“worst hotel stay- a complete waste”

Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #51 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 19, 2010

Stayed here for a weekend after visiting mom in San Antonio and wanted to get away and relax before returning home. Everyone seemed friendly on arrival and we thought this was going to be fun. Don't be charmed by the foam ear plugs on your pillow because they don't even keep out the noise from the street below at 2:00am. I got food poisoning that night in the restaurant-only place we ate and my girlfriend did not eat the EGGPLANT, she was fine and I vomited all night. That combined with the noise next door from the drunks coming in from 6th street, the thin walls and noise level from the floors below made it next to impossible to sleep. The hotel rooms are arranged around a central atrium and the drunks come in to the hotel and start screaming their girlfriend's name to hear the echo in the atrium which extends 14 floors. The next am, we headed to 6th street to find lunch and went out the back door to cross the little bridge over the creek or river and the beer cans and stench of urine was enought to make you , well, you get the idea. Watched the Longhorns at a local bar and returned to the room to rest. And that night, same thing music audible from the street below thru drawn drapes and the drunks in the room next to us returned to their room at 2:30am and proceeded to crank the radio. Called the front desk and they said they would send security, security never arrived. I waited outside our room for them. So, we called again and security came in person and finally our neighbors passed out at 4:00 AM. At 6:00 Am , we got up early to get our car and get to the airport and we had to step around the puke in the hallways. We told the checkout clerks but like other reviewers, they don't seem to care about the quality of your stay. We had a nice breakfast that AM if that's any consolation. In short, our absolute worst hotel stay with apathetic management and drunks screaming and partying and emesis soaked carpet. If this sounds like a delightful time, this is your place. And you get to pay $25.00 a night to park your car. Stay up towards Campus or downtown and take a cab.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Worldphotog

Reviewed February 13, 2010

We were traveling with our five month old baby, who got a cold. Because she was crying, some nearby guests complained and they sent the general manager up to our room who was completely and surprisingly unsympathetic. In fact, she told us that maybe we were putting the needs of our child before the needs of the other guests-- not something I would have expected to hear from a Hilton employee. Needless to say-- stay somewhere else. Anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank explorer064
Reviewed January 21, 2010

We had several issues with this hotel. When I politely brought it to their attention, the responce was "We will see what we can do" and they turned and walked away.

Nothing was ever done. Every one I meet their had the same complaints with the same responses.

First off, they keep the place as cold as a refrigerator. I mean the ALL the men there wore coat everywhere in the hotel it was so cold. The Hotel would not turn on the heat. We were there during a cold weekend in Austin. Even our conference room was cold.

Next, the parking was crazy. There was a very narrow drive up and you could see where tons of cars hit the wall. OUCH. Valet is there to park it but if it gets hurt how will you prove they did it? We were told we can park on level 3,4, and 5 but when we get up there every parking spot has a sign Reserved For Lotto Personnel All Others Will Be Towed." All those spots are the hotel parking. Wish they would have told us before we went up and back down again to confirm where to park.

The staff would ignore the customers and were so rude. I have yet to experience that kind of rudeness anywhere. House keeping staff were very nice. And the rooms were very clean.

Here is an example of passive aggressive by the staff. When we complained of the parking fee the response was you can park for free on the street from 10 pm to 8:00 am but they are not responsible should anything happens to your car. OKAY so we are thinking safety, cars run the risk of beeing broken into but what are the odds. We used the parking garage but later found out what they meant. BIRD POOOOO. Cars were plastered with it. WOW A simple if you park on the street you will get bird poo on your car. I understood why she smiled after her commit about parking on the street.

The hotel is run down and in need of repairs in places. There was a damaged wall by our window and a missing picture.

A Key Card is required to go up and down the elevator. BTW one of the elevators is broken. We went in and used our key card and give us a red light instead of green. We thought the card went bad again for the hundreth time. But one of the staff came by and said that it was not working. How much does it cost to write "Out of order" and post it on the door and in the elevator. Oh yea the staff is rude and hates to work. What was I thinking.

