Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center
GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
“Mr Tim Doughty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I would love to commend Mr Tim Doughty for both his professionalism and dedication to the hotel guest. While the site is nice, but needs some updating its staff is outstanding. I arrived as was informed there was an issue with my reservation, and there were no more of my room types available. Within 10 Min as soultion was offered but was a not a suitable fit. After a fem moments later, not only was a room available, but a room that was perfect for a unplanned meeting the following day.

I have facilitated over 600+ two and three day seminars in hotel throughtout the US. I have worked with some good and some bad hotel staffs. Mr. Doughty only new I was a guest in need, we never discussed my former position and what I do for a living. His professionalism, dilligence, outside for the box approach to my issues was second to none. It reminded me of what I would have done if I was on the other side of that counter.

Going forward, this is my home away from hotel in Austin, please feel free to make it yours. Thank you Mr Doughty.

Room Tip: If your need a nice room with a view of the pool and a boardroom, you room is 505.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear TSPayne,

Thank you for your wonderful review from your most recent stay and we appreciate your business and outstanding comments in regards to our team! We look forward to seeing you back very soon and if there is ever anything we can do to be of service, do not hesitate to contact me directly at anytime. Thank you and have a wonderful week!

Blake Doran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Athens, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference at the convention center nearby. It was conveniently located about 4 blocks away, and was an easy 7 minute walk at a moderate pace. Overall the staff were reasonably attentive and the accommodations were comfortable. However, there were a number of issues with the room that made the stay less than ideal. The hotel room had some minor issues with trash left on the floor from a previous guest and a broken drawer handle and bathtub drain. Our room, which looked north towards the Capitol, was noisy due to the interstate next to the hotel as well as the Cajun restaurant beneath it, which played loud music until midnight on Saturday and Wednesday. It took me three days to get an answer from the sales staff about my room rate, which was not what I expected and appeared to be due to a problem with the main Hilton reservation system, not the local hotel. But the biggest problem was finding an upholstery pin embedded point side up in the sheepskin mattress pad near the foot of my bed, which left several bloody scratches on my leg before I tore the bed apart and found it. After I brought it to the attention of the front desk clerks, they gave me one night free as compensation, which I appreciated. When the hotel manager emailed to ask me about my stay, I wrote him a long note with pictures showing the pin and the scratches, but after ten days I still had not received an acknowledgment from him. Normally I like Hilton Garden, so I was disappointed at the multiple issues this property had, but would consider staying at another HG in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the Interstate and the Cajun restaurant on 6th Street if you are sens...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear psfern,

Thank you for your review and business from your most recent stay with us! I sincerely apologize for the inconviences caused to you during your stay with the wool mattress pad and our manager not contacting you back in regards to your stay. I have personally addressed these issues with our management team and have had them resolved. Please contact me directly at your earliest convience so I may make this right for you and win your loyalty back to our property. Thank you again for your feedback and have a wonderful week!

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Prior to staying at this hotel, Hilton Garden Inn had always been my preferred hotel brand. It's more reasonable in cost than the full service Hiltons, and the brand has always been extremely consistent. I like the brand for both business and leisure but I was disappointed in this property.

This hotel, unlike every other Garden Inn I've been to, is not built to the typical brand look. Instead of walking in to a comfortable atrium which usually has a nice fireplace and dining area off to the side, the entrance off the street is practically on top of the front desk. Oddly there was an atrium up on the 10th floor or so. The restaurant was on the top floor.

Biggest issue I had was with checkin. I showed up early and expected my room not to be ready. It's common on busy weekends that the hotels won't be able to accommodate early checkin and I have no issue leaving my bags and exploring the city until a room is ready. However, the front desk refused to take down my information to contact me when the room was ready. They advised that checkin time was 3pm and to come back at 3pm. No explanation about why this property could not fulfill the same courtesy shown by its sister hotels and simply notify me when the room was ready. Icy demeanor of the front desk clerk started my entire visit off very poorly.

Most of the hotel's front facing staff was unpleasant. No smiles from any front desk agents, and when I encountered housekeepers in the hallways they did not even acknowledge me. Operator was also extremely short when I called with a few questions from my room.

The other major problem with this hotel was the beds. Even after adjusting the dial, they were the most uncomfortable beds I've encountered in years. My best friend, who rarely travels, let me choose the hotel, and I was so embarrassed that I had been adamant we stay at this property. Neither of us got decent sleep the entire weekend.

On the positive side, the valet/bellmen were terrific! Yes, the hotel charges for valet parking, but I was informed about that ahead of time. They greeted us with smiles an took care of all our luggage, including storing it for a few hours. When the room was finally ready they brought everything up, again with a friendly attitude, and told us some features of the hotel (which of course, the horrible front desk was not interested in explaining to me). They were also fantastic on departure, helping us load our items out of the room and into our car.

