“Clean, upscale hotel with friendly staff in great location...although expensive”

Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #53 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed October 15, 2010

We stayed here during ACL and were very happy with this hotel. The location is great (we were able to ride our bikes to Zilker Park). The whole place (rooms, hallways, restaraunt, ect) was very clean. The breakfast buffet was decently priced with a good variety of choices and the food tasted really good. Our room was on the 11th floor and was facing the inside so it was very quiet. The beds were supposed to be 'adjustable' with a lever on the side of the mattress to adjust the firmness level. We both tried adjusting the lever to different positions each night but still woke up with a giant crater in the middle of the mattress. Our backs didn't hurt the next morning and we slept soundly, so I guess it wasn't too bad. They have free internet access in the rooms which is always a plus.
The staff at the front desk were attentive, friendly and helpful.
My only complaint would be the high price not only for the room, but for parking also.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Service of this hotel is just about OK. I had a problem with a room key and had to go up and down 3 times to check and finally get the right key. Room service is just OK. I think the room was good, with comfy beds and all basic amenities, that made up for the GOOD part of the hotel.

One big advantage of this hotel though is its location, I had to attend a conference at Austin Convention Center, so my sponsors booked me in for this hotel, but thats not the best part. The famous Austin 6th Street, known for its live music bars and energetic nights is so close, that after you have had a long tiring day, you can take a stroll to 6th street, go to nearby bars and unwind.

Good things: Room was good, clean, with comfy beds and with all necessary amenities. Has a doable gym. Although there is no swimming pool, but there is one spa pool so that makes up for swimming pool if you are tired. It has a doable business center as well. Location according to me was superb, since I really enjoyed spending time during night at 6th street. If you'd rather stick to some calm and tranquil place, you might wanna go lake side.

Bad part: Staff is strictly ok, I didn't find them very helpful or friendly, specially the ladies seemed slightly hostile. They often made me wait at the front desk for small things and didn't attend well (ladies, at the reception). I was expecting a better restaurant, not that its bad, but certainly could have been better. But yes, the buffet breakfast was bad.

All in all, its a good and recommended hotel. It has its quirks, but they don't really irritate you, small things you can ignore considering the price tag.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Connecticut
Reviewed September 7, 2010

The Hilton Garden Inn has a lot going for it--pretty good location directly on Sixth St, friendly staff, nicer rooms than average in the chain. It also has a few bizarre things that make me not want to stay there again.

-The front desk was completely and totally incapable of recommending a restaurant in the entire city. The only place they could suggest was a bad bar right next door to the hotel. Even when we pressed them on it, thats all they could come up with. Is that a joke??
-Mandatory valet parking for $26 a day is offensive.
-Lobby smells like something died in it.
-To walk from the lobby to Sixth St you have to go on this underpass by a bug-infested stream that looks like it's out of a horror movie.
-Pool is a joke, as others have said.

We got a pretty good rate, definitely cheaper than the normal Hilton and others in the immediate area. Just wasn't satisfying overall. Loved Austin though!

Texas
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We booked on line and had requested two queen beds (two female friends). We got there WELL ahead of check in time and were told no-can-do, only room left was a king. It did have a pull-out sleeper sofa which was not comfortable at all but we had no choice. No one told us you had to insert your key in the elevator to get the floor-buttons to work so we rode up and down the floors a few times. Then we asked where the pool was, we had chosen a hotel specifically to use the pool facilities. WAT A JOKE! The pool wasn't much bigger than the jacuzzi and it was completely shaded. When I showed my shock, the girl said the pool gets about an hour of sun a day. She told us we could go to the regular Hilton and pay them $15 per person to use their pool. We did and trust me, we'll stay at the regular Hilton next time.

Texas
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Our room was adjacent to I-35. There is a downtown fire department about two blocks away. That meant SIRENS and TRAFFIC! We got no sleep. For the cost of this average room (2 double beds - about $200/night) we were very disappointed.
The only parking available at the hotel is by valet - $28/night.
The only good thing about this hotel is that you need a key to get to any of the guest floors from the elevator.
It's nice to be downtown, but I will not stay in this hotel ever again - there are other hotels, further from the interstate with more central locations.

Dallas, TX
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Bed is too hard. Room & bathroom very small. I felt like I was back in Europe. Can't get room cool enough.. ONE Bar of soap. Rough, scratchy towels. No water pressure in shower. No place to put desk chair to keep from tripping over going to bathroom. Desk drawer won't stay closed. I paid more for a good soft bed - which was advertised - and I can't even sleep on this one. Could have stayed in less expensive hotel - Sheraton, Windham, Hampton Inn, or several others in the area.Very disappointed.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lexuslady10
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 5, 2010

The Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Austin is a great location if you're looking for easy access to the interstate (fortunately some rooms have interstate views) and all of the 6th Street restaurants and music venues. All of the downtown attractions are within walking distance. However, walking would definitely be the preferred mode of transportation, as I believe the hotel assesses a hefty mandatory valet parking fee. I don't suppose this is much of an issue with business travelers, but I wouldn't want to pay it daily on family trip like this. The HGI is attractively decorated with rooms and service that definitely meet all expectations for this brand. Housekeeping was late getting to our room one day and interfered with our ability to get ready for dinner. The pool was a huge disappointment. Other reviewers have referenced its small size, which was not a big deal traveling with children. However, the pool was bone chilling freezing. No adults in our party could tolerate it and we saw plenty of other guests having a similar experience. Austin in the summertime? You need a pool!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family