukewarm.
The "famous" Sunday brunch has been forced to downscale in size and quailty of offerings due to a poorly resdesigned restaurant space. Overall, this would have been a nice stay at a regular hotel with standard rates. The Four Seasons' rates are anything but standard - and they are now exhorbitant due to the decrease in overall value from the very disappointing remodeling "improvements." We will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank PuppyMom1978
fsaustin, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Austin, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, we appreciate it and take your comments very seriously.

Your patronage over the past 10 years is valuable to us, so it was especially disappointing to read you did not like the recent renovations we made to our Lobby area and guest rooms. As a property built in 1986, we find it necessary to periodically make enhancements to maintain the aesthetic appeal of our public spaces. When doing so, we always strive to find a balance between maintaining the original southwestern charm and introducing modern updates to satisfy those guests with more contemporary tastes. We are sorry to hear the result was not to your liking.

We apologize for not being able to offer you the balcony room you had requested, and that our team failed to provide a solution that was appropriate. We agree that we could have handled the situation better. We will look closely at both the air conditioning temperature and room service offerings and ensure that the shortcomings you experienced are addressed.

While we have made some changes to our Sunday Brunch, the current menu still offers more than 80 different items making it one of the most extensive in the city. If there is an item missing that you would like to see in the future, we welcome your suggestions. It is also worth noting that we accommodate several special item requests each year, so please do not hesitate to ask if you come to Brunch in the future.

Should you want to discuss your concerns further, please don't hesitate to call me at the number listed below. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope you will allow us the opportunity to regain your trust and confidence in Four Seasons Hotel Austin.

Rob Hagelberg
(512) 685-8035

Reviewed May 30, 2011

The staff without exception were friendly, prompt and helpful. Special compliments to the concierge desk. It was always staffed with two ( sometimes one) knowledgable concierges who printed clear directions for us in seconds. They suggested a lovely nature hike that turned out to be a highlight of our visit. The hotel backs onto Ladybird Lake, with a pretty grass lawn in back, close to the Congress bridge. This puts you in an ideal position to view the nightly show of the thousands of bats flying out from under the bridge for their nightly food hunt. This sight is a unique experience. The public spaces of the hotel are spacious, comfortable and beautifully decorated in the Texas style. The lobby bar is very popular after work. Breakfast was non-buffet. The complete menu offered many interesting choices and service was excellent. In terms of negatives, I only have two: the pool is too small for real swimming. It's great for children or to splash in. The prices are extremely, high.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank myjourney
Reviewed May 22, 2011

This has everything you need in a conference type hotel. A little impersonal but it's large, staff were very good and attentive. Check in staff did that thing where they come around to your side of the desk to send you on your way to your room. Freaked me out the first time anyone did it to me but now I see it as a clue to good service and the way they want you to feel. Nice pool, great views over the river (lake?) if you get a room at the back. Gym is ok if a little small.

Room Tip: Room at the back
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2011

I stayed at the Four Seasons Austin for one night in May. Service was excellent, as one would expect from Four Seasons but the rooms are pedestrian and veery poor value at around $500 per night.
I had a deluxe rlake view room with balcony, which was reasonably spacious but really had nothing special about it, the bathroom was also very disappointing for a Four Seasons, pretty much what you would expect from a Marriott. There was no separate shower, just a surprisingly low quality shower head in the bath. The amenities were high quality L'Ocittane products, as is standard at Four Seasons hotels.
Fast wireless Internet cost $15 per day, although a slower service was also available at $10 per day.
I went to the gym on the lower lakeside level, it was very poor, small, not particularly well equipped or decorated and every single machine had some rust on it. I have seen better gyms in hotels charging 1/3 of this Four Seasons.
Overall there's nothing horrible about the hotel, it is a solid four star offering, but if you are expecting five star Four Seasons quality, you will be disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Dopanijoso
Reviewed April 22, 2011

What can I say...another great Four Season's experience.
I don't think that I could say enough good things about the service that
the Four Season's hotels give to it's patrons, and this one was no exception.
I went with two friends for a weekend getaway. We had a beautiful one bedroom suite with a balcony, lake view, two bathrooms, and a sitting area. The view was beautiful as were the accomodations. The grounds were so beautiful and tranquil.
It was around Christmas when we were there....so everything was decorated so beautifully.
The lobby bar was such a fun place to have drinks and make new friends. We spent time here each night of our stay, before and after dinner. We also liked the outdoor seating areas and the walking trail around the lake.
The concierge staff was extremely helpful and polite.
We had brunch at Trio and honestly wished that we would have had dinner there as well instead of going out to a restaurant that we did not enjoy. (That restaurant will be included in another review).
Over all another wonderful Four Seasons stay!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank tootlepops
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I have actually yet to stay at this hotel. Why right the review in that case? I have spent the last four days working with many factions of the staff here on behalf of my boss, whom is going to the hotel this weekend on a business/pleasure trip.

Being an assistant, I get mixed responses from the sorts of luxury hotels my boss stays with. Sometimes I feel like a second class underling and they treat me with hast4e because I am not the one staying there. Not so here!

I would like to single out Cristine Bloemsma, the director of reservations. I have had a number of conversations with Cristina (perhaps too many for her liking! :) and she has been the epitome of p an accommodating and helpful professional even though I can be somewhat detail oriented (ie annoying). I want to thank Cristina and her staff profusely for their help. Working for my boss I have to give a lot of recommendations out and I will recommend this hotel to everyone that asks!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank clawplach
kholden, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Austin, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your reservation experience with Four Seasons Hotel Austin. I'm so pleased to hear it has been a pleasant process and will be sure to share your compliments with Christine Bloemsma. On behalf of the Hotel, thank you again and we look forward to providing your boss with a similar level of hospitality!
Kerri Holden