Sad thing is I'm not the only one who felt this way.

Getting around in the hotel is difficult because the key cards don't always work and it wasn't just our card. All our friends who stayed in the same place had the same problem. So if your card went out you had to wait for someone to come along who would use there card to help you get to anther floor.

I could not believe they want to charge us 129 per night plus 25.00/night plus taxes on the room and parking for an ordinary room.

We had a group of about 25 rooms and got a discount on the room but it was still way over priced for what you get. Crazy. Is all I can say.

The Restaurant was not reliable when it comes to being open or closed. We went up there for lunch and it was closed. It was closed several times when we went to eat there. I never had the chance to eat there. But from what I was told from the guest, it was not that great, no bad but not great. But very pricey.

The list continues but I'd rather move forward and forget about this hell hole.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank YellowRoseBunny
HGIGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2010

I appreciate your response regarding your stay with us and want to sincerely apologize. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns and can assure you I will personally follow up on all of your feedback as it is feedback such as yours that assist us in improving. You are correct that the hotel was cold. Overnight Friday night, due to the weather we had one of our air handler coils freeze up on us - the air handler that supplies air to all public space areas including the lobby and atrium areas however did not affect the guest rooms or meeting space. We were able to have a contractor come out and repair the air handler coils by early Monday morning. Yes, we also do charge $25 for parking. We are very competitive in the downtown area with regards to our parking charge but with this charge we offer valet service as well a safe and secure place to park your car. You are correct Austin has an overpopulation of birds that certainly mark their territory in full force overnight in most areas around downtown. I have checked on the elevators and all are currently in working condition, I apologize that one happened to be not working during your stay. I am however happy that you mentioned the key access to guest room floors as this is a big safety feature that we have installed in the hotel that most hotels have not implemented. This only allows guests on the guest floors and has proven to keep our guests very safe ans secure. I will certainly follow up on your service concerns and ensure everyone at the hotel is aware of what we need to do to make improvements. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed December 23, 2009

very good place

good room, spacious lobby, gym etc.,

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 19, 2009

I stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago on business. The location was great for downtown, but I don't remember being so poorly treated by a hotel's managment staff. I had a few issues during my stay there and when I made sure it was brought up to the General Manager, I was never even acknowledged! I know running a hotel can get busy, but they shouldn't neglect the customers that are keeping them in business. Unfortunately, I won't be back to give them another try.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank VolleyballFanatic41
Reviewed November 13, 2009

The hotel is okay..but i booked through hotwire and there was no disclosure of the $25 ripoff daily parking

$2 bottle water...will they also charge me if I use the soap?

I understand incremental revenue...but there are plenty of hotels in the area with free parking

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank bigadventurehouston
mbarrera, Guest Services Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2009

On behalf of everyone here at the Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown, we want to thank you for taking the time to complete your review. We always appreciate any feedback that we can get from our guests as this helps us become more efficient in our quality of guest satisfaction.
I noticed you mentioned something in regards to our parking and unfortunately when guests book through 3rd party sites such as Hotwire they do not mention our parking fees; instead they only mention some additional fees may apply. Our website does state that charge for parking and is comparable to what other hotels in the area charge.
We do realize that it can be challenging; however we are willingwork with the guest if is. If you ever find yourself returning to our property we would be willing to work w/you.
Regards,
Hotel Management

Reviewed October 16, 2009

I stayed there in March 09 - convenient location, friendly staff, and comfortable room. I needed to print something and scan them as email attachments. I got everything done at their business center (open 24 hours) for FREE! What a deal/service!

Do watch out where you walk/park on the street - no, it's not about safety. There's a stretch of half a block (right next to the hotel) where there are lots of birds nesting in the trees. Beware of their droppings as you walk under them. DON'T ever park your cars there. I saw some cars got covered entirely by the bird poos it's hilarious.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business