“Mixed feelings-has the potential to be a great place...”

Casa Chapala Mexican Grill & Catering
Ranked #313 of 3,736 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Family Owned & Operated, Authentic Mexican Cuisine from the central & coastal regions of Mexico. Available for your enjoyment over 200 Tequilas, join us for some Tequila Ed., delicious food, and fabulous margaritas. We look forward to your visit soon!
Fern Park, Florida
“Mixed feelings-has the potential to be a great place...”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

First off, let me start by saying that we ate ate the Trinity & Cesar Chavez location. It must be a new location, as I can't find it listed on TA yet.

The atmosphere was great-we ate at around 7pm. The air conditioning wasn't working inside, so we opted for the patio which was surprisingly much cooler in spite of the July heat. Our waiter was helpful...almost too much so, by informing us that the "crappy bartender" was on shift that night, which explained the delay in getting our drinks (20 minutes), and all we'd ordered was a bottled beer and a margarita. The margarita came out without salt (and had been ordered with double salt), but it was a pretty tasty drink. We also ordered a tequila sampler, which comes with a garnish of cinnamon and orange, and is quite an interesting and tasty twist. Too bad the shots weren't chilled. We ordered flautas for our entree, and they did not come out as ordered either. Once our waiter brought out the accompaniments (pico, sour cream, guac), we were able to enjoy what we could. The chicken was a bit dry, but we found the side of black beans to be really good. Overall, the food was just okay, and we could have done without the waiter telling us all the reasons for the screw ups.

Beirut, Lebanon
“Great service, pretty good food”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I have no idea about what makes Mexican food authentic, but can say this was a good experience. Fresh, good but not Texas-size servings, friendly service....all in all, a perfectly fine dinner, but not one I would rave about. I had the shrimp cocktail and the fish tacos. All fine, price reasonable.

• Visited April 2012
Ghent, Belgium
“Mixed experience”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

My colleague and I disagreed about whether we liked this restaurant. He did, I didn't. Nachos with salsa were fine, although the salsa was watery yet spicy at the same time. My colleague ordered beef taco's, which he liked a lot. I on the other hand ordered spinach enchilada's, which came with a sour green sauce I didn't like at all. Service was friendly and fast though, and you don't have to pay much... all in all: depends on what you order, I think.

Plus: patio for outside eating!

• Visited March 2012
Texas
“Delicioso!!!”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Casa Chapala is a family run restaurant. They use all natural ingredients and do not use lard. You can really taste the difference. If you like tequila, have a conversation with Lupe, the owner of Casa Chapala. He is an absolute tequila expert and he loves to show customers a good time!

Visited December 2011
4 Thank Traveller20203
Los Angeles, California
“Friendly service, solid mexican fare”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I don't know what some of the reviewers are on about -- we actually ate lunch here three times during a weeklong stay and it was a pretty pleasant rut to be in. I'm sure there are less expensive options away from the convention center, but this is real Mexican food, not plastic-lettuce-texmex-ick. It's tasty, the portions are reasonable (i.e. potentially small if you are a ravenous 15 year old, but exactly what we wanted to see). The service was invariably friendly, especially the woman (manager or owner I think) who was typically acting as hostess. The place is clean, bright and pleasant. If you want mexican near the convention center I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Visited January 2012