“Laid back”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Fort Worth, TX
“Laid back”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Very casual. A few business types having lunch. Basic sandwiches. Only wine and beer. I wanted a mixed drink.

San Antonio, Texas
“Ruff/Quack”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Was within walking distance of our B&B. Food was very good and the atmosphere was really good - casual and friendly staff.

Visited February 2012
Austin, texas
“Best Fish and Chips- anywhere!!”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My wife and I had lunch at The Dog & Duck Pub yesterday. First, we were greeted by extremely warm/happy staff as we placed our orders. My wife had the large fish and chips with crispy, well cooked chips, and I had the Willie burger.
The fish and chips at the D&D are unquestionably the best we have ever had. They are superior to any that we have had throughout the UK with a crispy beer batter (Shiner is the secret) and firm, well cooked fish, nothing mushy. The crispy fries were cooked to perfection. A little malt vinegar and Nirvana!
If you are in search of the best burger ever, I highly recommend the Willie burger with melted Swiss cheese, bacon, and jalapenos. YUMMY! Paired with crispy fries and a pint of your favorite- incredible!
The price is reasonable, the beer selection is fantastic, and other pub food selections are equally wonderful. To walk into the Dog & Duck you would think you were in an old English pub not in Austin, Texas.

• Visited September 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
“Dinner Outside”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Walked from the AT&T Executive Education Center Hotel for an evening outing; ordered the Bacon Cheddar Burger which was excellent ... reminded me of the show Man vs Food as the flavors (peppers, bbq sauce, cheddar, etc) of this burger came together very nicely.

Visited January 2012
London, England
“I came back, and not out of convenience...”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I was waiting for a bus to the airport with my wife to go pick up a mis-booked rental car, and realising our connecting bus was 45 minutes away, we decided to go for a wander to get some food.

The Dog and duck just kind of pops up on it's own little lot in the middle of what looks like a business district, sat there looking like an old dishevelled shack. The outside didn't do much to invite us in on the first visit, but knowing better now we realised it was part of the charm. Walking inside from the bright Texas sunshine, you're immediately struck by the stark contrast; the inside is DARK, and I mean almost stumbling round dark, with a couple of dim bulbs to light an almost windowless room painted entirely black.

We tottered over to the bar and were greeted by a friendly guy that handed us a food menu and we placed our order for fries. I asked what they had on tap and the guy laughed and pointed to a wall by the bar, where perhaps thirty taps are all lined up in a row. Having just discovered Blue Moon the previous night, I opted for a pint. If you're a lover of beer on tap as it should be, you'll like the selection if nothing else.

We sat down and the guy from the bar brought our fries over nice and quick. We finished up our pints and food and made for the bus.

Having collected the car from the airport, we decided to head back there as the food was decent and the beer was chilled and fresh. It was a different bartender who seemed to be angling to be like Tom Keene from CNBC, with bowtie, big glasses and an officious attitude.

We ordered our drinks and retreated to the corner to sit and talk and wonder why on earth there was a life size mummy (see photo) by the fireplace. It was the Friday straight after New Year's, but still began to busy up around home time (5pm) and stayed busy with a decent atmosphere and buzz. One thing you'll notice (possibly after a drink or two) is the floor lies at an angle, it's another peculiarity that adds to the 'dive bar' charm. Ironically there's a polished looking place opposite called 'Dive Bar'.

The hiring seems to be based on how alternative you are; I don't think I've seen that many black shirts, piercings and tatts outside of a metal concert. Don't be put off though, the staff were all polite and friendly, with the exception of Tom Keene who insisted on ID three pints in. No idea why, and kind of redundant at that stage.

The food was far from bad, the beer selection is extensive and almost all the staff seem like genuine people. If you're in the area it's very much worth checking out. Good atmosphere and a good night.

• Visited January 2012