It's a good location near the convention center and walking distance to nightlife.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DThistle
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Dthistle,

We sincerely apologize for the services provided to you during your most recent stay with us. Each area of opportunity is being addressed to ensure we improve our products and services for you and all future guests of our hotel. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and even though we are not your typical Hilton Garden Inn, our goal is to provide superior service and create extraordinary stays each and every time. If there is ever anything we can do to make this right and win your loyalty back, please do not hesitate to contact me direclty at anytime. Have a wonderful week!

Katy, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I will have to say I am a little biased because I have stayed at this hotel every other week for about a year now as part of my job. I can stay at any hotel in Austin and have stayed at some of the others on occasion over the years. I stay here exclusively now, because of the convenient location, the accommodations and most importantly the customer service. The Front Desk and Valets greet me by name when I check in and they have my paper work and keys ready to go. All I have to do is pick up the key. The entire staff goes out of their way to ensure a great stay. The hotel, the room and the restaurant are always clean and comfortable. I am sad to say that my new project won’t be taking me to Austin much anymore but anytime it does I won’t stay any place else. Great job by the entire team consistently delivered for over a year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear clown_puncher,

Thank you for your outstanding review from your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your loyalty and business and I want to personally thank you for your wonderful comments in regards to our excellent staff and location. Our team takes tremendous pride in our reviews and we continue to utilize your feedback to improve our products and services for you. Please contact me directly at anytime for future reservations or speical requests, I look forward to seeing you back soon!

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here for a volleyball tournament held at the Austin Convention Center. The location of the property was perfect - about 6-7 blocks from the convention center. The rooms are average in size, has updated electronics (TV, radio, etc) and are pretty clean. With the exception of the few things below, I wouldn't mind staying here again but will more than likely find another place because it was borderline in customer service and I don't like the fees for parking - although very common for the area.

First, there are no parking options for the hotel itself except valet which is a $14 per day or $26 charge for overnight guests. There are a few places on the street if you're lucky enough to get one, but these are metered and not worth the hassle. The hotels knows this so you're kind of a prisoner to their fees. I did appreciate that we could text our parking ticket number to the valet station and receive an estimated time to get our car. Although it wasn't very accurate, I think on a less busy weekend - it's a nice feature. We were told our car would be ready in 12 minutes and it was ready in 20 - not too bad.

When we arrived to check-in around 1pm we were told there were no rooms ready. I let the young lady know we would take whatever she had because my daughter needed to change and get to her game. She directed us to a bathroom and said we could stick around and see if anything opened up. After we changed clothes, I approached the desk again, this time a different person helped me and I asked again if there were rooms. She looked at our reservation and said yes, there were plenty and she could get us taken care of right away. Mind you, we were only in the restroom for 10 minutes if not less.

I'm a Hilton Honors member and I know, if possible when rooms are open, they're given out. I think it's just good customer service to get your guests situated as quickly as possible especially when they've mentioned they're on a tight schedule. If we had a choice to stay here again, I would probably ask that we move to another place that would be more willing to work with teams.

Although our room was clean, the comforter was dirty with visible brown marks. Could've been rust, dried blood or chocolate maybe? It was late and we didn't use it anyway so we didn't ask for another one.

We were on the 12th floor and could hear the noise from the bars below late into the evening. This wasn't huge as leaving the TV on masked the music.

Again - good location and clean were the best parts about our stay

cons: parking fee and customer service

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Gina34,

Thank you for your feedback. We are aware that parking in the area can be a bit high, which is why we strive to offer the lowest price for parking in our area. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel, we also apologize for your check-in experience. We hope that next time you’re in the area you will consider staying with us. We truly appreciate your business and please contact me directly for future reservations and any special requests you might have.

Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

The title says it all. Great service cannot triumph over awful beds and pillows.

The location was great as well as great service from the front desk to the bellman. Too bad the awful bed is what I will remember from this trip.

Please, please update the beds.

• Stayed January 2013
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear ousax,

Thank you for your review from your most recent stay with us. I appreciate your feedback and comments and I truly apologize for the condition of the garden sleep system beds. I will personally inspect our guest rooms to ensure that our GSS Beds are in top condition and extra comfortable for all future stays. Please contact me directly in the future for reservations and any special requests you might have. Thank you again and have a wonderful week!

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed here for the annual Dell World convention and was very pleased with my stay. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The location is great if you are attending anything at the convention center. Also close to great restaurants, the UT campus and other sites. Overall, great stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Good Morning Laura_Gamble,

Thank you for your review from your most recent stay with us. We appreciate your business and honest feedback provided to help us continue to improve our products and servcies for you and all guests. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our location and we look forward to seeing you back in the future. Please contact me directly for future reservations and special requests.