“The only thing they got right was the movie”

Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar
Ranked #433 of 3,851 Restaurants in Austin
Neighborhood: South Austin
Neighborhood: South Austin
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The other Alamo Drafthouse sites are just fine--it's the South Lamar venue that can't seem to get it right.
Party of 5. Ordered dinner for all of us. Drinks (just sodas) arrived. Dinner for 3 arrived. Dinner for the other 2 of us didn't come, and didn't come. Finally had to leave the movie to find our waitress. Couldn't find her. Someone else helped us. Turns out the other 2 meals weren't even made! Reorder with new waitperson. Food arrives 20 minutes before the end of the movie. One of the two dishes was wrong!!! My poor daughter ate it anyway. She was starving by that point.
My BLT was made with 2 heels of a loaf of bread. What restaurant uses the heels?!
My husband was so furious that he chose not to talk to management that night for fear of saying something ugly. He called them the next day. Management sent us two tickets (not 5) in apology for the troubles. The tickets were already expired. Geez!
Do not go to the South Lamar location!!!!!!!

3  Thank ccox8

Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

I tried this for the first time yesterday and won't be back.

My burger was like a rock, but the bun was a soggy mess. It was also expensive. The queso tasted like it was secretly nacho cheese sauce from the taco bell down the street. They were out of several of the beers on the menu. This is more of a pain then a normal restraunt since you now have to try and come up with an alternative on the fly in the dark. It's hard to get a hold of a server though so you don't want them to leave either.

The facilities were old. Previous to this I had only been to Flix where the comfy chairs, slide out tables and little push button for ordering we're much better.

2  Thank j98me2
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Dinner & a movie is the ultimate date night package...and Alamo delivers both under one roof. Easy.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

I wasn't able to catch a movie here as we had a baby with us on the trip. BUT I did manage to sneak out one morning to have one of their infamous Pecan Porter (beer) Milkshake. It was the best... I salivate just thinking about that! I smelled the freshly baked pizza and popped corn and really do hope we get a spot like this in Canada soon! Kids over 7 are allowed!

Reviewed March 27, 2012

We're native Austinites and longtime attendees of the Drafthouse but we don't go for the food anymore. Beer and maybe an appetizer but the food just isn't that great -- sorry! and I so want it to be because the experience is otherwise excellent at the Drafthouse. We go for the spaciousness of the theatre, for the strict rules on chatting and using one's phones while in the theatre and for the ability to guzzle beer.

The burgers are OK but not great and overpriced - though long ago I recall having the portobello burger and it ROCKED. The nachos libre are greasy and make me think someone is assembling them while in the dark too; the queso magnificado is NOT magnificado (it has that processed American cheese taste) and the chips are always stale. The wraps I've experienced had a wet sensation like they've sat around too long. The popcorn is stale time and time again. $40 later and we've learned our lesson - AGAIN. Never eat where you see your flicks. But the concept is A-1... so why can't we get a decent meal anymore??

We go enough to give the place a chance to improve and frankly, we won't stop going to the Drafthouse ... even if the food remains unchanged. But we pray it will.

And I'm ashamed for having said all this because we love the Drafthouse. Please don't ban us!!

1  Thank DanNell